Jump to content

Thoughts on Fishing when you are old and tired...


Go to solution Solved by Kirtley Howe,

Recommended Posts

I’m 60 and beat up. A little more Carolina rigs. I will slow down a little if my shoulder hurts and take some Tylenol. Finished concrete when I was younger, one of the dumbest things I ever did. I won’t stop till you m taking a dirt nap . Love it way to much 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I’m 70 and can still kick a**.   I have to use a butt seat to stabilize my balance in choppy water though. That’s okay.  I just can’t deal with idiots at the ramps and have all the competition I can handle at this point.  

4A150DD1-0EE9-4775-95EB-72DEEE365109.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

So many inspirational role models in this thread.

 

I'm 64 and have limitations; mentally & physically.

Once something goes onto the 'I can't do that anymore' list,

it's mostly a permanent deal. 

Then there's the, "I think I can, but it might not be a good idea' list.

At least half the time, I do it any way.

That one's burned me a few times too.

Less recently however.

Here's to having good days. 

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I didn’t retire from work until age 72 to spend more family time. The past 8 years were both great and horrible as life took twists and turns. The lows related to health issues out of our control, my sons fatal renal cancer passing away in our arms was the and is the traumatic and life changing. Cancer is something we can’t predict and now my wife has WM blood-bone cancer to deal with. 

We think retirement is the Golden age and a time to enjoy our bucket lists, doesn’t always work out that way.

Regrets are not spending enough time with those we love. No regrets with fishing, wouldn’t change anything and blessed.

I will still get up at 0 dark 30 to go fishing and look forward to getting on the water but my heart is no longer there.

Tom

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great thread. It is heartening to read everyone's stories.

 

I am not as old as a lot of you (62) but being at stage 5 kidney failure, torn labrum in both shoulders and having a misshapen disc in my lower back makes it hard to get out in the kayak some days.  Fortunately the rest of my health is really good and a lifetime of exercise (highly recommend to young folks) has left me with enough strength to still get out most weekends and as long as I can still fish I am not going to complain. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, pdxfisher said:

has left me with enough strength to still get out most weekends and as long as I can still fish I am not going to complain. 

 

You don't just "get out." You're a heckuva fisherman. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ol'crickety said:

 

You don't just "get out." You're a heckuva fisherman. 

 

Thanks! I still have not caught a 20lb bag of smallmouth though. One of these days though I will break through and get to join your "club" :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After an 18 month battle with various cancer my dad (67) was given months here at the end of September.  I've watched him go from being able to navigate wadding large trout streams to not lasting an hour out on the boat in a rather short period of time.  

 

My whole life we have traveled up and down the east coast for various types of fishing.  We had this week penciled in for a trip to chase salmon in NY at the beginning of the year, however do to his current state I'll be happy with taking him out on a local lake for an hour tomorrow. 

 

18 months ago I would have never envisioned this was the path of life.  He still hasn't officially retired from running his business and my brother and I's work life was the reason not to take trips over the last few years.  I would sacrifice a lot to be able to take one more trip.

 

The will is still there, but the pain and energy level is too much for him to overcome.  Last Monday he was telling me he was thinking about taking the fly rod for a walk.  We both knew that wasn't feasible, but we continued the conversation on which section of stream would be active and flies to use.

 

We are all here because of the same passion.  Whether it's your tired, in financial woes, or just in a rut in life, the passion of fishing is always an escape.  Even if that escape isn't wetting a line but just talking about it, even on a message board.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, pdxfisher said:

 

Thanks! I still have not caught a 20lb bag of smallmouth though. One of these days though I will break through and get to join your "club" :)

 

A 20-lb. bag of largemouths is easier than smallies. I would love to fish where you fish. It's one of the prettiest places that BR members fish, IMO. 

 

Heartbreaking, @WVU-SCPA. I love how you and your father talked about where you'd wade and what you'd cast. You are a wonderful son. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, WVU-SCPA said:

After an 18 month battle with various cancer my dad (67) was given months here at the end of September.  I've watched him go from being able to navigate wadding large trout streams to not lasting an hour out on the boat in a rather short period of time.  

 

My whole life we have traveled up and down the east coast for various types of fishing.  We had this week penciled in for a trip to chase salmon in NY at the beginning of the year, however do to his current state I'll be happy with taking him out on a local lake for an hour tomorrow. 

 

18 months ago I would have never envisioned this was the path of life.  He still hasn't officially retired from running his business and my brother and I's work life was the reason not to take trips over the last few years.  I would sacrifice a lot to be able to take one more trip.

 

The will is still there, but the pain and energy level is too much for him to overcome.  Last Monday he was telling me he was thinking about taking the fly rod for a walk.  We both knew that wasn't feasible, but we continued the conversation on which section of stream would be active and flies to use.

 

We are all here because of the same passion.  Whether it's your tired, in financial woes, or just in a rut in life, the passion of fishing is always an escape.  Even if that escape isn't wetting a line but just talking about it, even on a message board.

 

Sorry to hear you are going through this.  I hope your Dad finds some comfort,

 

My father passed away a few years ago.  I saw a lot of what you are going through drawn out over a much longer period as my Dad slowly deteriorated over time  due to COPD and a host of other physical ailments due to working in construction his whole life and always having a poor diet.  Even when he was 80 he was still sharp mentally and had the desire to fish but his body wouldn't let him.  He is the model I am not following.  Working out and staying in great shape, quitting smoking nearly 20 years ago, and having a relatively decent diet is giving me hope that I can fish and be active well into my 80s.  My plan is to keep my boat in a marina for the season when I hit my late 70s.  My Dad's most challenging task with fishing his last few years was launching and retrieving his boat.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anything better to do when yer getting older than fishing? 

