Jump to content

Shimano vs daiwa $150 casting reel


Recommended Posts

Would you go with the shimano SLX 70, or the daiwa tatula CT? Would be going on a daiwa tatula elite rod. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I'm slightly biased towards Daiwa.  Would depend on the line you plan on using.  The SLX holds a lot less than the CT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, new2BC4bass said:

I'm slightly biased towards Daiwa.  Would depend on the line you plan on using.  The SLX holds a lot less than the CT.

I’ll be using 30lb braid to a 20lb fluoro leader. Is the slx more comfortable to hold? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No one should ever pay $150 for a Tatula CT, go to amazon, DSG/BPS and get them to price match.

I got both of mine for $120 each this way.

 

Both of my Tatula CT's are excellent reels, but have no chance against my SLX MGL 70.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, August said:

I’ll be using 30lb braid to a 20lb fluoro leader. Is the slx more comfortable to hold? 

30# Sufix 832 is .011.  30# Berkley X9 is .008.  Go with the X9 on the SLX.

 

Comfort is personal.  I haven't used my SLX 71 MGL yet.  Used my Scorpion 71HG twice a couple years ago.  Don't remember about comfort.  Do remember that it took longer to get dialed in than any Daiwa and my older Shimanos.

 

My Tatulas are the original Type R and a couple SV103s.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

The 2024 model SLX comes with upgrade MGL spool!

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m a big fan of shimano and especially the slx mgl 70. I have owned both models you ask about and while I liked the tatula ct, just from a comfort standpoint alone I much prefer the SLX mgl. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2024 at 6:45 PM, August said:

Could I get tackle warehouse to match that?

We must be able to verify the lower price through a valid online website (any Ebay auctions, Amazon, craigslist etc. are examples of sites that we do not price match).

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/SupportCenter/OrderInfo/

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No one should ever pay $150 for a Tatula CT, go to amazon, DSG/BPS and get them to price match.

I got both of mine for $120 each this way.

 

Both of my Tatula CT's are excellent reels, but have no chance against my SLX MGL 70.

And if using braided line the SLX with the MGL spool casts as far or farther than a Tatula CT with mono or hybrid. Both reels are great choices tho, just chose one for what it does best.

Tatula CT = all around reel, and great distance.

SLX with MGL spool = excels at lighter or heavier baits. Not bfs, but weightless soft plastics, lighter jigs, smaller crankbaits and jerkbaits, and other lures that are hard to cast. And also for flipping/pitching heavy stuff too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

$120 for a Tatula CT is still insane.  When they were new back in 2016 and they were $129 msrp and under $100 street price.  The fact that they are STILL on the market after the 2018 100 and 2024 100 boggles the mind let alone that they are at a higher msrp than when they were new in 2016.  I just don't get it. 

To add to my inability to comprehend this, the Tatula 80, which is an current gen Alphas with a long shaft Magforce Z spool, is $110.  Even if you are a fan of the big 2016 Tatula CT shape the Fuego CT SV is under $100.  WHY do people buy the Tatula CT?  It's 2024.  

1716992407054701.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
12 hours ago, MediumMouthBass said:

No one should ever pay $150 for a Tatula CT, go to amazon, DSG/BPS and get them to price match.

I got both of mine for $120 each this way.

 

Both of my Tatula CT's are excellent reels, but have no chance against my SLX MGL 70.

And if using braided line the SLX with the MGL spool casts as far or farther than a Tatula CT with mono or hybrid. Both reels are great choices tho, just chose one for what it does best.

Tatula CT = all around reel, and great distance.

SLX with MGL spool = excels at lighter or heavier baits. Not bfs, but weightless soft plastics, lighter jigs, smaller crankbaits and jerkbaits, and other lures that are hard to cast. And also for flipping/pitching heavy stuff too.

Would the SLX 70 not be great for multi purpose stuff? I would mostly use that setup at a light flipping and pitching combo but for now it’d have to do everything

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, August said:

Would the SLX 70 not be great for multi purpose stuff? I would mostly use that setup at a light flipping and pitching combo but for now it’d have to do everything

It excels with lighter and heavier baits. But it can do everything, as long as the line and rod being used fit it. Ive thrown lighter and smaller jerkbaits, weightless soft plastics, lighter texas rigs, and then lipless crankbaits, football and swim jigs, chatterbaits, paddle tail swimbaits, heavy texas rigs and it handled all very good. Easy to cast, and got some good distance, but i was using 30lb braid. If using mono, hybrid, or fluoro i would probably not like the reel as much, unless i was only doing close flipping and pitching. Would probably make an excellent frog reel too, well yes and no. The ablility to cast a frog would be great, but thats too nice of a reel to destroy in the lily pads and grass.

