The title says it all! What is the lightest test braid you throw on a baitcaster? I've got a new reel and I'm spooling it up for chatterbaits and swimjigs. I have some 10# Invizx FC on a reel and I feel like it's too thin, not sure if I'm gonna have the same problem with braid due to its suppleness. But I figure I'll ask some of y'all before I pull the trigger. 

PS: The reel is a Lew's TMB. 

Depending on the size of the reel I have gone as low as 20.  The 20 was on an alphas on a medium rod.  On a standard size I don't like less than 40.  Just my preference.

• Like 1

I’d say the lightest most folks would probably go is 20# braid. It has the mono equivalent diameter of about 6# test. That is pretty thin so if you think 10# Fluoro  was on the thin side, 20# braid might be as thin or thinner. Check the mono equivalent diameter of 10# fluoro for a comparison. 

I've put 15# braid on one of my tatula sv reels for skipping 1/4 ounce jigs and shakey heads. Didn't particularly care for it so I swapped it for 10# fluoro. 30 is my minimum now for braid on baitcasters and my maximum for spinning reels

• Like 1

I have a couple (core50 & 50E) with 10# .006" super8slick for ned rigs 1/8 spinnerbaits senkos 1/4 jigs small rattle traps.  A few reels with 15-20 for most other uses. I did jump to some 60# .012" for small 6" swimbaits.

#30 ~ 8lb equivalent

:fishing-026:

The lightest braid I like to throw on a baitcaster is 0.25mm (30lb)

To compare, I use floro/copoly hybrid line that is 0.30mm (12lb) on most of my other baitcasters.

You can get away with 20, but I rarely go below 30.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, reason said:

You can get away with 20, but I rarely go below 30.

Came to post this.

I had 10lb on my pixy at one time, but it was an ultralight setup. I don't like braid at all, so I went with 6lb fluoro instead. Lightest I've used on a typical baitcaster is 20lb. 

Depends on the reel/spool.  Super shallow spools meant for UL baits can handle down to #10 braid and below.  The shallow depth of the spool prevents dig in with small diameter braid.  On a regular depth spool #30 8 carrier is fine.  With the less round 4 carriers I prefer #50 to prevent dig in.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BaitFinesse said:

Depends on the reel/spool.  Super shallow spools meant for UL baits can handle down to #10 braid and below.  The shallow depth of the spool prevents dig in with small diameter braid.  On a regular depth spool #30 8 carrier is fine.  With the less round 4 carriers I prefer #50 to prevent dig in.

Agreed.  I don’t go below 30 (equivalent diameter to 8 lb mono/fluoro) with the exception of the shallow spool of an SV then I routinely use 20 lb and it works well. Although any time you land a big fish, or for sure if you really get snagged, be extra careful the line isn’t buried.  If necessary pull a bunch of line out like you have a backlash and reel back on before you cast again.

Cool, sounds like I'll be going with #30 then. Thanks guys. 

I use 20# regular Power Pro on my Chronarch 50e.

Caught my PB on an old Accurist that I happened to

have spooled with 10# Fireline and a 10# leader....

Out of the 5 or 6 BC's I usually have it the boat, 1 has 20# and the rest have 10#.

30 lb, but I do not care for that light of braided line on a baitcaster. I prefer 50 and 65.

I use 20lb braid on a couple baitcasters I use for topwaters like 90 ploppers, poppers, and WTD baits. 

15lb is the lightest I have used.

I currently have 15lb Pline TCB 8 .008" on two of my baitcasters 

YMMV....but this is just my "system"

Spinning gear: 10lb braid across the board.

Casting gear: 20lb on M power rods, 30lb on MH rods, 50lb on H rods, or MH rods that get used around heavy cover.

Been doing it this way for 10+ years with no issues. Using multiple brands of braid. Mostly original Power Pro, but also a lot of Spider Wire Stealth, and lately some Sufix Performance braid. IMHO, those three braids are all about the same, and I just buy what ever is handy and cheaper at the time.

My Chronarch 50 MGs I use 15 and 20 lb braid.  They are exceptions, all others are 30lbs and up.

I normally use 30lb power pro but sometime I would go as small as 20lb daiwa J-braid.

I can't think of any reason why I'd go below 30# braid on a baitcaster...if for no other reason that it'd cost me a fortune to spool up a reel...