Please don't say golf!

Toss in some strenuous hiking around the lakes and you have great exercise as well to keep the spirits and energy high!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm just a few months shy of 60. Retired from numerous health issues. I'm blessed to live within a ten minute drive of 4 ponds, a river, and a creek. Two hours is about the most I fish at a time. I'm a bank fisherman and try to keep it simple, I have between 2-5 rods and reels set up with different lures/options to take fishing so that I don't have to continually change lures. Keeping it simple keeps me fishing. Never take fishing for granted, it is a huge blessing and an excellent boost to mental health getting sunshine, fresh air, and the lift that simply comes from fishing. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I'm not thinking about fishing, I spend considerable time contemplating my mortality. Even when I am fishing, I still think about it. More and more each passing day.

 

I'll turn 65 this weekend. I'm not sure how I feel about that, other than it beats the alternative. My father woke up with a cough when he was 63 and never made it to 64.

 

The world around me has become a strange place, and realizing this, I think I understand at least partly why we aren't meant to live forever. I'm trying to formulate a plan to be able to spend my retirement years fishing like it was my job. I have lost 65 lbs since August of 2022 and feel better than I have in years, but that could just be the setup for Father Time and Mother Nature's ultimate sucker punch. 

 

I am blessed and thankful for the chance to make my evil plan a reality. I'm betting on me. The chips will fall wherever they may.

 

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking,

Racing around to come up behind you again.

The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older,

Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Capt Steve said:

@Captain Phil don't forget. You and I planned to meet this summer for lunch or to fish. Then the weather was like the surface of the sun for most of the summer. 
Now that it's cooler maybe we can try again. 

Love to.  Email or text me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Big Hands said:

When I'm not thinking about fishing, I spend considerable time contemplating my mortality. Even when I am fishing, I still think about it. More and more each passing day.

 

I'll turn 65 this weekend. I'm not sure how I feel about that, other than it beats the alternative. My father woke up with a cough when he was 63 and never made it to 64.

 

The world around me has become a strange place, and realizing this, I think I understand at least partly why we aren't meant to live forever. I'm trying to formulate a plan to be able to spend my retirement years fishing like it was my job. I have lost 65 lbs since August of 2022 and feel better than I have in years, but that could just be the setup for Father Time and Mother Nature's ultimate sucker punch. 

 

I am blessed and thankful for the chance to make my evil plan a reality. I'm betting on me. The chips will fall wherever they may.

 

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking,

Racing around to come up behind you again.

The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older,

Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death.

 

Retirement requires adjustment.  I retired twice, so it's something I think about often. Mentally you can do anything you can imagine. Physically, not so much.  Keeping in good shape will help with both.  What it will ultimately come down to are your genes and lifestyle.  Getting your head right is very important.  I don't fear death.  This world is so screwed up.  Turn off the so called News Channels.  Stay away from people who are obsessed with politics.  Find a peaceful place and don't worry about things you can't control.   You will reach a time when you will have to force yourself to get out of the house.  Do it.  Getting old does not have to be a negative.  You still have time to get things right. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
2 hours ago, Big Hands said:

I have lost 65 lbs since August of 2022

 

Double congrats, for you not only lost weight, but have kept it off for more than a year.

 

2 hours ago, Big Hands said:

When I'm not thinking about fishing, I spend considerable time contemplating my mortality. Even when I am fishing, I still think about it. More and more each passing day.

 

In addition to being tough enough to lose weight, you are wise and brave to contemplate your mortality and to live accordingly. 

 

2 hours ago, Big Hands said:

The world around me has become a strange place, and realizing this, I think I understand at least partly why we aren't meant to live forever.

 

Yep, we aren't meant to live forever. We take our turns riding this beautiful rock.

 

@Captain Phil: All great advice.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Captain Phil said:

 

don't fear death.  This world is so screwed up.  Turn off the so called News Channels.  Stay away from people who are obsessed with politics.  Find a peaceful place and don't worry about things you can't control.   You will reach a time when you will have to force yourself to get out of the house.  Do it.  Getting old does not have to be a negative.  You still have time to get things right. 

Absolutely. I quit watching news last winter as I realized starting my day, every day, with that garbage put me on the wrong foot. That single act has done more to improve my mental health and even lower my blood pressure than anything else. The news today doesn't inform. It is there to make you angry, upset, and fearful. That is their MO.

Add fishing to dropping that mental garbage and you can't help but feel better overall. Instead of news I now start my day with my favorite youtube fishing channels, outdoor channels, or nature documentaries. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I just recently started getting my senior discounts so I don’t have a lot to contribute.  I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread.  There’s a lot of great advice here.   👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 33oldtimer said:

Absolutely. I quit watching news last winter as I realized starting my day, every day, with that garbage put me on the wrong foot. That single act has done more to improve my mental health and even lower my blood pressure than anything else. The news today doesn't inform. It is there to make you angry, upset, and fearful. That is their MO.

Add fishing to dropping that mental garbage and you can't help but feel better overall. Instead of news I now start my day with my favorite youtube fishing channels, outdoor channels, or nature documentaries. 

i advise people i no --- most of whom are over 55 -- to stop watching the news.  it is so upsetting.  yet these people fail to take my advice.  then tomorrow, they get all upset, all over again, running around mad and angry and scared.....

yes, totally avoid the news..  

and those senior discounts! definitely....... you feel like you're earning new money every time u use 'em

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.