Theres a few really great videos on youtube about the reel, but they are mostly the last gen ones. They still apply to the newer gen, its alot of the same but in some areas they added some nice features.

 

The SLX with MGL spools are so good i have no need for my Zillion, now the Zillion is a really amazing reel, it truly is, but id rather sell it and have cash plus my MGL. Theres a point where features just arent needed anymore and you are just adding stuff thats not important or needed.

Thats how much i love my MGL spool SLX, sadly i only have one.... Really shouldve bought alot more when they were closing out the last gen for $100 a few months ago....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MediumMouthBass said:

It excels with lighter and heavier baits. But it can do everything, as long as the line and rod being used fit it. Ive thrown lighter and smaller jerkbaits, weightless soft plastics, lighter texas rigs, and then lipless crankbaits, football and swim jigs, chatterbaits, paddle tail swimbaits, heavy texas rigs and it handled all very good. Easy to cast, and got some good distance, but i was using 30lb braid. If using mono, hybrid, or fluoro i would probably not like the reel as much, unless i was only doing close flipping and pitching. Would probably make an excellent frog reel too, well yes and no. The ablility to cast a frog would be great, but thats too nice of a reel to destroy in the lily pads and grass.

Theres a few really great videos on youtube about the reel, but they are mostly the last gen ones. They still apply to the newer gen, its alot of the same but in some areas they added some nice features.

So if I want a reel that I can use in grass and pads that’s not the one to go with? Should I get the tatula 100 on Amazon for $111? Are there any issues with ordering directly from Japan through Amazon?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, August said:

So if I want a reel that I can use in grass and pads that’s not the one to go with? Should I get the tatula 100 on Amazon for $111?

You can use it in grass and pads, it wont have an issue. Its just i like the look and feel of mine too much to use it for that stuff, but i wouldnt use any of my Tatulas for that type of fishing either. I save the base model SLX and Lews LFS for that stuff, because if anything happens they are budget oriented reels. And after awhile of fishing in grass and pads heavily the reel looks like a car thats been in a junkyard for a decade. But thats only my preference. I have several Tatulas but no 100, heard to many bad reviews about the last gen and chose not to buy one. With the new gen it seems more people like them and ill have to start checking reviews, might buy one but not sure what it would be good for or compared to. Dont have any info on that one, but it seems like it would be better to go with the 100 over the CT for Daiwa, but really hard to compare anything other than a Zillion to my MGL spool in the SLX. And im a Daiwa guy, just with a few Shimanos saying that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, MediumMouthBass said:

You can use it in grass and pads, it wont have an issue. Its just i like the look and feel of mine too much to use it for that stuff, but i wouldnt use any of my Tatulas for that type of fishing either. I save the base model SLX and Lews LFS for that stuff, because if anything happens they are budget oriented reels. And after awhile of fishing in grass and pads heavily the reel looks like a car thats been in a junkyard for a decade. But thats only my preference. I have several Tatulas but no 100, heard to many bad reviews about the last gen and chose not to buy one. With the new gen it seems more people like them and I’ll have to start checking reviews, might buy one but not sure what it would be good for or compared to. Dont have any info on that one, but it seems like it would be better to go with the 100 over the CT for Daiwa, but really hard to compare anything other than a Zillion to my MGL spool in the SLX. And im a Daiwa guy, just with a few Shimanos saying that.

So it should maybe get something like a fuego or the SLX A if I wanted a reel I could beat up more? And would it be stupid to put a $100-$120 reel on a $190 rod? If I got a reel in that price range I might get the regular tatula instead of the elite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
7 minutes ago, August said:

And would it be stupid to put a $100-$120 reel on a $190 rod?

Why would you think that? The reel is basically just for holding the line and taking it up...the rod is what you cast the lure and fight the fish with. Rods should be better than the reels...long as the reels aren't bottom of the barrel.

 

I've got used reels that I paid between $60 and $80 on $200 Victory rods...works great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, August said:

So it should maybe get something like a fuego or the SLX A if I wanted a reel I could beat up more? And would it be stupid to put a $100-$120 reel on a $190 rod? If I got a reel in that price range I might get the regular tatula instead of the elite

I have a Zillion, Tatula SV TW, SLX MGL, on Aird X rods i got for $33. I get laughed at but it works and works great. So $100 reels on a $190 rod is fine.

 

And as a person who has both the Fuego and SLX A thats a great idea. They are both very durable, and feel very heavy duty. The Fuego is a bit better for that type of fishing tho, but both are excellent choices, go with whatever ones on sale for cheaper. Unless you only like those 2 brands the LFS goes on sale alot for around $60. Its just as good. I actually have my SLX (old one not A), LFS, and Fuego CT for fishing grass and lily pads. I switch them out every few months and dont have a favorite. All do great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • Outboard Engine

    fishing forum


    Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.