Baitmaker

My creations

5 hours ago, Baitmaker said:

It has a nice random hunting action at higher speeds. 

Nice action.  How do you design that into the lures you create?  Is it related to the lure's center of gravity?

On 12/4/2018 at 7:56 PM, BASS302 said:

Nice action.  How do you design that into the lures you create?  Is it related to the lure's center of gravity?

Sorry, I missed your question quite a while back. The action of any given bait has to do with many different factors. Shape, size, material used, weight, lip angle, lip size, and line tie position all play into it. These larger ones are an oversized version of a much smaller profile that I've built and messed around with in the past. It takes time to experiment with different amounts and/or placement of ballast weight and lip angles etc. to achieve the desired action. 

Here are some 8" cedar baits that I've made recently. These weigh approx. 4 1/2 oz. Thru wire with aluminum lips.

8 inch baits2.jpg

black perch2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't stop going through this thread to see every bait you have posted. Amazing art work.

First time air brushing.  So just getting the hang of it.  Been fun hitting around with them.  Here are a few I just got clear coated. 

12675-432x768.jpeg

12681-768x432.jpeg

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:02 AM, Baitmaker said:

Sorry, I missed your question quite a while back. The action of any given bait has to do with many different factors. Shape, size, material used, weight, lip angle, lip size, and line tie position all play into it. These larger ones are an oversized version of a much smaller profile that I've built and messed around with in the past. It takes time to experiment with different amounts and/or placement of ballast weight and lip angles etc. to achieve the desired action. 

Here are some 8" cedar baits that I've made recently. These weigh approx. 4 1/2 oz. Thru wire with aluminum lips.

8 inch baits2.jpg

black perch2.jpg

That bottom pattern is nice! If you do repaints for folks, let me know.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:07 AM, FordsnFishin said:

First time air brushing.  So just getting the hang of it.  Been fun hitting around with them.  Here are a few I just got clear coated. 

Awesome! Looks like you have a knack for it. They turned out great!

On 1/30/2019 at 7:55 PM, Derek1 said:

Sweet job again man, your paint is amazing

Thanks a lot Derek! 

On 3/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, Rip_lipz said:

I couldn't stop going through this thread to see every bait you have posted. Amazing art work.

Thank you Rip_lipz! Much appreciated. 

On 3/17/2019 at 10:56 AM, Harold Scoggins said:

That bottom pattern is nice! If you do repaints for folks, let me know.

Repaint work is something I don't do much of anymore. To do them right takes more time than it's worth in most cases. 

Great job again man, I know it takes a long time to make them do you have any time left over to fish them. 

3 hours ago, Derek1 said:

Great job again man, I know it takes a long time to make them do you have any time left over to fish them. 

Ha! I do spend a lot of time on my baits but still get out and use them here and there. 

Group of baits I just finished.  Most will be going to high school kids during a high school tournament our club puts on.  Some im eager to fish and see how they hold up.  Happy with how they turned out for my first time. Definitely alot to learn yet,  but learned a ton just doing these.

Would love to watch and learn how you do yours baitmaker. Yours look great! 

Snapchat-1885837483-432x768.jpg

You've got some very nice looking baits.

On 3/18/2019 at 4:46 PM, Baitmaker said:

Some new squarebills and a picture that shows where I place the lead belly weight in these. 

weighting2.jpg

sq bills.jpg

foiled sb.jpg

That’s my batch of squarebills and I must say they are amazing!!   Took them up to lake cobbosseecontee in Maine and they caught big pike and multiple lgmouth over 3lbs and smallies up to 4lbs.   They were my top producers.  Even out produced my megabass jerkbait.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Deeare said:

That’s my batch of squarebills and I must say they are amazing!!   Took them up to lake cobbosseecontee in Maine and they caught big pike and multiple lgmouth over 3lbs and smallies up to 4lbs.   They were my top producers.  Even out produced my megabass jerkbait.  

That's awesome Dan! Glad to hear they are working well for you up there. I'd love to see some pics. 

Here is a 23" LM caught recently here in Ohio by a customer on the red craw squarebill. It's very cool and rewarding to see what people are catching on my baits. 

bass on cranks19.jpg

14 minutes ago, Deeare said:

AB88073B-8754-4D79-8D45-CA014680E5D6.jpeg

Nice smallie Dan! Thanks!!!