Jump to content
Dwbassin

Drop shotting, does it catch big bass or numbers?

Recommended Posts

I always talk/hear people saying drop shotting should be done in the winter. Last year was when I really got obsessed with drop shotting and I always went to it for confidence. It caught me sooooo many fish when nothing else (even Ned rigs) did. However, I never caught a fish over 4 pounds drop shotting. I usually use smaller profile baits less than 3 inches. Should be said I never bed fished with a drop shot either and usually don’t dare throw it towards any cover at all. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what could be going on with that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t live or fish a bass Mecca out here in Penna., but I drop-shot fish quite a bit. I’m catching smaller fish for the most part. I’ve been fortunate to catch some nice ones but where I’m catching small ones on days a lot of guys are not catching anything. 

 

My nicer fish always come to me in the fall. Soft plastics, cranking or spinnerbaits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did catch my largest fish of the year two years ago in the summer on a drop shotted junebug trick worm. Unfortunately it was a tiger muskie instead of a bass.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Spankey said:

I don’t live or fish a bass Mecca out here in Penna., but I drop-shot fish quite a bit. I’m catching smaller fish for the most part. I’ve been fortunate to catch some nice ones but where I’m catching small ones on days a lot of guys are not catching anything. 

 

My nicer fish always come to me in the fall. Soft plastics, cranking or spinnerbaits. 

You’re referring to PA right? I fished raystown last year and my girl tied a drop shot on and lost her pb cause she was using junk line. It’s good and no question my favorite but a lot of dinks, now cranking I’m just diving into. Lipless being my new favorite switching out hooks on warpigs and red eyes now lol

31 minutes ago, BassinCNY said:

I did catch my largest fish of the year two years ago in the summer on a drop shotted junebug trick worm. Unfortunately it was a tiger muskie instead of a bass.

Man I would have killed for that “accident” , were you fishing a medium light rod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realized after my post you said drop shot not Ned rig. I do catch alot of numbers on a drop shot.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fishing some bridge pilings in the summer with a friend of mine and he had a 41/2 inch roboworm tied on. This was a fairly pressured spot and the water was dirty, you could only see 1-2 feet. He caught a 5 pounder. You just never really know what can happen with a drop shot. I've even read about Bassmaster and MLF pros who have won tournaments from fishing drop shots. Generally drop shots are good for numbers but they can be amazing for those bigger bass too.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a drop shot rig about 30% of the time. Usually  a 4 or 6 inch bait. I've caught muskie 32" and over on 10 lb test. I have also caught slot of bass 3 lbs and over on a drop shot. It's not a rig that only catches small bass. Don't be afraid to throw it near cover. If I feel it getting hung up on cover, just be gentle. Lift the rod slowly till you feel the bait hit the cover and SLOWLY  jiggle the rod till the bait comes free. When putting the bait on, I start about an inch back and run the hook through the middle of the bait, till I can barely see the hook penetrate the front. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Fishin' Fool said:

I realize after my post you said drop shot not Ned rig

 

 

Well it kind of applies but I think you have a better shot with a Ned and they make offset Ned’s now which just makes me love it more. I got a 5 pounder of a bed with a nedrig last year so maybe I just got lucky idk I think it’s just right placement. 

2 minutes ago, JKFishing said:

I was fishing some bridge pilings in the summer with a friend of mine and he had a 41/2 inch roboworm tied on. This was a fairly pressured spot and the water was dirty, you could only see 1-2 feet. He caught a 5 pounder. You just never really know what can happen with a drop shot. I've even read about Bassmaster and MLF pros who have won tournaments from fishing drop shots. Generally drop shots are good for numbers but they can be amazing for those bigger bass too.

