Jump to content
scaleface

Frogs on mh rods

Recommended Posts

I want to fish frogs over Chara algae matts this year and will be using a 7'0" mh action rod  spooled with mono . I pull bass from it all the time with other lures on this rod . What frog would excel in getting solid hook ups with this setup ?Perhaps one with slightly smaller hooks , softer body ..? 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackall kaera frog is a good finesse frog. Also the damiki air frog has air chambers so it can be used like a normal hollow body but is soft like a buzz toad. That way you could use your own size, gauge, and style of hook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unless you have a reason why you need to keep that mono on there, otherwise ditch it...froggin and mono shouldn't be in the same sentence...

 

or buy a spare spool to swap out with braid when you know your going to be froggin...

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How heavy is the mono? I think the power of your rod is less of an issue than the stretch of mono, especially on longer casts. I’d go with a pretty heavy mono if you could. 

 

I frog fished all the time with a MH rod but I was using braid and didn’t have many issues. 

 

All that being said I would look for finesse frogs that use premium hooks. I have not used it but I’m sure the Kaera frog uses top notch hooks. I’d also look at Teckel frogs, the ones I have seen use owner cutting point hooks. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frog Turds said:

unless you have a reason why you need to keep that mono on there, otherwise ditch it...froggin and mono shouldn't be in the same sentence...

There is a reason . i will never use braid again . I hold  the rod in front of the reel with the line between my finger and thumb . Thats the way I have done it for fifty years its a habit and am not going to change now . Braid slices my index finger  on a hookset , just like a knife .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scaleface said:

There is a reason . i will never use braid again . I hold  the rod in front of the reel with the line between my finger and thumb . Thats the way I have done it for fifty years its a habit and am not going to change now . Braid slices my index finger  on a hookset , just like a knife .

Before braid became the big thing, everybody frogged with mono.It will still work

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

didnt say it was impossible and wouldnt work/cant work, but whats the best tool for the froggin job?...I like to stack things in my favor whenever possible...why I said unless you have a reason to...since you do, and its your bass'n game you'll make do/make it work for ya the best you can...

 

but thank goodness we've got modern line choices and not just stuck with mono...for example, you'd have ALOT of bad days fishin mono in my waters...

 

20190211_010431.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frog Turds said:

you'd have ALOT of bad days fishin mono in my waters...

This chara is not anchored and comes in easily. I have caught bass up to 7 lbs in it before and I bring them in cocooned in the stuff . Being I'm fishing from a small aluminum boat all the techniques I use are on four or five combos . If I were fishing  your stuff I would  probably wrap my finger in bowlers tape and switch to braid .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

by means no disrespect Scale ;) ...you're working with what you prefer and have...I dont use smaller frogs much but they have lighter wire frog hooks...

 

whether its a single hook with toads, lighter wire ingeneral will penetrate easier...since using mono and does have give/stretch you arent likely as to bend lighter wire hooks... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have and use the Jackall Kaera Frog, booyah, and  spro hollow body frogs.

Of the three I use most, I’d recommend in this order for you.

The booyah is the softest great hookup % and least expensive.

The Kaera Frog is slightly smaller profile but still weighs 1/2 oz.

The spro is my favorite, but I fish it on a heavy rod with braid.

Hope this helps some.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was gonna use that outfit I would get the softest hollow body frog with the best premium hooks you can get. 

 

That to me is the original Scum Frog. 

The entite Scum line doesn't get much play here but that's ok. 

 

Pick one up and try it. 

They're cheap enough to play with. 

 

 

 

 

 

Mike

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booyah Pad Crasher. Incredibly soft body, good hooks, amazing walking action. heart wrenching topwater strikes. also, if mono floats your boat, use it. no harm done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frog Turds said:

didnt say it was impossible and wouldnt work/cant work, but whats the best tool for the froggin job?...I like to stack things in my favor whenever possible...why I said unless you have a reason to...since you do, and its your bass'n game you'll make do/make it work for ya the best you can...

 

but thank goodness we've got modern line choices and not just stuck with mono...for example, you'd have ALOT of bad days fishin mono in my waters...

 

20190211_010431.jpg

 

I fish mono in this all the time!

 

 

images (2).jpg

I catch bass like these 😉

 

 

catchoftheday.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not all froggin' is done in a jungle ... some of us use frogs in open, shallow water ... my big game mono with a mh rod works ok for me ...

