Some thoughts on Bass Fishing

I was told that a deer lives within 1 square mile of where they were born, as long as the habitat is plentiful. The state does what it can to enrich that habitat. Recently l read of silt removal from a local creek that didn’t do a great job and found industrial lubricants and arsenic. Does the habitat get effected from this runoff ?

Are there any studies showing what bass do from where they hatch ? I know they spawn from down river to the area they they are fished. Once spawned do the females die die typically ?

• Like 1

• Super User
On 5/31/2023 at 7:56 PM, biggin said:

Are there any studies showing what bass do from where they hatch ?

YouTube Ken Smith series with Todd Driscoll 

• 1 month later...
  • Super User
On 6/27/2021 at 7:23 AM, Catt said:

Gary Klein & Rick Clunn on numerous videos stated anglers put to much emphasis on rods, reels, lines, & lures and not enough on the angler.

Gosh, I'm glad to read ^this." I don't know why, but I can't keep track of which rod and which line I should use with which lure, even though I watch YouTube video after YouTube where it's all explained and reexplained. Heck, I can't even keep track of the lures. You guys will catch a bass and you remember the brand, color (double watermelon and blueberry with tomato and gold flecks), and name of the lure. Your memories are amazing. I'll catch a bass and remember that the lure was black. Maybe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2007 at 3:32 PM, -badhabit- said:

would rather catch 1 double digit fish than 20 - 5 lb'ers.

Dang. 20 5 lb'ers? Up north if we catch one or two a year we're doing the jig! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super User
On 6/27/2021 at 7:23 AM, Catt said:

Of course you would ?

I still stand by what I wrote & YouTube videos by many of the Pros have solidified it.

I think it was Jordan Lee who stated on Bass Fishing University what amazed him the most about Pro level fisherman was that they all had 3-4 techniques (topwater, mid-depth, & bottom) that they're really good at & that they "try" to find water that match their strengths.

KVD on his show College of Bass started that he only recently learned how aggressive bass really are in cold water. Totally opposite to traditional beliefs.

Gary Klein & Rick Clunn on numerous videos stated anglers put to much emphasis on rods, reels, lines, & lures and not enough on the angler.

Anglers often respond to failure and frustration by over-complicating theory and technique. As much as it helps our egos to regard a difficult task as complex, this type of thinking is often the biggest obstacle between you and your fishing success.

K.I.S.S. ?

I've three or four primary lures that I use spring, summer, and fall. I have literally hundreds of lures that I don't use. I tried them and didn't catch bass. My main lures are plopper/popper, Rage Swimmer paddletail, and Zoom Trick worms, so that's topwater, mid-depth, and bottom. Sometimes I have good luck with crankbaits too. I catch bass on topwaters when the water is cold in early spring and again in the fall. I was catching bass on topwater in Maine last March and November. I think of topwaters as an aggressive bass bait and I'm catching aggressive bass in cold water too. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, ol'crickety said:

I have literally hundreds of lures that I don't use.

I like collecting lures, but 95% have never been wet.

Audrey Whitby Reaction GIF by AwesomenessTV

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Super User
15 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

I like collecting lures, but 95% have never been wet.

You too, eh.  I've got a few dozen spinners...but maybe 1/2 dozen have seen water...a few buzzbaits, all are still dry...couple dozen jigs but only really use 2-3...etc-etc-etc.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2023 at 9:03 AM, MacJig said:

Dang. 20 5 lb'ers? Up north if we catch one or two a year we're doing the jig! 

I havent caught a 5# smallie out of my river in the last five years. Out of maybe 1.5k smallies.

But d**n a 4# smallie in current on a spinning setup is a huge rush.

• Like 1

• Super User
On 10/3/2023 at 8:18 PM, PaulVE64 said:

I havent caught a 5# smallie out of my river in the last five years. Out of maybe 1.5k smallies.

But d**n a 4# smallie in current on a spinning setup is a huge rush.

Heck, yeah, it is. Current multiplies their strength two ways, for the current pulls and bass who live in current are stronger. The strength of a river smallie or a striped bass who lives in the tides is stunning.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/25/2007 at 2:30 PM, Catt said:

So I simply go fishing any time I can, using the techniques I have confidence in, & I let the chips fall where they may.

Exactly! I've learned that the bass don't read the same books, webpages, and threads that I do. Countless times when I thought the conditions were going to result in a slammin' day only proved to a day of a thousand casts and very few fish. I no longer give any weight to my former bass metric. I recognize that it's there and I'm hopeful but that's as far as it goes. I'll fish when I can and relish the experience.

• Like 2