I fished a lake in md that is insanely pressured, strictly roboworms from 4 1/2 to 6 and would consistently catch in front of 3-10 boats or bankers catching nothing. Or hazedong shads(new favorite) . Your right now you say it Gary Klein was filming I think or doing research this year and caught a 13 on a drop shot glad you brought that up. But was it small or large profile (if it matters)

2 minutes ago, Mjmj said:

I use a drop shot rig about 30% of the time. Usually  a 4 or 6 inch bait. I've caught muskie 32" and over on 10 lb test. I have also caught slot of bass 3 lbs and over on a drop shot. It's not a rig that only catches small bass. Don't be afraid to throw it near cover. If I feel it getting hung up on cover, just be gentle. Lift the rod slowly till you feel the bait hit the cover and SLOWLY  jiggle the rod till the bait comes free. When putting the bait on, I start about an inch back and run the hook through the middle of the bait, till I can barely see the hook penetrate the front. 

This is why I LOVE this place. I always just run the hook straight through the nose half inch or so in and it’s exposed and I never even though about it. Over the winter I tend to read countless articles , seen some people even use offset worm hooks for drop shotting. And good point also on barely lifting to pull it out I learned not to yank cause I saw the weight just whip around a limb 4 or 5x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience, a dropshot will catch numbers as well as big fish. I believe this this one was over 8lbs on a Roboworm...

 

My dropshot rig was a 7’3” MH baitcasting rod, with the reel spooled with 20lb braid, a 3/0 worm hook, and a 3/8oz weight... of course a spinning rod works too. Good fishing all and thanks @Dwbassin for bringing this topic up.

B689AF78-D98D-4BA4-A7C6-69C64708D89F.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, J._Bricker said:

In my experience, a dropshot will catch numbers as well as big fish. I believe this this one was over 8lbs on a Roboworm...

B689AF78-D98D-4BA4-A7C6-69C64708D89F.jpeg

True, that would sell me instantly if I was new to it. Seeing a lot of roboworms being responsible haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dwbassin said:

You’re referring to PA right? I fished raystown last year and my girl tied a drop shot on and lost her pb cause she was using junk line. It’s good and no question my favorite but a lot of dinks, now cranking I’m just diving into. Lipless being my new favorite switching out hooks on warpigs and red eyes now lol

Man I would have killed for that “accident” , were you fishing a medium light rod?

I don't remember the rod, medium heavy I think. I had it rigged weedless on a worm hook and was pitching in to cover targeting largemouth. I pitched it in to some weeds where a small break wall met a dock in about 3 feet of water. As tiger muskies go it wasn't that big, 34".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Neither 😄

An optimist! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, J._Bricker said:

An optimist! 👍

I'd be interested to see someone who is really good at dropshot fishing to fish some of our lakes to see if it's just the lakes around here or if everyone around here just sucks at dropshot fishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it’s a numbers bait with smallmouth. I can catch them just about any day here.

 

Largemouth for me are less common on it but when I do pick them up they are better fish.

 

It will catch both but if your not fishing around better fish you won’t catch them. Maybe @A-Jay will chime in about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edwin Evers won the last BPT event on Conroe and closed it out with an 8 pounder caught on a drop shot, the only drop shot fish he caught all week.

 

Watch any tournament on the Great Lakes or St. Lawrence river and check out the giant smallies they catch on drop shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, a drop shot has only been in play for the last few years. I can say that it has been a great numbers and big fish tactic. Here in central Ontario, we have about any kind of water you could think of for bass, from super deep, gin clear Canadian Shield lakes, to shallow, fairly dirty stump and weed filled lakes. I’ve used a drop shot with several different kinds of baits in many different waters, and it’s worked well to catch easily over 60 smallmouth in one day with my 9 year old, as well as some absolute pigs. It’s also become one of my go to tactics for pulling big largemouths out from under docks on some of the lakes I fish. Not too many days now where there isn't at least one rod on the deck with a drop shot attached. 

F2F0CFB6-E596-476D-B5B1-76139CFF7F72.jpeg

EB425CC2-1D54-41C4-B3FB-0065879F0D84.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drop shot for me is pretty much an all season deal.

I do it shallow, I do it deep and everything in bewteen.

And while I would not list it as my 'best' big fish technique, each season it does account for several very respectable bass. (almost always smallies for me)

Something I started doing a few sesons ago that helped inprove the quality of fish I caught on the drop shot was instead of using the traditional 4-6 in robo worms, and Dream Shot style baits (mostly long & slender worms) was to use SK Rage Craws, SK Caffiene Shad & Small swimbaits. 

