What crankbait rod works best at the $150 give or take a little for shallow to mid depth?

I've been looking at the

St. Croix premier 7' MH mod

Dobyns fury 705CB

ALX IKOS 7' MH

Any feed back on these three rods or additional considerations are welcome.  

I currently use a G-LOOMIS CBR 756 for squarebills and jerkbaits. and looking for something more aimed towards mid depth and can also throw shallow baits as well.

I actually placed an order for the Dobyns Fury 705CB earlier tonight for the same thing. 

I've also heard the Okuma EVX Crankbait rods are great at $100.

I have the Dobyns Fury 705CB. It is a decent rod for that 100-119 price range. Balances very nice with my Diawa Fuego. Haven't fished it yet.

7 medium or medium heavy duckett micro magic. American legacy fishing has them for under $150

As a self admitted St Croix fanatic I will say that after using a couple different rods for my crankbaits I found that their BassX in MH/Moderate worked great.  Under $100 and better than some more expensive rods. 

I've since switched to their AvidX cranking version but that's more than you want to spend...........Unless you happen to go to their factory and luck into a blemished model............which happened to me!

The action on the St. Croix Bass X medium heavy moderate makes it a fantastic rod for shallow to medium crankbaits.

Whippy enough to be accurate with shallow cranks but can handle heavier mid depth no problem.

I regret getting rid of mine for sure.

I think you're looking at rods heavier power than necessary for shallow/mid-depth crankbaits.

oe

Fury 705cb works pretty good for me for shallow and mid diving cranks. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the ALX IKOS Hustler.

I'd go with a rod in the following series St Croix Mojo, Shimano SLX, Shimano Curado, or Dobyns Fury rod series. Not impressed with ALX rods.

Thanks guys! The ALX IKOS is praised on the tackle warehouse reviews which is the only reason I’m considering it, I’ve never handled one, the only Dobyns Rod I have used is a Sierra micro 735c and haven’t really had a chance to fish it but it looks amazing.

The mojo glass and bass x I’ve handled at the store but never put the premier in my hands it’s more than likely going to come down to one of the st Croix rods since I’m going to bass pro this weekend and if they have them in stock so I should have asked which of the st Croix rods is best for shallow to medium depth? Is it really worth going up to the avid for a Crankbait rod? Thanks 

To me it was worth moving up to the Avid.....

Last year I was using a Daiwa Tatula 7'2" MH/R glass rod for all moving baits. It's a great all around moving bait stick. This year, I added the 7' Tatula glass M/R rod which will be better for shallow and medium diving crankbaits in open water as it has a bit more flex and should cast the smaller ones a little further too. I can't wait to try it out. So there's another option to consider.

22 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

Last year I was using a Daiwa Tatula 7'2" MH/R glass rod for all moving baits. It's a great all around moving bait stick. This year, I added the 7' Tatula glass M/R rod which will be better for shallow and medium diving crankbaits in open water as it has a bit more flex and should cast the smaller ones a little further too. I can't wait to try it out. So there's another option to consider.

I use the graphite Tatula M/R for lipless and shallow to medium divers as well. I like it a lot better than my Fury 705cb. 

Have you thrown deep divers on your MH Glass? I've been looking at that rod or either the heavy.

• Like 1

Just now, LonnieP said:

I use the graphite Tatula M/R for lipless and shallow to medium divers as well. I like it a lot better than my Fury 705cb. 

Have you thrown deep divers on your MH Glass? I've been looking at that rod or either the heavy.

I have thrown a few deep divers, but I fish more shallow than deep. I can tell you without question that you definitely would not need the heavy for deep divers as the MH has plenty of backbone and still a fair amount of tip -- more than your typical deep diving cranking rod will. They list the heavy rod as a spinnerbait rod, but unless you're fishing 3/4 or larger spinnerbaits or perhaps a smaller spinnerbait with a heavy trailer.

It also makes a fantastic spinnerbait/bladed jig/swim jig rod, but is also nice when fishing a squarebill around cover where you want a fairly quick rebound after hitting a stump.

• Thanks 1