Jump to content

Do computers know more about fishing than we do?


Recommended Posts

  • Super User
2 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

A little off topic but I saw a video on the next improvement in FFS.  When you locate a fish on sonar, you mark it with the cursor and it will follow the fish wherever it moves.  As FFS sonar users know, it’s not unusual for a fish to move in and out of view and is very hard to track if moving.  

That's very interesting.  I would love to see that video.  I've wondered if Humminbird would try to take Target Lock in that direction.  It would be VERY hard to do with fish that are close to the bottom.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

So....just now, I got a newsfeed prompt about....ChatGPT .... because...well because Alphabet,  I suppose.   Anyway, I got to this paragraph and just sort of stared at my phone:

 

Last year, Meta warned users that its Blenderbot 3 chatbot can make false or contradictory statements, misremember details, and "forget that they are a bot".

 

Um....wow.  Starting to sound like HAL or Skynet

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
5 minutes ago, Choporoz said:

So....just now, I got a newsfeed prompt about....ChatGPT .... because...well because Alphabet,  I suppose.   Anyway, I got to this paragraph and just sort of stared at my phone:

 

Last year, Meta warned users that its Blenderbot 3 chatbot can make false or contradictory statements, misremember details, and "forget that they are a bot".

 

Um....wow.  Starting to sound like HAL or Skynet

Remember, AIs learn everything they know from humans so they are limited in how smart they can get.  😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
30 minutes ago, Tennessee Boy said:

Remember, AIs learn everything they know from humans so they are limited in how smart they can get.  😊

If I am the limiting benchmark, we're good.

   But I am struggling with your statement.  It isn't hard for me to imagine a 'computer' learning more about stuff, especially physical environment stuff on their own....and accumulating knowledge and making interpretations way beyond what a human has programmed or wrote on the internet somewhere....I guess that might make them smarter.  We're already asking them to make decisions that go beyond purely finite, objective criteria.  I'm not scared, or even too concerned....but I hope some with power and influence are.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
20 minutes ago, Choporoz said:

If I am the limiting benchmark, we're good.

   But I am struggling with your statement.  It isn't hard for me to imagine a 'computer' learning more about stuff, especially physical environment stuff on their own....and accumulating knowledge and making interpretations way beyond what a human has programmed or wrote on the internet somewhere....I guess that might make them smarter.  We're already asking them to make decisions that go beyond purely finite, objective criteria.  I'm not scared, or even too concerned....but I hope some with power and influence are.

I was joking mostly with my last statement.   I think AI is going to change the world in a major way.   I have no idea what the new world will look like.  The capacities of ChatGPT blows my mind.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator

Writing research papers is a waste of the tech. I'm more interested in it crunching my blood glucose levels and activity in order to develop real-time insulin dosage. Things like that are where it's more relevant than ChatGTP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
9 minutes ago, BrianMDTX said:

Ask it this:

 

“What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?" 🤣

And the response is:

 

The airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is approximately 11 meters per second, or roughly 25 miles per hour. However, it should be noted that this is a reference to a line from the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," and is not a scientifically accurate statement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, Tennessee Boy said:

And the response is:

 

The airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is approximately 11 meters per second, or roughly 25 miles per hour. However, it should be noted that this is a reference to a line from the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," and is not a scientifically accurate statement.

Well, hush my mouth and beat me with a shrubbery! 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
1 hour ago, Deleted account said:

Or what is it's favorite color?...

That’s where they get ya right there 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
2 hours ago, Deleted account said:

Or what is it's favorite color?...

What is your favorite color?
 

As an AI, I do not have the ability to have preferences or feelings, including a favorite color. I am designed to process and respond to information based on my programming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
7 minutes ago, Tennessee Boy said:

What is your favorite color?
 

As an AI, I do not have the ability to have preferences or feelings, including a favorite color. I am designed to process and respond to information based on my programming.

Go Away GIF by James Bond 007

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I’ve thrown a lot of stuff at it on a lot of different subjects.  It’s amazing.  I have found some limits to it’s ability but people also have limits.   What amazes me the most is its ability to understand context.   I posted earlier its response to “What is your personal best largemouth”.  It said basically it can’t fish so it doesn’t have a personal best.  What’s amazing is it’s ability to understand the question.  If you ask a bunch of random strangers on the street that question, think about the responses you would get.  If you ask an avid angler they would tell you about the biggest largemouth they have caught.  Most people would have no idea what you’re asking.  We use the term personal best to mean the biggest fish you have personally caught.  Not the prettiest fish or the smartest fish or the endless other ways you can judge a fish.  The same term “personal best” means countless other things in other contexts.  ChatGPT was able to understand that the word largemouth refers to a species of fish.  From that it figured out that I was asking the question in the context of fishing.  It had learned from its training that fishermen refer to the biggest fish they have caught as their personal best.  So it understood that the question “What is your personal best largemouth?” means “What is the biggest largemouth bass you have ever caught while fishing?”  That may seem simple to you but it is not as simple as you think.  It could mean anything.  It could mean what is your best painting of a large human mouth.  People understand context easily most of the time.  Teaching computers to do it is extremely hard.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Interesting info on this thread Tennessee Boy. In many ways I hope computers never know more than we do regarding fishing. We as fisherman need to learn about why bass strike, colors, retrieves and all else. Much is trial and error. That's what makes this sport so good, is always learning something new.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
On 1/24/2023 at 9:40 PM, Glenn said:

While there's much hoopla surrounding ChatGPT, remember it gathers all its information from articles already published on the Internet, which means plagiarism is a major issue.  It's why many schools and colleges are banning the use of chatGPT to write papers. 

 

It also infringes on the monetization ability of the copyright owner.

 

In addition, good luck if you want to use chatGPT to write about something so new, very little, if nothing at all, has been written on the subject.

 

In essence, nothing original is created from chatGPT.  It's all stolen content pieced together.

 

C'est Fini 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
8 minutes ago, Mobasser said:

Interesting info on this thread Tennessee Boy. In many ways I hope computers never know more than we do regarding fishing. We as fisherman need to learn about why bass strike, colors, retrieves and all else. Much is trial and error. That's what makes this sport so good, is always learning something new.

I will say that ChatGPT probably knows more about fishing (and everything else) than any human.    Just for fun I've been asking it questions that others have asked on the forum.  I have not posted the results.  It answers most of the questions better than I can answer them.  Someone ask a question about throwing a whopper plopper on a specific model of  Dobyn's rod.  ChatGPT understood the question.  It knew the weight range of whopper plopper and the specs on the specific rod.  It gave a correct answer based on that information.  Anyone can look that up on the Internet.  I suspect that the person who ask the question just wanted some confirmation from other anglers.

 

What ChatGPT doesn't have is wisdom,  judgement and the human touch.  It answers the age old question about what type of line is best by saying they all have their place.  We all know that's true but it's still fun to argue about it weekly (if not daily) on this forum and we learn other things in the process.  I don't think we're going to be replaced by a chatbot anytime soon.  :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


  • Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...