Jump to content

Hurricane fishing?


ol'crickety

Recommended Posts

  • Super User

Hurricane Lee is expected to hit the Maine coast the most. So, my question is for you Florida, Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, and Georgia fishers: How's fishing during a hurricane?

 

I'm assuming I'll have to cast heavy lures. I'm building a Whopper Plopper that's 2' long, thinking that it'll take a prop that big to attract their attention. I'm further assuming that I won't even have to cast. Just open the bail and let the wind take the lure. 

 

Seriously, we're supposed to lose power so I'll likely be incommunicado.  

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I would probably focus on more important things that fishing to be honest.  I've never experienced a hurricane, and I never will where I live.  But I have to imagine that a recreational activity like fishing would not be on my radar if a hurricane was on its way.  I would seriously consider evacuation.

 

There's plenty of members here that have been through hurricanes.  I'm sure they can offer some advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Windy!  Seriously, Florida bass bite better when a storm is approaching.  Fishing may remain good for the first day.  The calm after the storm passes, can be very tough especially if the water remains high.   I have fished in 30-40 mph winds.  Try to find a sheltered bay or the leeward side of the lake.  Canal and river fishing is a lot easier.  Fishing in any wind greater than that is best avoided. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator

I got on a boat in Mexico beach FLA with a Capt named psycho Dave one time and he drove around looking for a hurricane……..

 

we caught fish but lunches were lost 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Guys, it's just a little gallows humor. I won't be fishing. Heck, my canoe gets bullied if the wind is over 5 m.p.h. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a fellow Mainer I believe you are underestimating what you need to do. A 2' whopper plopper may be OK for the smaller bass, but for the " once in a hurricane Maine big fish bite" I wouldn't be afraid to try 2 1/2 - 3' size WP.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Ol Crickety, hunker down and be ready. I've never been through a hurricane. Catt has plenty of experience with this. I do know that here in Missouri, the bite can be killer just before a big storm blows in. Just don't get caught out there when it happens.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 minute ago, Mobasser said:

Just don't get caught out there when it happens.

 

I won't. It's Saturday and I'll be hunkered.

 

1 minute ago, Mobasser said:

the bite can be killer just before a big storm blows in

 

I am going fishing today, but not tomorrow. I'm doing a rare midday fishing trip and to be frank, I don't know anything about catching bass at noon, so I won't be catching 30 bass. If I catch five, I'll be happy.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All you folks in the danger zone be careful out there. If you have never been in a hurricane before than be aware of some things that most people don't think of when there is high winds. I am sure most of you know how to shelter safely....but remember things like lawn or patio furniture, garbage cans, hanging decorations like windchimes and hanging bird feeders can easily become projectiles in high winds and can do massive damage. Plus it is no fun trying to collect them all after the storm. So try to stash all that stuff somewhere inside if possible, or at least try to get in the least windy place and make sure it is anchored down as much as possible.  And don't forget to tie your canoe down or get it into the garage.......Be safe out there. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

A friend and I got caught in the middle of a horrible storm years ago on Missouri's Truman lake. We were on a point, and the bite was fast and furious. We ignored the dark black/ green clouds in the distance. Some crappie guys were fishing near us. They all left, and we stayed. We were lucky we made it back to the Marina.          I lost a nice rod that went overboard, as well as a new cap, that blew off my head, and went flying across the lake. I made up my mind that I would never do this again, under any circumstances. I was 25 yrs old then. Much older and wiser now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
7 minutes ago, Kirtley Howe said:

All you folks in the danger zone be careful out there. If you have never been in a hurricane before than be aware of some things that most people don't think of when there is high winds. I am sure most of you know how to shelter safely....but remember things like lawn or patio furniture, garbage cans, hanging decorations like windchimes and hanging bird feeders can easily become projectiles in high winds and can do massive damage. Plus it is no fun trying to collect them all after the storm. So try to stash all that stuff somewhere inside if possible, or at least try to get in the least windy place and make sure it is anchored down as much as possible.  And don't forget to tie your canoe down or get it into the garage.......Be safe out there. 

