Jump to content
ratherbfishin1

How to clean costas?

Recommended Posts

So I got costas for Christmas and just want to know how you clean them.  I heard your not supposed to clean them with water or your shirt. It came with a cloth but should I use a spray with it? If so does brand really matter because some get pretty pricy, thanks! 

 

Merry christmas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been wearing them for years.  I clean them and all other glasses and screens with a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol along with a microfiber cloth.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To prevent shades from getting too dirty to begin with, I have found that avoiding hanging them below your chin on croakies is key. Then again if you are wearing costas you certainly want to use croakies or something like them to keep from losing the glasses. But I do recall when I used croakies all the food I ate and dead skin would end up on the lenses hahaha. They stay much cleaner if I keep them on top of my hat when they aren’t on my eyes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Microfiber cloth here too. I’ve used Oakley bags as well but when they’ve got any sort of saltwater on I stick with just the cloth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

. They stay much cleaner if I keep them on top of my hat when they aren’t on my eyes 

Just don't forget they're up there when that deerfly is buzzing you and you go to swat at him with your hat. I heard of some guy that lost a month old pair of 580G Fisch Costas in Grand Lake, OK doing that... Those glass lenses sink fast.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Just don't forget they're up there when that deerfly is buzzing you and you go to swat at him with your hat. I heard of some guy that lost a month old pair of 580G Fisch Costas in Grand Lake, OK doing that... Those glass lenses sink fast.

Hahaha funny you would say that. my buddy lost a nice pair of eyeglass right off his eyes swatting at a horsefly in a canoe. He jumped in after them to no avail 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bigjean663 said:

Microfiber cloth here too. I’ve used Oakley bags as well but when they’ve got any sort of saltwater on I stick with just the cloth. 

I'd be careful about wiping them dry with any type of cloth.  When the water dries, you'll be left with tiny salt crystals on the lenses.   Keep a bottle of distilled water on board.  Flush the salt water from them, then wipe with a microfiber cloth.

 

When I have a film on the lens, I breathe on them, then wipe with a micro fiber or a clean, soft, cotton cloth.

 

What works the best for me are my skivvies.  They are 100% cotton, and there is a plentiful supply in my dresser.

 

Most of the time, using them dry works fine.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fishing Rhino said:

I'd be careful about wiping them dry with any type of cloth.  When the water dries, you'll be left with tiny salt crystals on the lenses.   Keep a bottle of distilled water on board.  Flush the salt water from them, then wipe with a microfiber cloth.

 

When I have a film on the lens, I breathe on them, then wipe with a micro fiber or a clean, soft, cotton cloth.

 

What works the best for me are my skivvies.  They are 100% cotton, and there is a plentiful supply in my dresser.

 

Most of the time, using them dry works fine.

 

 

Crap yeah I didn’t mean I use a dry cloth. I’ll breathe on them at the very least to get some moisture built up. Then use the cloth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I clean mine with the cloth and spray solution I get at my eye doctor. Cost $3.00 a bottle. Does a great job on my fish finder screens also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×