Jump to content
A-Jay

Re-powering the Lund 1875 Pro-V Bass Boat

Recommended Posts

With Mercury Marine's latest and most recent introduction of the Pro XS line, I have started the leg work & process to Re-powering my Lund 1875 Pro -V Bass.  Still in the earliest stages but still pretty exciting & appears very promising.

When I was initially rigging out this boat, I wanted an XS.  However the required 25 inch shaft was not offered in the Pro XS line at 200 HP.

With this latest line, it is.   The plan is to trade in the current 2016 200 HP Optimax and the non-digital controls / gauges towards the New Pro XS and the required new digital controls / gauges.  

 

Spec for the 200 HP look like this: Looks like I'm ditching the Two Stroke . . . 

SPECIFICATIONS - 200

HP / kW
  • 200 / 149
Engine type
  • V-8
Displacement (CID/CC)
  • 279 CID
Displacement (L)
  • 4.6L
Cylinder Configuration
  • V8 [64 degree] with Dual Overhead Cam [DOHC] and 32-valves
Full throttle RPM
  • 5600-6200
Air induction
  • Performance-Tuned Long-Runner Intake Manifold
Fuel induction system
  • Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) Computer Controlled with Advanced Range Optimization
Alternator amp / Watt
  • 85-amp (1071 Watt) with Idle Charge
Recommended fuel
  • Unleaded Regular 87 Octane Minimum (R+M/2) or 90 RON 10% Ethanol Maximum
Recommended oil
  • NMMA Certified FCW SAE 10W-30
Engine protection operator warning system
  • SmartCraft Engine Guardian
Compatible with SmartCraft digital technology
  • Yes
Starting
  • Electric Start with SmartStart Protection
Controls
  • Remote Mechanical or Digital Throttle & Shift (DTS)
Steering
  • Hydraulic (standard)
  • Power (optional)
Shaft length
  • 20" / 508 mm
  • 25" / 635 mm
Gearcase ratio
  • 1.75:1 (TorqueMaster or 5.44"); 1.85:1 (4.8")
Dry weight *Lightest model available
  • 505 lbs / 229 kgs
CARB star rating
  • 3
Bore and stroke
  • 3.6 x 3.4" / 92 x 86 mm
Ignition
  • SmartCraft PCM 112 Digital Inductive
Cooling system
  • Water-cooled with thermostat
Gear shift
  • F-N-R
Gearcase options
  • 20": TorqueMaster
  • 25": 5.44"
Trim system
  • Power trim and tilt
Exhaust system
  • Through prop
Color
  • Phantom Black
Lubrication system
  • Wet sump
Oil Capacity
  • 7.0 Quarts / 6.6 Liters
Maximum Trim Range
  • 20° (-6° to 14°)
Maximum Tilt Range
  • 73° (-6° to 67°)

 

 

Time line looks like Mid-August perhaps but it's a little early to know for sure. 

There may also be some 'prop testing' required as this newest motor has not yet been mounted on a Pro-V Bass. 

So dialing in the right screw size & pitch for optimum performance might take some time to get just right.  

More to follow.

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/pro-xs/

 

473027379_V-8ProXS.thumb.png.43e5489d53fd7bca13cad00097e8b843.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A-Jay, that almost looks darn right evil. In my mind I've already started calling it " DARTH MOTOR ".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So forgive my ignorance here as i am a fisherman of the paddling variety but do you just trade in your old motor like you would a car and pay the difference or whatever?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go big or go home 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice choice AJ. The 200hp motors have been a bit of a tough choice until now, especially on Brunswick boats where the choices are limited. The new V8s look very interesting. How does the weight compare to your Opti? The V6 200 is another interesting new choice. Famine to feast!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flyfisher said:

So forgive my ignorance here as i am a fisherman of the paddling variety but do you just trade in your old motor like you would a car and pay the difference or whatever?  

Yes. 

A-Jay

33 minutes ago, Tim Kelly said:

Nice choice AJ. The 200hp motors have been a bit of a tough choice until now, especially on Brunswick boats where the choices are limited. The new V8s look very interesting. How does the weight compare to your Opti? The V6 200 is another interesting new choice. Famine to feast!

