Sign in to follow this  
Redlinerobert

Shimano or Daiwa?

I was prepping some reels today for the big trip.  Looking at them all I could not help but notice that for the most part, Shimano baitcasters have some backplay.  I really hate that about their reels.  Even the Core, one of their newest designs has quite a bit of backplay.

My Daiwa reels on the other hand, have absoletely no back play.  Even the Sol, which is probably the least expensive of my Daiwa lineup, feels very precise.  

Bottom line, I like my Daiwa reels over my Shimano reels.  I think they look nicer, feel stronger, and are simply engineered better.  What do you guys think?  

ALL of my baitcasters are Shimano, and ALL of my spinning reels are Daiwa, I wouldn't have it any other way ;)

Redlinerobert,

You don't like the Shimano Cardiff or Calcutta?  Well, you wouldn't like these if you're into LP reels.  I have the cardiff 300 and I love it.  The Calcutta is even smooooooother.  

My next reel is going to be a Calcutta.  Then I'll be eating grass for breakfast for the next week.

Maybe if I had a higher end Daiwa, I could better compare the two but I only have a Procaster, which really is a good bang for the bucks.

Cheers!

I think he has some Calcutta's on his list of reels that are going on the trip.  They are the wrong hand for anyone who knows what they are doing but he's got them just the same!  ;D

(The handles are on the wrong side ;) )

No offense, and certainly no reflection on anybody's preference. But this stuff is old. The backplay issue on the Shimano has been around a LONNNNNNNG time. It doesn't affect the performance of the reel at all. I have Daiwa AND Shimano reels. I think there are other comparison factors of Daiwa to Shimano reels that are much more important than minimal backplay at little or no drag settings. JMHO.

Shimano baitcasters.......I have 5 50Mgs, 1 Calcutta TE200DC and 1 Calcutta 400B and none of them have any slack in the drawworks. I have had in the past, a couple of Calais, a Chronarch 100 a couple of Curados and a couple of Bantam XGs. I have loved em all!

Ronnie

I think he has some Calcutta's on his list of reels that are going on the trip. They are the wrong hand for anyone who knows what they are doing but he's got them just the same! ;D

(The handles are on the wrong side ;) )

He's got right handed reels?

ALL of my baitcasters are Shimano, and ALL of my spinning reels are Daiwa, I wouldn't have it any other way ;)

FourBizz,  I am the exact opposite of you.  All of my baitcasters are Daiwa, all spinning reels are Shimano until recently, I have purchased two Daiwa spinning reels.  Pretty hard to compete with the Stella's performance.   I do like the Daiwa spinning reels for their weight, or lack of thereof.  If I were to get a Shimano baitcaster I would probably purchase a Calcutta in a 50 size.  I love little round reels.  That thing is sweet and completely bulletproof. :(

Calcutta's are SWEEEEEEEET! I've got the 400B and 400TE. I think the 400b is my all time favorite reel. I had thought about a luna300 for my next rod, but if it aint broke....

I think a casting setup for dropshotting with a calcutta 50 would be WICKED!

I'm with both of you about 50/50...All my reels are Shimano. ;):(

::)

I have a few shimano reels guys.  Don't get me wrong, I do like them.  Just not as much as my Daiwa's.  I have 2 Chronarch MG's, 1 Chronarch,  1 Calcutta 300 TE, 1 Core, a Stella 3000, 1 Calcutta Stogie, and 6 Chronarch SF's.  

I can live with either Shimano or Daiwa.  With those choices how can you go wrong?  

Robert, make your trip more challenging and take some Zebco spincast reels.  I would be really curious as to how they would stand up to a Peacock.   :;)

I have 6 Shimano reels and 1 Daiwa and I enjoy each one of them individually.  I have 2 Curado 201 SF, 1 Calcutta 251, 1 Calais 201a, 1 Stradic 2500, 1 Sustain 2500 and finally a Daiwa Zillion that I purchased at the beginning of the year.  I looked at and fished a Steez and I did not see anything wrong with Zillion at about half the cost.

To make an analogy, I would compare my Calais to a Cadillac and the Zillion to a BMW.  Both great vehichles (reels), one smooth and the other a precision instrument.  Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either one.  My personal prefernce is Shimano but the Zillion is a workhorse of a reel.  If I had to pick a reel that was a bullet proof, everyday reel that does everything you ask of it, I would choose the Zillion over the Curado but if I wanted to increase my fishing pleasure then it is the Shimano Calais and the Stella all the way.

Shimano ;)

3 stella's

1 cronarch

1 calais

2 sustain's (Now my sons)

and my wife has a Diawa ::( she likes to drop and bang up a lot

Edit to add:

I might pick up the Team Daiwa® Steez Baitcast Reel

I've owned a Curado SF and two Cardiffs, and fished several other Shimanos.  I like them well enough, but I've always thought Shimano BCs felt unrefined.  The reels I had, and the ones I've fished, all had a distinctive metallic "clank" when engaging the spool that reverberated throughout the reel.  The Curado, and the ones I've handled in stores had spools with excessive side-to-sde play.   I also feel that they are over priced for the features they deliver.

