Jump to content
BubbaBassin’

I give. They’ve beaten me.

Recommended Posts

I’ve been fishing lake west point in GA from sunup, to sundown for four days now via a Kayak, I ‘ve looked for some deeper structure with no luck and have hammered every bit of shallow stucture i can find with everything from a Umbrella rig to a dropshot. Not.  A. Bite. Water is suuper clear, at least for me. This is my first time fishing this lake. Air temps are 70’s in the morning and mid 90’s in the afternoon. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You stated the water is clear. Do you see the bass? Or any fish?

 

You'll probably see this repeated throughout this thread, but the first option is to slow down. When I do that I use a Senko or a jig.

 

You didn't mention trying a topwater. In my area of the south a buzzbait or Pop-R is killer in the early evenings depending upon whether they are biting on fast or slow presentation. In these early evenings I've had luck in open water and not along the shoreline. Topwaters have worked the best for me in the summer months, especially buzzbaits.

 

During the heat of the day is always hit or miss for me. However, running a buzzbait close to any cover along the shoreline usually triggers a strike if the bass are there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to watch a guy host a TV show on that lake, I want to say it was rusty faulk but that doesnt seem right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TnRiver46 said:

I used to watch a guy host a TV show on that lake, I want to say it was rusty faulk but that doesnt seem right.

That's funny you mentioned that, I was thinking O'Neil Williams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jigfishn10 said:

That's funny you mentioned that, I was thinking O'Neil Williams.

He was my second guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late post spawn with fry schools...

This tells me a few things, fishing the back of protected coves if seeing fry schools and not catching bass, the bass are not there or not active.

Move out to secondary points, then further out and continue using soft plastics on deeper breaks with wood (brush) cover. A Spy bait also works and also requires patients and finesse.

Timing and location, both need to come together.

Tom

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BubbaBassin’ said:

@Koz just spent an hour with a senko and an hour with a buzzbait. Nothing.

Welcome to my world

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BubbaBassin’ said:

@Koz just spent an hour with a senko and an hour with a buzzbait. Nothing.

Sorry about that. Take a cue from @WRB , he's the master to my apprenticeship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Koz said:

Sorry about that. Take a cue from @WRB , he's the master to my apprenticeship.

All good man. 

1 hour ago, WRB said:

Late post spawn with fry schools...

This tells me a few things, fishing the back of protected coves if seeing fry schools and not catching bass, the bass are not there or not active.

Move out to secondary points, then further out and continue using soft plastics on deeper breaks with wood (brush) cover. A Spy bait also works and also requires patients and finesse.

Timing and location, both need to come together.

Tom

 

@WRB I looked at the fishing report, and it doesn’t make much sense to me. It uses markers that I can’t seem to find. And it’s a week old. But it also says that the fish have been on road beds? Is that like spawn beds or similar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Road beds are roads that existed before the lake was flooded when the dam was biult.

Meaning they can start at the shoreline or anywhere and can be any depth. A good topo map or didgital 1' Navonics map will show road beds.

What does a road bed offer bass? Structure. Roads have a flat surface with well defined edges, culverts, bridges, cuts through higher hill areas, all kinds of structure elements.

What is important to know is what depth are the bass being caught at? You may be able to determine that by the lures listed in fish reports. My guess is between 6 to 10 feet if the bass are post spawn.

Look at maps and Mark road beds from the shoreline to 10'.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @WRB sorry to bother yu again but I went out again this morning, (it’s where i’m at now), and these bass are eating these 1 inch baitfish and chasing them across the top of the water in the back of this cove but I can’t get them to eat? I got a bite on a wacky rig under a tree but didn’t hook up. Any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BubbaBassin’ said:

Hey @WRB sorry to bother yu again but I went out again this morning, (it’s where i’m at now), and these bass are eating these 1 inch baitfish and chasing them across the top of the water in the back of this cove but I can’t get them to eat? I got a bite on a wacky rig under a tree but didn’t hook up. Any advice?

Small curly tail white grub on 1/8 oz jig head when they are chasing like that 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BubbaBassin’ said:

Hey @WRB sorry to bother yu again but I went out again this morning, (it’s where i’m at now), and these bass are eating these 1 inch baitfish and chasing them across the top of the water in the back of this cove but I can’t get them to eat? I got a bite on a wacky rig under a tree but didn’t hook up. Any advice?

Have you tried imitating the baitfish? If you have a ned rig that would probably work well, but you could always cut down a bigger soft plastic in a pinch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, BubbaBassin’ said:

Hey @WRB sorry to bother yu again but I went out again this morning, (it’s where i’m at now), and these bass are eating these 1 inch baitfish and chasing them across the top of the water in the back of this cove but I can’t get them to eat? I got a bite on a wacky rig under a tree but didn’t hook up. Any advice?

I would try a small plastic swimbait, something like a Creme Lures spoiler shad or a Storm Wildeye swim shad in a 2" or 3" length. I have birds nested casting them before and while my bait was sitting in the water had a bass swallow one up. They mimic these small baitfish and are highly effective in clear water.

 

Also try a small 1/4oz popper. Sunrise and sundown should be your best times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the fish feeding on tiny 1" fry are bass they should react to a Splash-It or Zip n Ziggy in baby bass retreived quickly. The fish may not be bass you see feeding, every predator eats small baitfish including carp. 

Soft plastics I like baby bass color Basstrix Bait Fry and Flashtrix minnow or Roboworm FX Sculpin on a drop or slip shot rig for those cobpditions.

It can be very frustrating chasing surface feeders when you don't know what species the are your trying to catch. Sometimes a 1/4 oz Nickle spoon like a Kastmaster will catch whatever the feeders are.

Tom  

PS, use whatever lures you have similar to those brands referenced, I use what I have confidence in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, WRB said:

If the fish feeding on tiny 1" fry are bass they should react to a Splash-It or Zip n Ziggy in baby bass retreived quickly. The fish may not be bass you see feeding, every predator eats small baitfish including carp. 

Soft plastics I like baby bass color Basstrix Bait Fry and Flashtrix minnow or Roboworm FX Sculpin on a drop or slip shot rig for those cobpditions.

It can be very frustrating chasing surface feeders when you don't know what species the are your trying to catch. Sometimes a 1/4 oz Nickle spoon like a Kastmaster will catch whatever the feeders are.

Tom  

PS, use whatever lures you have similar to those brands referenced, I use what I have confidence in.

Yeah, like what I was saying -- downsize and go with baits that mimic baitfish. Should it be bass feeding on these smaller baitfish, I would imagine you'd have success with the above (or a small soft plastic swimbait).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, EGbassing said:

Have you tried imitating the baitfish?

 

a) I heard that he tried, but he couldn't hold his breath that long.

b) He did, but the fish didn't think it was that funny.

c) He wanted to but was afraid someone would charge him with cultural appropriation.

 

Thank you, I'm here all week. Try the veal!

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walk a fluke on top to imitate the fleeing baitfish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BubbaBassin’ said:

@Boomstick @WRB Finally got one as the sun was setting.

65E2162E-80A0-4C9E-9BD2-74DF7B7E5DA5.jpeg

Way to keep after it!!

You didn't give and they didn't beat you.

 

I like to view the time that I am not catching fish as the time that I am spending practicing my casting skills.

That way I can look at the situation in a positive way instead of a negative one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...