Thanks

Specs indicate the 2 motors are very close or perhaps even the same at 505 lbs. 

That is at Least 100 lbs lighter than the same size Verado and the primary reason why I didn't go that way in the first place. 

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool project.

 

I'm not sure that I'd bother to upgrade a motor that is as new as yours is, but I can see why you're doing it.  I'd like the the switch from 2 stroke to 4 stroke.

 

If you had to summarize your prime motivations, what might they be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no substitute for cubic inches. :headbang:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, slonezp said:

There is no substitute for cubic inches. :headbang:

Sure there is: Cubic dollars. 😉

 

I believe that's the way Mr. Shelby said it...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now we know who has the big money on the forum. If had a boat big enough to do that I would never get out of debt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Further North said:

Cool project.

 

I'm not sure that I'd bother to upgrade a motor that is as new as yours is, but I can see why you're doing it.  I'd like the the switch from 2 stroke to 4 stroke.

 

If you had to summarize your prime motivations, what might they be?

I'm not looking at it as a bother; more of an adventure & learning experience. 

There's a few motivating factors.  While I may not categorize any singular deal as primary, collectively they're sufficient to stimulate change.   

A V-8 4-stroke XS, that weighs the same as a 2-stroke seems long over due.

The advertised all around performance improvements as well as the redesigned size & shape of the unit is appealing to me.

I want to & I can.

:smiley:

A-Jay  

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first time ever, Merc is on my radar with these V8 offerings.  I'm seriously considering the new 250 Verado when I upgrade boats in a few years.  Actually i'm hoping they reconfigure the 2075 Tyee to take a 300 just like the 2075 Pro-V.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Log Catcher said:

Now we know who has the big money on the forum. If had a boat big enough to do that I would never get out of debt.

As a retired Enlisted man, I'm certainly grateful for my situation.

I earned it. 

Big Money may be a relative term.

Living frugally and prioritizing larger purchases helps.

:smiley:

A-Jay 

 

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local club guy just got a brand new lund pro v 2075 /w the new 250 merc 4 stroke on the back. It's amazing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, A-Jay said:

I'm not looking at it as a bother; more of an adventure & learning experience. 

An unfortunate choice of words on my part - of course you would, I would also. 😊

 

6 hours ago, A-Jay said:

There's a few motivating factors.  While I may not categorize any singular deal as primary, collectively they're sufficient to stimulate change.   

A V-8 4-stroke XS, that weighs the same as a 2-stroke seems long over due.

The advertised all around performance improvements as well as the redesigned size & shape of the unit is appealing to me.

Good stuff all of it; and well considered.  I'd skimmed the specs before and hadn't realized it was a small displacement, light weight V-8.  That baby's gonna purr...except when it doesn't...😁

 

6 hours ago, A-Jay said:

I want to & I can.

I, of course, like this one best of all!

 

I may, or may not have used, "Because I can!" as a reason for doing some things now and then...it feels pretty good!

6 hours ago, A-Jay said:

As a retired Enlisted man, I'm certainly grateful for my situation.

I earned it. 

Big Money may be a relative term.

Living frugally and prioritizing larger purchases helps.

:smiley:

A-Jay 

 

 

It's amazing what the long term result of making good choices is. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, A-Jay said:

As a retired Enlisted man, I'm certainly grateful for my situation.

I earned it. 

Big Money may be a relative term.

Living frugally and prioritizing larger purchases helps.

:smiley:

A-Jay 

 

 

Thank you for your service and I hope every thing works out okay with this. If what I said offended you I apologize as that was not my intent. I was just trying to be funny about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cory Doras said:

Suzuki, best motors I've ever owned. And I have had a lot of boats and all brands. Even submerged on in salt water. 