I only own one Diawa reel, a spinning reel, which I like well enough.  But I won't buy anymore.  The spool wobbles and the material in the reel seem relatively cheap, if lightweight.

Stop reading now, because I'm going to plug a brand no-one asked about...

Abu Garcia.  I think it's the company right now at the top of the game.   The Revos are fantastic, exceptionally well built, and have a very "sure" feeling about them that I don't get with Shimanos.   I think the Revo STX is the quintessential low-profile baitcasting reel.   It's not the lightest reel, but it's light enough.  It doesn't scrimp on materials to reach it's relatively light weight.   It's got the best drag out there on a LP reel - bar none.  It doesn't have any excessive play in any respect.   It's smooth as butter and casts a mile.  There aren't any other BCs out there right now, regardless of price, that impresses me to the extent the Revo STX does.

Abu has another winner in their 800 series spinning reel.  I own two.  These reels are exceptionally well built.  These are the smoothest spinning reels I've tried.  These reels have the most instant "instant anti-reverse" I've seen on any reel.  Like the Revo, they have the best drags out there.  The rotors are exceptionally well balanced.   And again, smooth as butter.   When I bought them, I was considering Sustains, but the Abu were more impressive and smoother.  

Interesting.

After a 20 year absence, Abu Garcia appears to be back in the game.

Although I don't agree with ANYTHING you posted regarding Shimano reels, I will concede that it appears Garcia has finally rejoined the group of competative reel manufacturers. Two years from now we'll see if this is an exception or a trend. If these reels meet the test of time, then they are winners.

Time will tell.

I'm glad to see Abu cleaned up their line of products.

In LP reels, they only offer the REVO and MAX lines now.

In round reels, they still offer the old staples like the C3 and C4 (and a few others), and have brought back some popular models, like the Trophy reels.

They've really worked on their spinning line. They've added to the 100, 300 and 500 reels - now have 600, 700 and 800 series. The 600 is an awesome reel for under $80.

Now, all they have to do is IMPROVE their website - which sucks. And they need to revamp their logo. The...

Abu-Garcia-Logo.jpg

...logo is getting a bit dated. Time for something new.

Although I don't agree with ANYTHING you posted regarding Shimano reels, I will concede that it appears Garcia has finally rejoined the group of competative reel manufacturers

And that's a good thing. No matter what company it is.

Abu's old spinning reels with the stamina drag (rubber ring around the rotor) sucked. Thankfully that's gone the way of the dodo bird.

Abu has taken aim squarely at Shimano.  Here's the text from their website on the REVO page:

The new low-profile baitcast reels that have started a REVOlution among serious anglers everywhere. These are the reels that are getting all of the "Buzz", and have anglers across the country replacing their beloved Chronarchs and Curados with their new "favorite" fishing reel, the REVO. Why you ask? Anglers will tell you that they are more comfortable in your hand (lower profile), every bit as smooth, have more fish fighting power due to the oversized main drive gear, hold more line (140/12), hold up better in fresh or salt water, are far less expensive, and has a 24 lb. drag system that is 2 to 3 times more powerful than any other reels in their class. Oh, and did I mention that the Revos are far less expensive? Don't take our word for it. Get yourself a Revo and join the REVOlution. You too will claim it as your own "favorite" fishing reel.

I agree. I don't own a single Shimano anymore  :(.  I have 6 TD-Z's, 2 modified Alphas, two Sols (newly aquired), and an airy red pixy.  The Daiwas just feel more precise/tighter/more advanced.  I think the higher-end Daiwas are tackle-junky reels  ;).  I still want to buy two regular Scorpions for cranking reels before they are discontinued though...they cast light baits better than the Sol, and hold more line.  Other than that...I'm all Daiwa.  The Daiwa paint jobs are incredible...I can't believe someone would buy a Curado over an Alphas....

Daiwa's have sex appeal!

IMG_0638.jpg

I don't own a single Shimano anymore

IMG_0638.jpg

You are my man.

I have an Scorpion 1001 where I have invested so much money on that I would never recovery.....so I keep it. Then 2 Cardiff that I thing are the best as Swimbait reel.

The other 18s are Daiwas

RW,

you should get yourself a Revo and do your own "time" test.  I'm betting you'd switch within a week.  Cast a Revo for a day and it's all over bud.  I'm not kidding.  Until this year I was Shimano and Daiwa since about 1972.  I slipped and bought a Garcia Ultra Mag in the 80's and swore I'd never buy another Garcia reel again.  I'm not sure who it actually was here that convinced me to try the Revo but I'm glad they did, very glad indeed.  Does Shimano pay for your house or someth8ing?  Why the "pledge of Allegiance" to Shimano?  

Yup, I still have some Shimano reels,  and some Daiwa....and I always will.  But man, you need to EXPERIENCE the Revo on your own terms.  I got $20 says you'll buy your 2nd one inside of a month.

Its all about personal preference.  For me, i grew up using shimano reels and thats wats most comfortable with me.  When i pick up a different reel brand it just doesn't feel right to me.  I can't see myself fishing for 8-12 hrs. with a reel that i have no confidence in and am not comfortable with using.  So SHIMANO all the WAY!!!