Jump to content

How many of the bass species/subspecies have you caught?


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, ol'crickety said:

@TnRiver46

 

You're in first with seven. Since I started the thread, a meanmouth counts. It's genetically and visually distinct, so it stands alone. 

 

@Woody B

 

Woody, Maine is the Land of the White Perch. They're in pert near every lake, pond, and bog, but I've never caught one. I always figured I would while fishing for black bass, but I think my lures are too big, even though they grow to 14 and 15 inches. I'm pretty sure I had one hooked once. I saw a flash of silver while trolling a spinner and then it freed itself. 

 

@Wprich

 

What in the heck is that? It's beautiful! 

It's a Bartram Bass I first remember them being mentioned as a species maybe 6 years ago and think I caught that one in 2019

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

White Bass, Striped Bass are true bass, not a Black Bass family. If we are including “all Bass” then add salt water species.

Giant Back Sea Bass

White Sea Bass

Calico Bass

Barred Sand Bass

Spotted Bay Bass

Cabrillo

Stripe Bass

Fresh water White Bass

Hybrids and Intergrades are not a species.

Tom

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Florida LMB

Northern LMB

Smallmouth

Kentucky Spot

Suwannee Bass

Shoal Bass

Maybe an Alabama Spot? Not sure how you’d know without testing, but it was from part of the Coosa drainage

Redeye bass


Suwannee’s are probably my favorite, we’d wade clearish spring water in Florida to catch them. Loved square bills and top waters. Very unique fishery in the state, although not that different then how I’ve caught various river bass in other states.


Ive caught 2 or 3 in North Georgia creeks I’ve got no clue what they were. Looked like a smallmouth/shoal bass cross but in an area that theoretically wouldn’t have either. Reckon either way they fall under the redeye bass category and then what sub subspecies they are is the question.

 

I think Guadalupe and Bartram’s are the only widely recognized ones I still need to get.

 

As far as sub-subspecies, I really want a Chattahoochee bass (Georgia) and a Warrior bass (Alabama). I believe the states recognize those fish as unique species but IGFA puts them in the same redeye category.

On 12/31/2022 at 12:35 AM, TnRiver46 said:

 

Suwannee (didn’t eat those, only got them for the first time today )

 

 

Catch it out of the Suwannee or a tributary?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
35 minutes ago, gimruis said:

No one has caught a Rock Bass here?!

 

Or maybe no one wants to brag about it…

Not down here - but when I lived in Bemidji, I'd target Rock Bass...mom loved the taste and I liked them too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

F Largemouth ( probably northern too)

 Suwannee bass

Sunshine bass ( cross between a striper and white bass I think.)

I caught a strange looking bass once in the Ockloconee river that had red eyes and some red on its fins. I assume it was a red eye bass.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m in the same boat with Ol’Crickety, only caught two, LM in Fl and, SM when I lived in NC. Going to try and get back to NC/ TN area this summer and visit some friends and fish for smallies again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
10 hours ago, bigbassin' said:

Florida LMB

Northern LMB

Smallmouth

Kentucky Spot

Suwannee Bass

Shoal Bass

Maybe an Alabama Spot? Not sure how you’d know without testing, but it was from part of the Coosa drainage

Redeye bass


Suwannee’s are probably my favorite, we’d wade clearish spring water in Florida to catch them. Loved square bills and top waters. Very unique fishery in the state, although not that different then how I’ve caught various river bass in other states.


Ive caught 2 or 3 in North Georgia creeks I’ve got no clue what they were. Looked like a smallmouth/shoal bass cross but in an area that theoretically wouldn’t have either. Reckon either way they fall under the redeye bass category and then what sub subspecies they are is the question.

 

I think Guadalupe and Bartram’s are the only widely recognized ones I still need to get.

 

As far as sub-subspecies, I really want a Chattahoochee bass (Georgia) and a Warrior bass (Alabama). I believe the states recognize those fish as unique species but IGFA puts them in the same redeye category.

Catch it out of the Suwannee or a tributary?

Santa Fe 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
12 hours ago, bigbassin' said:

Florida LMB

Northern LMB

Smallmouth

Kentucky Spot

Suwannee Bass

Shoal Bass

Maybe an Alabama Spot? Not sure how you’d know without testing, but it was from part of the Coosa drainage

Redeye bass


Suwannee’s are probably my favorite, we’d wade clearish spring water in Florida to catch them. Loved square bills and top waters. Very unique fishery in the state, although not that different then how I’ve caught various river bass in other states.


Ive caught 2 or 3 in North Georgia creeks I’ve got no clue what they were. Looked like a smallmouth/shoal bass cross but in an area that theoretically wouldn’t have either. Reckon either way they fall under the redeye bass category and then what sub subspecies they are is the question.

 

I think Guadalupe and Bartram’s are the only widely recognized ones I still need to get.

 

As far as sub-subspecies, I really want a Chattahoochee bass (Georgia) and a Warrior bass (Alabama). I believe the states recognize those fish as unique species but IGFA puts them in the same redeye category.

Catch it out of the Suwannee or a tributary?

 

Whoa! You are the leader, sir.

 

Nascar Esports GIF by Richmond Raceway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

Santa Fe 

That was my favorite spot to wade for them. Never saw a gator once but still kept an eye open.

 

2 hours ago, ol'crickety said:

 

Whoa! You are the leader, sir.

 

Nascar Esports GIF by Richmond Raceway

I can’t think of the username right now, but I think another Florida guy may have me beat. I think he’s caught all 9 IGFA species and then several of the Georgia/Alabama recognized sub-subspecies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
6 hours ago, GRiver said:

I’m in the same boat with Ol’Crickety, only caught two, LM in Fl and, SM when I lived in NC. Going to try and get back to NC/ TN area this summer and visit some friends and fish for smallies again. 

 

If bigbassin' ever meets us and ignores us, that is his due. 

 

You Lose Good Day GIF

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, ol'crickety said:

 

If bigbassin' ever meets us and ignores us, that is his due. 

 

You Lose Good Day GIF

Biggest perk of traveling for work is all the new waters you can fish! If it weren’t for that I’d probably just have FLMB, Kentucky Spots, Suwannee, and Smallmouth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
40 minutes ago, bigbassin' said:

Biggest perk of traveling for work is all the new waters you can fish! If it weren’t for that I’d probably just have FLMB, Kentucky Spots, Suwannee, and Smallmouth.

 

You are humble, but you are still allowed to Good-day-ma'am-me if you wish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


  • fishing forum

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.