Jump to content
Ksam1234

First Higher end rod help!!

Recommended Posts

So I have been looking all winter for my first true higher end rod. I own a dobyns fury, irod genesis and a g loomis e6x. Lower end stuff I guess. I have been researching as much as I can and would like to know good opinions on a higher end rod.  I have it narrowed down to either ALX Zolo series , Kistler KLX , Shimano expride or the Shimano Zodias, Daiwa tatula elite series. I am going to use it for an all around rod. 7 ft to 7 ft 5 MH/F action.  Mainly for jigs, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and T rigs.. if anyone has good and bad of each. I know a lot comes down to “personal belief” but there has to be one great rod between these.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no real world in which a Fury or E6X is low end; they're just not high end by some standards. I have an "all around" E6X and 5 Fury rods (which are new) and they're great. 

 

I have some regular Tatula rods which I really enjoy. They're not Elite Series so I can't comment on that and this probably therefore isn't any help at all, but anything Tatula has been solid to me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If one is going to drop a few hundred on a rod, why buy an all around anything?  Spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and jigs/txrigs all require different weights and actions.  Pick one technique and get the best for that specific discipline.

And Glacus, you are absolutely spot-on.  Nothing made by the companies mentioned could ever be labeled correctly as lower end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BoatSquirrel said:

If one is going to drop a few hundred on a rod, why buy an all around anything?  Spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and jigs/txrigs all require different weights and actions.  Pick one technique and get the best for that specific discipline.

And Glacus, you are absolutely spot-on.  Nothing made by the companies mentioned could ever be labeled correctly as lower end.

Well a MH/F rod is good for all the techniques I listed. I use 3/8 up to 3/4 oz jigs , t rigs , spinnerbaits etc as I mentioned.  I wouldn’t use a different rod for all those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kistler is running a 21% sale right now. You can't go wrong with a Gary Loomis North Fork blank.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would grab a MH Kistler Helium 3 when they go on sale. I purchased 2 H3 and have been super impressed with both rods (I own 7'M and a 7'1" MH).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently picked up a Tatula Elite AGS 7' M/MH XF (TAEL701MMHXB-AGS)paired with a Zillion SV TW, and it is quickly becoming my favorite all around rod. I've been throwing everything from 1/2oz jigs to 1/16oz TRDs to 3/8oz chatterbaits to senkos (weightless, wacky, T-rigged). It's rated 1/8oz to 1oz, and really does have that range with the SV reel. I have a MB Orochi XX EMTF G1, and GLX 844C MBR, and the sensitivity is very much on par with those two.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple Zodias' and a couple KLXs.  Both are awesome.  The Zodias is obviously way cooler looking.  Mine are MH (6'10 and 7'2).  They're light and crisp.  Of the baits you listed, the only one I wouldn't throw on them would be a 3/4 oz jig.  Not because it couldn't handle it, I just prefer something heavier.  The non-Feel N Reel KLX I have is 7'0 heavy but I find it about on par with the MH Zodias in terms of power.  

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you open to considering other options than those listed? If so, do consider a Megabass Diablo Spec R, 199-299 depending which series you choose. Probably the most versatile rod I've ever owned, perfect for swim jigs, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and jigs/trigs under 1/2oz. Also handles 1/2-1oz topwater, jerkbaits, and squarebills very well.

 

Otherwise, all the options you mentioned are solid choices

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s always St Croix if you want high end. I have the legend tournement and the avid X. If you are looking for an all around rod, there’s a company called G-Rods that make rods out of graphene. I have one and love it, it’s extremely sensitive and worth every penny. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dwight Hottle said:

Kistler is running a 21% sale right now. You can't go wrong with a Gary Loomis North Fork blank.  

I can't agree with this more. I have 2 H3's and a couple of customs on NFC blanks, excellent rods.

 

Also American made if that's important to you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how much of a hurry you're in but the new Shimano Poison Adrenas are looking really nice.  These will be the type of rod that will retain much of it's value should you decide to sell it down the road for whatever reason.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

I don't know how much of a hurry you're in but the new Shimano Poison Adrenas are looking really nice.  These will be the type of rod that will retain much of it's value should you decide to sell it down the road for whatever reason.  

Wow those look amazing ! A little pricey though .. was trying to stick between 200-300$ but wow!! Those things look amazing !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want a great all-around rod the 7'2 MH Expride is a special stick. Good luck finding one in stock though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, punch said:

If you want a great all-around rod the 7'2 MH Expride is a special stick. Good luck finding one in stock though. 

Why are they always out!! Must be good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, punch said:

If you want a great all-around rod the 7'2 MH Expride is a special stick. Good luck finding one in stock though. 

Tactical Bassin guys need to be getting a cut of that profit as hard as they push them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Junger said:

I recently picked up a Tatula Elite AGS 7' M/MH XF (TAEL701MMHXB-AGS)paired with a Zillion SV TW, and it is quickly becoming my favorite all around rod. I've been throwing everything from 1/2oz jigs to 1/16oz TRDs to 3/8oz chatterbaits to senkos (weightless, wacky, T-rigged). It's rated 1/8oz to 1oz, and really does have that range with the SV reel. I have a MB Orochi XX EMTF G1, and GLX 844C MBR, and the sensitivity is very much on par with those two.

This. I own this exact combo and it's great!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of the list I would be leaning towards the kistler and the expride. The 7’2” medium-heavy expride would be a wicked all round rod. Light, powerful and sensitive! Feel great in the hand. If I was going kistler I’d lean more towards the helium 3.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go with the G. Loomis high end rods.

 

You will not be sorry in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to do it all over again and pick my first higher end rod, I would pick the same rod..... G. Loomis 783C GLX.  I have yet to find its equal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt_3479 said:

Out of the list I would be leaning towards the kistler and the expride. The 7’2” medium-heavy expride would be a wicked all round rod. Light, powerful and sensitive! Feel great in the hand. If I was going kistler I’d lean more towards the helium 3.

To bad nobody has it in stock!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ksam1234 said:

To bad nobody has it in stock!!

Haha I keep forgetting that. In Canada the exprides are hard to find in general but super easy to order. And the stores that normally have them always have them in stock! 

 

To be 100% honest I would consider stepping up a hair more and going to a glx 843mbr. Just super versatile. I love the glx’s!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt_3479 said:

Haha I keep forgetting that. In Canada the exprides are hard to find in general but super easy to order. And the stores that normally have them always have them in stock! 

 

To be 100% honest I would consider stepping up a hair more and going to a glx 843mbr. Just super versatile. I love the glx’s!!

Yeah I would love to but idk.  200-300$ is about max I wanna spend. I did like that Shimano poison adrenA though ! Looks amazing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...