Jump to content

Comfortable boat footwear?


Functional

Recommended Posts

Been trying to find a comfortable boat shoe. I mostly go barefoot or with my solomons but neither are all that comfortable for more than 4-5 hours of fishing, not to mention feel like my feet cook in the sun.

 

Anyone have any recommendations for a very light, airy and cushiony pair of footwear

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

During warm weather, I wear Crocs on the boat. Comfy with or without socks, don’t weigh much, doesn’t matter if they get wet. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Another vote for Crocs.  Fishing is the only time I wear them.  They are comfortable and can get wet.  There are some ramps that I can’t launch from without either getting my feet wet or doing some dangerous acrobatic maneuvering from the bed of the truck to the boat.  It’s nice to be able to wade in when I need to.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
3 hours ago, Functional said:

Been trying to find a comfortable boat shoe. I mostly go barefoot or with my solomons but neither are all that comfortable for more than 4-5 hours of fishing, not to mention feel like my feet cook in the sun.

 

Anyone have any recommendations for a very light, airy and cushiony pair of footwear

Most any type of light athletic foot wear can work.

A runners or light hiker's shoe might be a good option.

I wear a 'boot' type deal is cooler weather and a Huk brand fishing shoe in warmer weather,

because that's what I do.

However something that has really helped me endure the rigors of standing on that front deck for hours on end, (I never sit & fish) is I've place an orthotic insole in all my fishing footwear.

Seems a little weird at first but in the long run it really seems to help.

I do not have any 'foot' problems, simply enjoy the extra cushioning and arch support they offer.

There are a million different ones.

I prefer the 3/4 length as they do not crowd my toes in my shoe.

Tried a few, settled on these and they can go in almost anything.

(except maybe Crocs & Flip Flops)

Airplus Plantar Fascia Insole for support and comfort, Men's size 7-12

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Airplus-Plantar-Fascia-Insole-for-support-and-comfort-Men-s-size-7-12/33887307?adsRedirect=true

 

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
11 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Keen Newport H2 sandals.

I wore those for a while in the canoe, totally comfy.

And the tiger like striped tan lines on the top of each foot at the end of the summer

were especially interesting.

#alienfoot

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Appreciating the inputs so far!

 

I didnt event think of throwing soles in a pair of fishing shoes...I use a set in my work books and they do wonders. Going to look into these and the Keens so far.

 

I need Crocs to launch my boat since I have to walk in almost knee high (im short) and will slip them on occasionally fishing but they dont offer enough arch support for longer than 1hr of use. Like A-Jay I dont sit down unless I'm motoring or eating. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I wear a size 8.5 EE & have a high instep, so support from shoes are necessary. I wear quality "tennis shoes" with memory foam or something like @A-Jay mentioned.

 

Can not wear Crocs or flip flops!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wear a 13 EEEE, so I've always got skis on whether I'm in the boat or not.

 

For real, though: If it's cold, I wear boots and double up on socks because I'm a huge baby. If it's not cold, I'll just wear sneakers, or Merrell Hydro Mocs (which are like Crocs, but better, because they have a tiny bit more arch support and are always in sport mode).

 

My favorite mocs are matchy-matchy with my favorite jighead color.

 

W1HcyVi.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
28 minutes ago, galyonj said:

I wear a 13 EEEE

 

Depending on the manufacturer I can wear EEE & a size 9. The problem is most only offer a size D!

 

31 minutes ago, galyonj said:

If it's cold, I wear boots and double up on socks because I'm a huge baby

 

Once my feet get cold I'm done!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wader boots on the bank.  Crocs in the boat.

 

I like Crocs because if I go over board I can kick em off and swim without a whole to do. ???

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
6 minutes ago, galyonj said:

If It was up to me, I'd just stay barefoot

 

Growing up in rural Louisiana we didn't wear shoes to school until the 4th grade. 

 

Everytime I've tried wearing flip flops I ended up rolling an ankle. With Crocs I feel every one of those bumps & my feet slide around. 

 

Never learned to walk like a geisha girl!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Nephew turned me on to these "Hey Dude" slip ons that are machine washable so I'm going to say they're safe to wade. They're like slippers and I'm in love so far. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crocs for me too, with socks to prevent the polka dot sunburn. A lot of ramps in NH require me to walk in the water to load, so Crocs are a must.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Catt said:

Growing up in rural Louisiana we didn't wear shoes to school until the 4th grade. 

 

Everytime I've tried wearing flip flops I ended up rolling an ankle. With Crocs I feel every one of those bumps & my feet slide around. 

 

Never learned to walk like a geisha girl!

 

Semi-rural TN, here. We were a forced to be a bit more civilized, but that only worked as long as somebody was watching us.

 

I'd wear flip flops if I could, but they don't keep the AFO in place like I need.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PourMyOwn said:

Crocs for me too, with socks to prevent the polka dot sunburn. A lot of ramps in NH require me to walk in the water to load, so Crocs are a must.

 

You should watch @TnRiver46 crawl across his rig at the ramp. It's like watching a spider monkey.

 

Every time I fish with him I expect to hear David Attenborough narrate.

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
36 minutes ago, throttleplate said:

Tried these last week but it was tough to walk on the rocky shoreline.

Untitledh.jpg.122ec5dc60c96aa152f15ec578097231.jpg

Have to say, they match your skirt rather nicely.

:yes:

A-Jay

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Most any type of light athletic foot wear can work.

A runners or light hiker's shoe might be a good option.

I wear a 'boot' type deal is cooler weather and a Huk brand fishing shoe in warmer weather,

because that's what I do.

However something that has really helped me endure the rigors of standing on that front deck for hours on end, (I never sit & fish) is I've place an orthotic insole in all my fishing footwear.

Seems a little weird at first but in the long run it really seems to help.

I do not have any 'foot' problems, simply enjoy the extra cushioning and arch support they offer.

There are a million different ones.

I prefer the 3/4 length as they do not crowd my toes in my shoe.

Tried a few, settled on these and they can go in almost anything.

(except maybe Crocs & Flip Flops)

Airplus Plantar Fascia Insole for support and comfort, Men's size 7-12

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Airplus-Plantar-Fascia-Insole-for-support-and-comfort-Men-s-size-7-12/33887307?adsRedirect=true

 

:smiley:

A-Jay

 


Hey A-Jay,

 

This seems really helpful and something I’ve been looking for; do you see any reason these wouldn’t work for running shoes?

 

I log 20-30 miles a week running and it takes a toll on my feet and I’ve been looking for something to try and help with the pain.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
15 minutes ago, bassh8er said:


Hey A-Jay,

 

This seems really helpful and something I’ve been looking for; do you see any reason these wouldn’t work for running shoes?

 

I log 20-30 miles a week running and it takes a toll on my feet and I’ve been looking for something to try and help with the pain.

Not sure if you'd enjoy running any distance in the ones I use (and posted up).

Very good chance that they could 'change' your running gate in a negative manner. 

I'd look for something 'thinner' or less intrusive.

Basically just a thin pad or a heel 'cup'.

Finally, and I bet you know this,

but if not, running shoes have a relatively short 'life span'.

So if you're a prolific runner and not replacing them every few months,

I'd start there.

20-30 miles to a non-runner sounds like a lot.

But to 'runners' it's par for the course.

I did it many years. 

My wife was a marathoner - we went through some shoes. 

:smiley:

A-Jay

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




  • Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.