What other species has your attention?

Whenever I'm fishing a new lake or pond, I always cast out a worm under a bobber.  Something about catching gills and shellcrackers is just fun.  During the winter I target catfish (and I don't catch much).  Also salt species like drum and specks.  If I'm up north, I love trout, pike and perch.  I recently caught my first grass carp (on a whopper plopper, if you can believe it!).

I realized halfway through this post that I was just naming every species in North America.

Bowfin in the summer and pickerel in the winter. Both are a lot of fun.

Other centrarchids I love besides LMB are redbreasts and stumpknockers--both have beautiful colors and aggressive fights on light gear.

Suwannee bass are always a treat to see, but I'm not in their territory often.

And then saltwater: obviously reds and specks, but by-catch like lizardfish and ladyfish are fun, too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator

Big catfish (little catfish can kick rocks), are one of my favorite fish to catch.

20230904-095250.jpg

I also have a weekend off in October, planning to chase a muskie from my kayak, really looking forward to that.

• Like 5

@Bluebasser86 "I also have a weekend off in October, planning on being pulled around for 30 minutes, 2 miles downstream by a muskie from my kayak" There i fixed it for you!

Ive seen some videos of people catching these great fish on a kayak and the amount of strength these great fish have (although sometimes a fast fight depending on gear) honestly scares me enough to the point im worried about throwing spinnerbaits in the river while fishing out of a kayak. Good luck to you!

• Haha 1

• Super User

For food…Walleye and hopefully enough to bring some fillets home from St Clair in May.  Locally, Snakeheads are fun went out for the first time Sunday on the Rappahonock River and caught a few.  My buddy got a 9 pounder.  Pics are from last year. 

IMG_0689.jpeg

IMG_0062.jpeg

FB_IMG_1497135216558.jpeg

IMG_1219.jpeg

IMG_1121.jpeg

• Like 4

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, MediumMouthBass said:

@Bluebasser86 "I also have a weekend off in October, planning on being pulled around for 30 minutes, 2 miles downstream by a muskie from my kayak" There i fixed it for you!

Ive seen some videos of people catching these great fish on a kayak and the amount of strength these great fish have (although sometimes a fast fight depending on gear) honestly scares me enough to the point im worried about throwing spinnerbaits in the river while fishing out of a kayak. Good luck to you!

The lake I'm headed to is a 500 acre lake, so I don't have to worry about getting pulled downstream thankfully. 

I've caught 13 muskie in my life and 12 of them were from this lake (8 of them in 3 days one of my last trips there). Biggest was a 42" fish. It's a good bass lake also, so it's just a fun lake all around. Trolling motors only make it even more appealing for kayaking.

• Like 2

I love me some crappie and perch! Usually only fish large and small mouth but spend plenty of time on the “bobber fish”.

Have absolutely no use for catfish or pike, both nuisance fish to me and detest catching either.

Walleye, I can get with them ‘cause they be tasty 😋 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super User

Mostly lmbs now, but in the past, I've fished for all the usual suspects, from brookies to 'bows, from yellow perch to their big brothers, the walleyes, from bluegills to muskies, and on and on. 

• Like 3