Sign in to follow this  
j-bass

Night Fishing?

I've heard alot of people talking about night fishing for bass.  I have never tried it myself, and I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on what I would use for lures (colors as well) and what to look for.

Thanks.

My best night fishing color is black.  For lures I like black jitterbugs, black spinnerbaits with a big single colorado blade, and lipless crankbaits.  You want to use something that the bass will be able to find easily in the dark, so you'll want lots of thump and vibration.

Hope this helps :)

black is usually the best.sometimes white spinnerbaits also work good on moonlit nights.generall big noisey lures.my favorite is a black buzzbait with a clacker.

Do a search for "night fishing"  lots of stuff here from last summer, quality writings.

Also do a search for "the dark side" to get a slighty more hard core take on the night game.

and welcome

[move]TO THE DARK SIDE[/move]

Also, how would you guys rate night fishing..........better, worse, about the same, or it just depends.

it depends.i caught my biggest fish ever on a full moon night.it was the only fish i caught that night so it was a good night even though it was a one fish night.

it's not me,...it's.........

THE DARK SIDE

fish1166.jpg

turk015.jpg

chelle_summer2005006.jpg

Another forum member, metalhack, who came down from Mass. to fish with me one night.

e3.jpg

rod008.jpg

10-12" Black neon plastic worms.

That is all...

For us there is no special bait for nighttime. Of course the jig/craw is there as a staple as always.  What works during the day will work at night.

Dispelling a myth-Baits do not have to be huge and do not have to be black.

The best way to pick a "hue" is to hold it up at the sky and see how prominent the silloutte is. The more prominent, the better. This can change from night to night depending on cloud cover, moonlight, etc.

(don't get me wrong, both "huge" and "black" can work quite well,lol.)

Guest ouachitabassangler

Due to too many years of sun damage to the skin (wearing a 4" patch on face right now covering a place they cut an 8 cm hole) I've had to fish mostly in low light and night hours. Bass feed more in low light, come up more shallow, and are more aggressive then especially when highly pressured by day. During major tournaments that's the prime time to be fishing for larger bass. I find the fishng best beginning 3 days before and after full moon. In a full moon the bass relate to cover like they do at noon, so I focus on shady places and edges of vegetation then. On dark nights they are more scattered out. I go by sounds a lot, listening for surface feeding, choosing topwaters in that case, especially the magnum Zara Spook worked on "walk the dog" or a large Jitterbug. If quiet I go with noise making subsurface lures like 3/4 oz spinnerbaits and since fishing shallow using large black Colorado blades, single bladed for deeper, tandem or quad bladed for shallower. As for colors I choose opaque and dark in soft plastics, using minimum 10" monster worms. Any color that won't let light through is fine even with only starlight. Red flakes seem best with any moonlight.

There's more danger of being run over by other boats at night here, so my boat is well lit. I have a pair of 55W fog lights on the bow with a remote switch to snap them on when I hear a boat approaching, and they are helpful to navigate in and out of stumpy coves. I'll turn them on when approaching danger areas indicated by GPS, not fully trusting that alone. I always leave the stern light on, and if bugs are really bad I slip a yellow bag over the lamp, then remove it to travel.

Jim

I have had great success on a local lake durring summer nights.  Its different and much fewer anglers are on the lake at this time.  I hang a flourecent light ( for visability) over the side of my boat and throw a large worm to cover on the bank.  I believe a darker worm is best, I typically use a red shad.  I have had several nights when I caught 15 - 20 bass.  Give it a shot

Bait selection had been covered pretty well, so I'll just tell you why I love to fish at night.  

-I have the lake pretty much to myself

-The lack of vision hightens you other senses and tends to make every hook- up more exciting.

-It's one of the few times that you can catch them on topwater for 12 straight hours.....that's reason enough to go right there.

Just give it a try, it's a whole bunch of fun!!!

Guest avid

Well, I hate to bring negativity to this love in   but I don't much like night fishing.  I like the sights around the lake and the targets to cast to.  I only do well after dark with topwaters.  I have tried jigs, plugs, worms, and spinnerbaits, but have caught only one fish at night on anything other than a topwater.  Not that this is bad mind you, but the fishing is slow, and I get bored.

I want to catch a new PB this year, so I will be fishing more at night once it gets hot.  Maybe I'll pick up a few pointers from you night pros.  For example, what size, color jig do you use at night.  Rattles I assume?

