Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Its hard to imagine living with that much stress, knowing that at any moment all your lies and scams could be found out. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bassin' Brad said:

Its hard to imagine living with that much stress, knowing that at any moment all your lies and scams could be found out. 

People with that kind of ego don't stress about the lying because they don't think they'll ever get caught.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honesty is always the best policy, in fishing and everything else. If I go fishing and get skunked or have a good day, either way it's all on me. At the end of the day, I have nothing to hide, and I don't worry either way. Long made his choice, and now he has to live with it.Guys like him are out there. I love fishing too much to let someone like this mess up my favorite sport, in any way. Tonight after work, I'll be trying to catch some bass, and I could care less about Mike Long.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Mike Long from when I was a kid and he was gracing Bassmaster covers. 

 

He deserves to be banned from every public fishery in the country. It’s unethical on so many levels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading the 9 page article documenting Long's record of cheating it's amazing this story didn't go public years ago.

John Kerr gave Mike Long credibility by association and that must haunt John who is without doubt one of the top bass anglers and a good honest man. 

I have only talked to Mike Long twice for a few minutes at Anglers Bass A Thon events and he seemed friendly but always in a hurry to hustle vendors for lures. I just never gave Mike much thought, he was a loner never joined in group chatter for lunch.

Bill Murphy apparently saw through the facade and was spot on about  Mike being bad for bass fishing.

Tom 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope they make an example out of him.  Fishing privileges revoked, fines etc.  Fishing laws are taken very seriously where I’m from, hope the same goes for Cali.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WRB said:

After reading the 9 page article documenting Long's record of cheating it's amazing this story didn't go public years ago.

 

Being from that area & with your level of expertise did what he wrote or videos he made didn't he sound like he knew what he was talking about?

 

He did have an ability to catch big bass or how else would he have known where to go to snag em. Or how else could he have caught em to find or say he caught em where he didn't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Catt said:

 

Being from that area & with your level of expertise did what he wrote or videos he made didn't he sound like he knew what he was talking about?

 

He did have an ability to catch big bass or how else would he have known where to go to snag em. Or how else could he have caught em to find or say he caught em where he didn't.

From reading the article it sounds like the lakes there are super super clear so maybe he saw them and snagged them. On the other hand he did catch Dottie legitimately. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Long was a seminar speaker at Bass A Thon events before 2014 and had a big audience, he could talk the talk. Mike Long learned a lot about big bass from John Kerr and was invited to fish local and private lakes with several good bass anglers who revered him. I can not speculate about his fishing skills and according to John Kerr Mike wasn't a highly skilled angler. My guess is he used live bait and/or treble hook trap rigged jigs to snag bed fish when fishing alone as clearly documented.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, WRB said:

Mike Long was a seminar speaker at Bass A Thon events before 2014 and had a big audience, he could talk the talk. Mike Long learned a lot about big bass from John Kerr and was invited to fish local and private lakes with several good bass anglers who revered him. I can not speculate about his fishing skills and according to John Kerr Mike wasn't a highly skilled angler. My guess is he used live bait and/or treble hook trap rigged jigs to snag bed fish when fishing alone as clearly documented.

Tom

So do you think he has caught his share of big bass legitimately? He obviously didnt use his snag-rig while fishing with others...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bassin' Brad said:

So do you think he has caught his share of big bass legitimately? He obviously didnt use his snag-rig while fishing with others...

Mike could only snag bed fishing caught bass at night and usually alone or fishing with a local who knew the lakes. I am sure he caught some big bass legitimately but we will never know if he caught any giant bass legally.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WRB said:

Mike could only snag bed fishing caught bass at night and usually alone or fishing with a local who knew the lakes. I am sure he caught some big bass legitimately but we will never know if he caught any giant bass legally.

Tom

Did he tournament fish(solo) during other times of the year, where bedding bass were not around? That would also seem like a red flag.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bassin' Brad said:

So do you think he has caught his share of big bass legitimately? He obviously didnt use his snag-rig while fishing with others...

It was noted in the article several times that Kerr mentioned that Long barely contributed to their catches in the tournaments in which they were teamed up.  Except for the fish he apparently illegally hid in bags in his boat, only to pull one out later, acting like he'd just caught it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read the comments on the video and like someone mentioned there I-Cast is coming up very shortly. I wonder if he’d show his face? Highly doubtful, but nothing would surprise me at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 12poundbass said:

Read the comments on the video and like someone mentioned there I-Cast is coming up very shortly. I wonder if he’d show his face? Highly doubtful, but nothing would surprise me at this point. 

 

This guy is all about ego and reputation. Now that his is ruined, I highly doubt we'll hear from him ever again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, punch said:

That SDFish article on him is 9 pages of AMAZING writing and journalism. I found it even more entertaining than the youtube video. 

 

The levels that guy went to to cheat in tournaments & setting lake records was pretty amazing. 

I 100% agree.  It reminded me of watching a documentary.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Pickle_Power said:

It was noted in the article several times that Kerr mentioned that Long barely contributed to their catches in the tournaments in which they were teamed up.  Except for the fish he apparently illegally hid in bags in his boat, only to pull one out later, acting like he'd just caught it.

I need to go back and finish reading the long article. I kept having problems with it loading yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gotta believe there are some others involved ... likely payola happened ...

 

good fishing ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bassin' Brad said:

I need to go back and finish reading the long article. I kept having problems with it loading yesterday.

 The server that the website is hosted on probably couldn't keep up with all of the web traffic yesterday. It was slow to load for me last night and I kept dozing off waiting for pages to load.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of interesting to go back through some of the archived threads on this site pertaining to giant bass and Mike, among others, knowing what we now all have read. Would be interested in the thoughts of some of those posters now that all this has come to light.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Myself included!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never heard of the guy till yesterday. He seems like a real p o s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...