 

All great advice and much appreciated. I hadn't even considered the canoe and potential projectiles, so THANKS!

 

1 minute ago, Mobasser said:

A friend and I got caught in the middle of a horrible storm years ago on Missouri's Truman lake. We were on a point, and the bite was fast and furious. We ignored the dark black/ green clouds in the distance. Some crappie guys were fishing near us. They all left, and we stayed. We were lucky we made it back to the Marina.          I lost a nice rod that went overboard, as well as a new cap, that blew off my head, and went flying across the lake. I made up my mind that I would never do this again, under any circumstances. I was 25 yrs old then. Much older and wiser now.

 

I'm guessing many of us have versions of your story. The key is to survive the follies of youth.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've fished in many a hurricane and big nasty storms in the thick of it, fish are just a crazy and active as the weather fished in. Fished Frances and Jean which were direct hits in my neck of the woods, back to back! Neat when those eyes pass over, the wind dies, the sky turns a rich blue, what a lovely day! Until the back side of the storm comes back, like a wall of devils!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

You'll need to upsize your anchor for fishing in a hurricane.  If you normally use a 5lb claw anchor for your canoe, I'd probably upgrade to a Ford Expedition or bigger.  

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, king fisher said:

Fishing may be difficult, but the surf will be big. Grab your surf board and make your way to the ocean.

 

....Or make your way to the local jetty lol

 

IMG_1193.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ol'crickety, If you don't already have one, get a generator at least big enough to run your fridge, freezer and a few lamps. If you were down south with us I'd add air conditioner too. 

After being w/o power for three days this spring, we're going to get a generac.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

In Cat 4 - 5 hurricanes I like to fish bigger bodies of water.

That way if you get blown around the likelihood of still being on water is much better.

I just had to.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
2 hours ago, volzfan59 said:

@ol'crickety, If you don't already have one, get a generator at least big enough to run your fridge, freezer and a few lamps. If you were down south with us I'd add air conditioner too. 

After being w/o power for three days this spring, we're going to get a generac.

 

I've got one. It's a big, quiet Honda. 

 

3 hours ago, Bankc said:

You'll need to upsize your anchor for fishing in a hurricane.  If you normally use a 5lb claw anchor for your canoe, I'd probably upgrade to a Ford Expedition or bigger.  

 

Oh, I love ^this^ comment and I just purchased a Ford Expedition. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've fished torrential thunderstorms (never on a boat) which can be borderline stupid but a hurricane would be way overboard.  I would think the bite would be great but controlled casting would be impossible.  I'd just wait to fish post-frontal on that cane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
18 hours ago, einscodek said:

I've fished torrential thunderstorms (never on a boat) which can be borderline stupid but a hurricane would be way overboard.  I would think the bite would be great but controlled casting would be impossible.  I'd just wait to fish post-frontal on that cane.

I once fished in 80 mph wind gusts, just to say I did.  Not from a boat, obviously.  Didn't get a single bite.  I was launching that spinnerbait into space though!  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bankc said:

I once fished in 80 mph wind gusts, just to say I did.  Not from a boat, obviously.  Didn't get a single bite.  I was launching that spinnerbait into space though!  

Not many big bass in space  :)   I'm crazy enough too to try but the lakes I fish banks have lots of timber and hurricane force winds + flying timber = not good.  No way on a boat in a hurricane lol thats common sense for most I hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

About 6 or 7 years ago when we had yet another tropical storm pass through the Hilton Head area my son said, "Let's go fishing!"

 

We lived in a community where the golf course had shuttered, so we got on our bikes and rode the cart path to one of the lagoons where there was a big maintenance pavilion a few hundred feet from the water so we could try and duck in and out of the weather as the rain bands passed by.

 

We caught nothing, but we had fun. At one point when the rain and winds were high I looked over at my son, he had his line in the water and he was leaning back smiling and shouting at the weather. He reminded my of that hurricane scene with Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump.

 

When the storm passed and the sun broke out I remember a big gator coming out of the bank and swimming off. And although it was a better time to fish, my son said "I'm done. Let's go home."

 

It's one of those many experiences with my son that I will never forget.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.