 

good fishing ...  

 

Image result for harrison hoge superior frog

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike L said:

If I was gonna use that outfit I would get the softest hollow body frog with the best premium hooks you can get. 

 

That to me is the original Scum Frog. 

The entite Scum line doesn't get much play here but that's ok. 

 

Pick one up and try it. 

They're cheap enough to play with. 

 

After seeing my fellow Floridian @Mike L mention the scum frog, I decided to give them a try. I fished the original series, which I believe has a 3/0 or 4/0 Gammy hook in it, on a St Croix M and MH rods with braid. I liked the brand enough the pair of original Scum frogs I bought now have a family. The collection includes the trophy, the popper, the big/little foots. The trophy line all have a 4/0 Owner. 

 

My father-in-law fishes with me on occasion, and has used the collection of Scum Frogs I have. His preferred rod that he fishes with is a St. Croix Mojo Bass MH spinning rod that has mono on it. He has had no issues catching fish with this setup and the Scum frogs. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm frogging a bit more this year also. Last season I was throwing the Booyah Pad Crushers and Pad Crusher Jr's. Done ok. Wish my hook up rate was better. I'll work on that this year. Want to pick up a few popping versions. I fish them now on a MH and a Med. rod. I'm in a search mode now for a multipurpose rod or Pitching, Flipping & Frogging. I'll find it but over the last couple of weeks of searching I haven't found it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at wal Mart awhile ago and picked up two Scum frogs .  Ill keep an eye out for the Jackall kaera frog's .

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 10:24 AM, FCPhil said:

How heavy is the mono? I think the power of your rod is less of an issue than the stretch of mono, especially on longer casts. I’d go with a pretty heavy mono if you could. 

 

I frog fished all the time with a MH rod but I was using braid and didn’t have many issues. 

 

All that being said I would look for finesse frogs that use premium hooks. I have not used it but I’m sure the Kaera frog uses top notch hooks. I’d also look at Teckel frogs, the ones I have seen use owner cutting point hooks. 

Jackall makes killer baits. I can't wait for warmer water to try a Kaera as well as my Pad Crashers, Teckels and toad baits. 

On 2/16/2019 at 10:26 AM, scaleface said:

There is a reason . i will never use braid again . I hold  the rod in front of the reel with the line between my finger and thumb . Thats the way I have done it for fifty years its a habit and am not going to change now . Braid slices my index finger  on a hookset , just like a knife .

I am sorry, I am having a hard time with this. You get cut by braid (the right tool for the job) so you want to use a rubber band to set hooks on a frog at distance. If using mono, go to, at the least a H power rod. I, personally, use 50# braid on a 7'3" H power Ethos HD, even in clear water. It just makes more sense to me. I also toss soft swim baits like the 5" weedless Rising Son on a 6/0 Beast 1/4oz hook on this combo. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at Tuf-Line Super Cast.  No stretch, acts much like mono.  It's my favorite for topwater.  Break strength is about double that of mono, when comparing diameter.  So, 30# line feels like 15# mono.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Drew03cmc said:

I am sorry, I am having a hard time with this. You get cut by braid (the right tool for the job) so you want to use a rubber band to set hooks on a frog at distance.

What dont you understand ? Mono doesnt cut flesh like braid . Thats what the question is about , what frog would work best with my current setups . I'm limited  to the number of rods I can take and am not going to purchase a frog rod .  I got the answers I wanted . I have no problem pulling  bass out of this stuff with my existing outfits .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that bamabass guy on youtube uses 17lb original stren mono with a mh loomis rod. works for him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't fish frogs much but I always use a MH for flipping cover. (1/2 oz. 4/0 hook jigs) A heavy would probably be better but I've never had any real problems with the MH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scaleface said:

Mono doesnt cut flesh like braid .

Neither does Supercast.  It has a coating, and is smooth and round like mono, but no stretch.  Check it out, it may be you're best solution. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stanley Top Toad. It’s a soft plastic, hollow body frog. Floats like a cork and holds up very well. It casts like a bomb too. It come pre-rigged on a double hook. The bait is super soft, which exposes the hooks very easily.  My hookup ratio is very good, even with a med rod. They’re cheap and they work very well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geez, I fished frogs on a 7'MH rod with 20lb mono for years and it worked just fine.  I have 50lb braid on now, but the mono was a lot easier to cast.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×