pondhopperNJ

Best style of trailer for Chatterbaits?

Hey all, I recently been using Z-Mans Original chatterbaits a lot in 3/8oz and man I've been having a blast, but now my question is about trailers, can anybody recommend some good actual trailers for me? I've been using ripped paddle tail dingers and some old rage craws for now but I want something that's you know... an actual trailer for chatterbaits, 

Anybody got some suggestions? 

Zako. Best there is. 

• Like 1

For a fish imitation the Zako or an upside down swimbait.   But also, rage tail creature/craw baits are awesome.  

It depends a lot on how you want to use it but even twin tail curly grubs can work well.

20190711_214559_compress22.jpg

Edited by JediAmoeba
Added picture of 5 I used today.

Depends. I like the strike king menace grubs and their blade minnow. The latter being very underrated.

I use something similar to the Zako segmented swimbait, paddletails, and this has been my favorite so far...doesn't add too much bulk or crazy extra vibration.  I trim the tails a bit personally. (or legs, looks like a giant cricket).  It's more bulky than some spinnerbait tails I bought, but less so than Zako/paddletails.

spacer.png

I use Razor Shadz almost exclusively.  I caught 27 on one yesterday and never had to change it out because they last forever.

• Thanks 1

Lake Fork Magic Shad 

Trimmed paddle tail swimbait 

Swim Senko

Boiled grass pigs

I fish chatterbaits a lot and have ditched every trailer except Rage Tail Bug.  White or dark.  No need for anything else. 

11 hours ago, JediAmoeba said:

For a fish imitation the Zako or an upside down swimbait.   But also, rage tail creature/craw baits are awesome.  

It depends a lot on how you want to use it but even twin tail curly grubs can work well.

20190711_214559_compress22.jpg

Why upside down with the swimbaits?

2 hours ago, CarpCasey said:

Why upside down with the swimbaits?

I can't take credit for it but Tactical had a video explaining it and after trying it out it was noticably better - I wouldn't say it was as different as stated in the video but it was enough to warrant changing.  

• Like 2

I've fished several trailers.

Some were better than others.

I've settled on two with a very occasional third thrown in.

A Rage Bug (pictured) A Zako and the audible is a Swim Senko.

:smiley:

A-Jay

56407525_329825407676902_7290115572258308096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=354bbcd7b627092a448a98ca845e3168&oe=5D46CEA5

At the 6 minute mark he goes into detail on the reason.  

• Like 2

I use unsalted paddletail swimbaits. I like to leave the trailers on my baits if I can, and I don't want salt in my boxes rusting things up.

Check these things out. They're awesome trailers for swim jigs, bladed jigs, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits in the 3.5" size. Buy 10+ packs and get them at $0.16 apiece.

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Spinnerbait-Trailers/Swim-Minnow.html

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, BassThumb said:

I use unsalted paddletail swimbaits. I like to leave the trailers on my baits if I can, and I don't want salt in my boxes rusting things up.

Check these things out. They're awesome trailers for swim jigs, bladed jigs, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits in the 3.5" size. Buy 10+ packs and get them at $0.16 apiece.

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Spinnerbait-Trailers/Swim-Minnow.html

Thanks!  Those'll do the trick.  Awesome price.

Zoom Fat Albert or a Zoom Super Chunk. 

4 hours ago, JediAmoeba said:

I can't take credit for it but Tactical had a video explaining it and after trying it out it was noticably better - I wouldn't say it was as different as stated in the video but it was enough to warrant changing.  

I remember that video now that you say that I'll have to re-watch it

19 hours ago, Megastink said:

Depends. I like the strike king menace grubs and their blade minnow. The latter being very underrated.

*The SK Blade Minnow is awesome ! ... I also like a Super Fluke , a grub and a craw ... Paddle Tails work better rigged upside down but I still believe they fight against the chatterbait action thus I like them much better on a swim jig .

Take a pitboss, rig is sideways.  You wont regret it!

I'm biased, but I like the Big Bite Kamikaze Swimon :D 

C76D32F6-D02F-4509-BFB7-C44D6AE425B4.jpeg.0f7e0aa897036b996e0b61a8ce6966d5.jpeg

That Swimon looks pretty good to me.

23 hours ago, JediAmoeba said:

According to T.B. it has to do with the water displacement of the chatterbait lip / coffin so when a paddle tail is rigged upside down the paddle has cleaner water to wiggle more naturally and not work against the chatterbait undesirably . Rigging a paddle tail upside down also helps the chatterbait stay down better (works similarly on a spinner bait too) .

Rage Menace or Havoc Pitboss rigged vertically, 3.8-5 inch swimbait, or 2/3 of a stickworm are my favorites. 

On July 12, 2019 at 9:00 AM, A-Jay said:

I've fished several trailers.

Some were better than others.

I've settled on two with a very occasional third thrown in.

A Rage Bug (pictured) A Zako and the audible is a Swim Senko.

:smiley:

A-Jay

56407525_329825407676902_7290115572258308096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=354bbcd7b627092a448a98ca845e3168&oe=5D46CEA5

Lamiglas SR705R crankbait rod, cool!

Tom

I started with Zoom Fluke Jr for a chatterbiat trailer and never changed because it works.

Tom

• Like 1