I am going to try it this weekend at a lake...

Do you think the water will be warm enough...i was night fishing(catfish) this past weekend and walked in the shallow end to get my hook of a stump and the water was not bad.

And what does it matter if it is black I mean it is night it will be black anyway?

Guest ouachitabassangler

In some respects the eyesight of bass is phenominal compared to humans, and they can use starlight to see anything above them that doesn't pass starlight through it. The darker the bait usually the more opaque it is, more easily seen and targeted. If the bass are feeding at night where you boat to the water temp is right.

Jim

Everything works at the right time. I usually go with brown, red, purple, orange, black, grey or any combination of those colors. Anything with purple in it has done well for me. Senko's and jigs are my go to baits.

Dark colors, standards are black and blue.   we like to fish in the nights during summer months,   Good way to beat the heat.    Black and blue are good rules of the norm, doesn't mean there aren't other choices.

ON recreational lakes, its a good way to beat the summer time wake boarders and the rest of the recreational boaters.

I rarely have an opportunity to fish at night (nighttime's for drinkin'). However, I fish Bull Shoals several times a year and have a friend (my guide during the day) that likes to fish at night on his own time. We fish jerkbaits almost exclusively for smallmouth and walley, but last fall he took me to the White River to fish for giant brown trout!  Smallmouth and walley are found on the same structure in this lake, so there is no telling what you really might catch. We target primary points in 10 to twenty- five feet of water, surrounded by much deeper water. Sometimes we fish bluffs for suspending fish in 200-350' of water.

The jerkbait is an ideal nighttime lure. They are big, or at least can be, loud and move a lot of water.  All fish are less inhibited at night and can be VERY aggressive in attaching prey. There is nothing subtle about this presentation, we are after big fish on a feeding bite. The strikes are often vicious and the fight fierce. It's by far my favorite fishing!

We night fish a lot in Tx.  We went out yesterday and the temp was mild so we stayed out until about midnight... as usual, the fishing was great after dark... better and better as the moon got high.  Largies and smallies, until we got tired and went home.  Most nights, anything resembling black and blue is a sure bet and any lizard, worm or brush hog type as well.  Add to that any Zoom sapphire or electric.  Besides soft plastics, topwaters usually produce.  Cranks and spinnerbaits will work but I don't enjoy them as much so don't use them much.  Typically dark colors work well and sometimes when the moon is bright, any of the favorite daytime colors work well... on a full moon I like white... it's been good to me for many years.

I'll be trying some swimbaits and wakebaits this year...

Guest avid

Ok guys, help me out here.  I want to try night fishing using worms and jigs.  So far it seems pretty clear, that dark colors and large sizes usually produce well.

Now, do you use the same techniques as during the day?  for example, will you pitch a jig to the cover and the bass usually hit on the fall?  Are they usually in the same spots as during the day?

With a worm, do you fish it slowly on the bottom with a T-rig?

You get the idea.  I'm asking about technique and locations.

Striving for a new PB.

avid

Avid- My 2 main go to's are jigs and senkos, fished just like you do during the day.

We never really fish "cover" at night as opposed to RW's writings on the deper open water tactics he uses during the day.  We will fish up into the shallows and flats looking for that roaming eater but mostly fishing the routes in deeper water that the fish use constantly including when moving to feed at night.

Again,..there were some really extensive threads on this last summer/fall.  Search option can really pay off for this one if you be patient and really hone the criteria.

Oh yea, topwater tends to be way on or shut right off.  Doesn't mean they aren't willing a little deeper.

Avid,

The main lake I fish at night is scattered with docks and grass.  During the day I believe most of the bigger bass bury themselves into the grass, go waaaaaaaaay under the docks (most the docks you can't get a bait under because the bottom extends below the water line), or out to deeper off shore structure that I have yet to find (I have only been fishing this lake since early summer last year).  At night they seem to venture to the edges of the docks and grass line.  So instead of actually putting your bait into the grass or try to get it under a dock, you can catch them cruising on the outside edges.

yeah, like the cruisers in the shallows I spoke of, the roam up along the fronts of the reed that surrounds our lake.  Sometimes with the lights, you'll see a hog just cruising by the very fron of the reeds.  Usually with a drop, point or nice transition nearby.