 Clearly 'traditional' drop shot worms are Killer baits - but for me they do seem to attract a slightly smaller version of what I'm grinding to find. 

 Started with the craw, and it was quite a surprise at how well it worked.  Since then have added the shad & the small swimbaits.  All these baits allow me to 'cover' water with a rig that I usually reserve for spot where I have a decent idea have fish.  Being able to keep this bait moving is a great way to cover deep water flats - and the smallies in ths area - choke these things routinely.  I will use both a nse hook deal and also a slightly larger straight shank thin wire hook (out the top), when ther cover is light.  

So there's that.

Here's the hooks and more info

1447393515_dropshothooks2MB.thumb.jpg.05c61a86307f84f80c44c42daf7e4966.jpg

Chris Zaldain covers the drop shot swimbit nicely here too - 

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Numbers bait for me but I sometimes catch a 3-4lb fish.

 

When you say highly pressured lake in Merryland do you mean Black Hills Lake Seneca? If so that is the capitol of DS dink fishing for bass in the summer. My record is 92 with only 4 being over 12" but it does catch them.

 

Allen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The drop shot is a tool in my box of techniques.  I'll complain about it, but it's saved my tail enough times that I would be a fool to give it up.  It works, and catches numbers (and size ***read on for explanation).  I usually pick it up when I just need to get bit.  I guess what I'm saying is I've never been on a good jig bite and set it down to pick up a drop shot.  ***As a result, I catch fewer large fish on that particular technique.

 

It's almost become like a weightless senko for me... Never leave home without it, but I don't advertise that was the only thing I could catch them on that day 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fished a DS in Maryland for most of last spring and summer and caught a good range of bass in most every body of water I tried it in.  I do fish the DS the "wrong" way, I use it more as a t-rig substitute to deal with all the muck-bottomed ponds I fish.  6" Robo, t-rigged, maybe an 8-10" dropper, 3/16oz weight.  I retrieve with with the reel at a slow crawl, only stopping to shake/deadstick it when the weight starts to snag on something or I feel it go up and over something.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I break out a drop rig for finesse presentation to catch bass, not big bass. Can you catch a big bass using a drop shot rig, of course you can.

Several years I was fishing with a friend and we decided to look for spawn beds while a tournament was going on. All the coves had boats in them and stopped to survey the situation in about 10' of water trying to decide where to go and looked down and a big bass was next to a bush. I told Ron a big bass was down next to a bush to give him a chance at it and he told me to try it, he was re rigging. I picked up my drop shot rod because the bass was straight down in front of me and didn't look that big. Dropped my finesse spinning tackle with 7 lb FC and wacky hooked Roboworm in front of the bass and it ate it. The bass weighed 13.2 lbs and lots of tournament guys watch as we fought this bass for several minutes. My only regret was Ron didn't try for this bass, it would been his PB.

Finesse drop shot rig isn't a big bass presentation but it will catch them.

Tom

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Neither 😄

I'm 44 years old. I've been fishing since I can remember. And I have never...not even once...fished a drop shot. How insane is THAT??! 

 

Now, I am more of a 'power' guy as opposed to 'finesse'. Tho I will throw the  ned rig, shaky head etc from time to time. But I've never tried the drop shot. I have no idea why either because all I've ever heard and seen is how well it works.

 

This is something I'm gonna work on this spring.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, NorthernBasser said:

I'm 44 years old. I've been fishing since I can remember. And I have never...not even once...fished a drop shot. How insane is THAT??! 

 

Now, I am more of a 'power' guy as opposed to 'finesse'. Tho I will throw the  ned rig, shaky head etc from time to time. But I've never tried the drop shot. I have no idea why either because all I've ever heard and seen is how well it works.

 

This is something I'm gonna work on this spring.  

1

 Kind of insane I guess, but maybe not really.

On those flatter, calm water days - especially early summer or early fall when the fish can perhaps be in a little bit more of a transitional funk than usual - the drop shot can save the day.

Good Luck

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...