I second that. I’ve owned Yamaha’s, Mercury ( same exact motor that’s on A-Jays boat right now, and now a Suzuki on my newest boat. They’re all good, but the Zuk is the finest running, easiest on fuel engine I’ve ever owned. I’m sure the new Merc will be a great option as well, I can’t see myself ever owning another 2-stroke again. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Log Catcher said:

Thank you for your service and I hope every thing works out okay with this. If what I said offended you I apologize as that was not my intent. I was just trying to be funny about it.

It's all good.

 I was simply passing on my perspective.

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very interested in seeing how this process works out for you. As I am going to do (on a smaller scale) the same thing.

 

I was just going to buy a whole new rig, but life happened and I needed a new (to me) truck. But I still have the means to re-power the boat. And it's a worthy cause. My boat is a 2007, still in great shape, it's just the 25hp on her is getting tired from 11 years of use. I wanna go with a 40hp 4 stroke, boat is rated for a 50, but the cowling on the 50 is too tall to fit under some "secret" spots I go. Problem is, every dealer around here is giving me the run around and wants to push a new boat on me. It doesn't seem to matter to them that I have cash in hand and want to buy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ww2farmer said:

I am very interested in seeing how this process works out for you. As I am going to do (on a smaller scale) the same thing.

 

I was just going to buy a whole new rig, but life happened and I needed a new (to me) truck. But I still have the means to re-power the boat. And it's a worthy cause. My boat is a 2007, still in great shape, it's just the 25hp on her is getting tired from 11 years of use. I wanna go with a 40hp 4 stroke, boat is rated for a 50, but the cowling on the 50 is too tall to fit under some "secret" spots I go. Problem is, every dealer around here is giving me the run around and wants to push a new boat on me. It doesn't seem to matter to them that I have cash in hand and want to buy.

That is a little strange ~

And those spots must be pretty tight when a few inches makes all the difference.  

Perhaps try 'flooding' your bilge to drop your rig a bit and then pump her out once you get through.

Or just wait for low tide . . .

:smiley:

A-Jay 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just returned from my Mercury Marine Dealer ~ 

All kinds of Good News.

First off, I had received incorrect information initially regarding the need to convert my rig to 'all digital gauges, controls & steering' to facilitate the new motor.   Not the case. 

The newest Pro XS is available in multiple configurations to accommodate most any fitment - Meaning it will be Plug & Play more or less. (besides I prefer the standard manual throttle I have)  Makes the re-power less work & Less $$. 

Fan of that. 

Paperwork getting written up over the weekend and I'll return on Monday to sign the final draft.

At which point I'll "be on the list".  Current time frame for delivery looks like mid July right now.

Looking forward to it - besides being a welcome distraction.

A-Jay

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool.  Please keep up the updates.

 

I hope the "welcome distraction" isn't from bad stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:24 PM, Further North said:

I'm not sure that I'd bother to upgrade a motor that is as new as yours is, but I can see why you're doing it.  I'd like the the switch from 2 stroke to 4 stroke.

 

That is exactly what I thought.  I wouldn't bother to upgrade something as new as that Opti but its a personal choice and like he's stated, he can and he wants to.

 

I have a question.  Maybe you posted it in the original specs.  What kind of speed did you get with the Opti and what kind of speed to you expect to get with the XS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, gimruis said:

 

That is exactly what I thought.  I wouldn't bother to upgrade something as new as that Opti but its a personal choice and like he's stated, he can and he wants to.

 

I have a question.  Maybe you posted it in the original specs.  What kind of speed did you get with the Opti and what kind of speed to you expect to get with the XS?

The current Two Stroke has just over a hundred hours on it - A full year left on the all inclusive factory warranty and looks brand new.  While still having an almost a cult following, the big two strokes Mercs are No Longer made.

Additionally, the funds expended on this new motor will be about the same as what I'd need to spend on an 'extended warranty' for a three year old motor.  Instead, I get a brand new unit.

Finally, although I'm still waiting to hear back, but I think these new motors come with a 6 years factory warranty.       

Either way, all that seems to make it a pretty good time to re-power.

 

As for speed, I'm running @58 mph WOT, but I don't really race anyone.

No clue what the new motor will do, perhaps at least what I'm getting now, but I'm expecting it to be quite a bit more fuel efficient.

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×