Jump to content

Latest Catch Pics Thread


Master Bait'r

Recommended Posts

  • Super User

I hear ya buddy...I've been getting my a$% kicked at my local lake. Its by no means a bass factory- but I can usually catch a few. I went out both mornings this weekend and caught a grand total of 2 bass.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I caught a pair of 1.5# LM in 3.5hrs of night fishing, then took a skunking after the lights came on yesterday morning. Brutal.

 We're getting our first rain in a while right now. Nothing heavy, just showers. It's gonna continue through the night, along with 6-10mph winds. I'm gonna get after them about 2am. Hopfully this mild front will jump start 'em.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I returned to this morning's bog where I caught my PB this morning. I fished two hours and landed 13 fish, a mix of pickerel and bass. The first bass weighed 2.57 pounds. The second bass hit a 7" green pumpkin Senko that was T-rigged and weightless. I don't know that I've ever fought a stronger bass. I made a point of keeping her out of the weeds, but man, that wasn't easy. You can see that she's almost 20 inches, but I didn't get a weight because my scale stopped working right when I tried to weigh her. Texas.gov length to weight chart says that she'd weigh 4.68 pounds at her length, but she's so thick, top and bottom, that I'm guessing she weighed five pounds. Now I am tired after fishing this morning (rising at three) and this evening and won't fish for a few days. Whew!

bunny1.jpg

bunny2.jpg

  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
Just now, Drawdown said:


Some fish are full of mustard, somehow.

 

I know. Throughout the fight, I kept thinking I was going to lose. She ran, she jumped, she tried to burrow into weeds. I'm still surprised she ended up in my net. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
8 minutes ago, ol'crickety said:

I returned to this morning's bog where I caught my PB this morning. I fished two hours and landed 13 fish, a mix of pickerel and bass. The first bass weighed 2.57 pounds. The second bass hit a 7" green pumpkin Senko that was T-rigged and weightless. I don't know that I've ever fought a stronger bass. I made a point of keeping her out of the weeds, but man, that wasn't easy. You can see that she's almost 20 inches, but I didn't get a weight because my scale stopped working right when I tried to weigh her. Texas.gov length to weight chart says that she'd weigh 4.68 pounds at her length, but she's so thick, top and bottom, that I'm guessing she weighed five pounds. Now I am tired after fishing this morning (rising at three) and this evening and won't fish for a few days. Whew!

bunny1.jpg

bunny2.jpg

Great job, and it's important to keep fishing on those rare occasions when the big ones are biting.

 

Again, I'd be focusing heavily on that particular body of water but I understand why you like to bounce around.     That's the beauty of this game, we all have different styles, and goals.    

 

Keep doing you, it's working extremely well ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
2 minutes ago, AlabamaSpothunter said:

 

Keep doing you, it's working extremely well


Thank you!

 

But I have to take a break. I used to be able to fish all day for a week straight, but those days are long gone.

 

5 minutes ago, AlabamaSpothunter said:

That's the beauty of this game, we all have different styles, and goals.   

 

Yeah, I love those bonkers days where the bass shred my thumb. Sorry I can't leave a reaction for you. All out!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, ol'crickety said:

I returned to this morning's bog where I caught my PB this morning. I fished two hours and landed 13 fish, a mix of pickerel and bass. The first bass weighed 2.57 pounds. The second bass hit a 7" green pumpkin Senko that was T-rigged and weightless. I don't know that I've ever fought a stronger bass. I made a point of keeping her out of the weeds, but man, that wasn't easy. You can see that she's almost 20 inches, but I didn't get a weight because my scale stopped working right when I tried to weigh her. Texas.gov length to weight chart says that she'd weigh 4.68 pounds at her length, but she's so thick, top and bottom, that I'm guessing she weighed five pounds. Now I am tired after fishing this morning (rising at three) and this evening and won't fish for a few days. Whew!

bunny1.jpg

bunny2.jpg

I agree that it is probably 5lbs, has nice thick shoulders and a nice tummy to go with it. Great job today you are on fire like I knew you would be. I am looking forward to hearing about your future trips with anticipation ? have a great night.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got out twice today, wanted to try my choppo  on mono instead of 14lb fluorocarbon that I normally use on my other reel. I was coming through some sparse weeds and had one roll on it and miss it completely. I think I startled it and it wasn’t going after it to eat it. I then kept fishing in the rain in my hoodie, felt good with the temperatures we had last week. Managed to blow my reel up on a cast and tried to get it out for 8 minutes and decided that I needed to go get some groceries lol. I was there for a hour tops at spring valley fishing. Off to the store I went defeated, the store was crazy busy.

 

 I got home and got the mess out of the reel and salvaged the last half of the spool. I have big game on it and could respool it but I didn’t want to. I was happy and figured that is still plenty of line.

 

 I had to pick my son up in allegan and figured that I might as well put it to the test again and make sure that I had enough line on the reel still. I was still using the choppo and bombing cast and had enough line on the reel. I kept at it a while moved spots and casted and came back through where I caught a pike a little while back. I had a light strike but it didn’t grab it. I kept trying different angles and eventually caught a small smallie about 20 feet off the bank.  The spot was perfectly set up as a ambush point, shallow rocky point leading to a flat with a drop on the outside. It was a good day and fun, I can’t complain.

 

 I find it nuts how camera positions change the size of fish, one pic he looks smaller and the other he looks bigger than he was. I always like trying to make my fish look as small as possible. I catch fish and I don’t want to lie about there size.

IMG_1160.jpeg

IMG_1162.jpeg

IMG_1163.jpeg

IMG_1164.jpeg

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dominat0r said:

 

I checked out that backpack and the bass pro. Bass pro version is on sale right now for $59 and comes with 4 boxes. Check it out. Took it this weekend and it served me well. Time will tell if it holds up.

 

Price was the primary reason I picked out the Ozarks Trail one. Cheapest I could find. If you can find one for a similar price, I definitely recommend finding a higher quality backpack. Mine has served me pretty well so far, but Ozark Trail is a cheap as you can get. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
8 hours ago, ghost said:

A couple more pics of SoCal biggies

bass 1.jpg

bass 2.jpg

bass 3.jpg

bass 4.jpg

 

Gorgeous fish! You and I had pretty much the same day yesterday, as I caught a 6.5-lber. and a likely 5-lber. You just caught yours in the southwest and I caught mine in the northeast. It's great to see you smiling so wide!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
10 hours ago, Jmurphy87 said:

I find it nuts how camera positions change the size of fish, one pic he looks smaller and the other he looks bigger than he was. I always like trying to make my fish look as small as possible. I catch fish and I don’t want to lie about there size.

 

So true. This is why I love my bump board. #bumpboarddon'tlie

 

The bump board also cradles the fish. They feel cozy in it and rarely flip out. A quick dunk in the water first, a trick I learned from the YouTuber, Old Lady Angler, and it also protects their slime coat. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2023 at 10:09 AM, hokiehunter373 said:

Got out for an hour with my buddy even though I didn't think there'd be much of a bite with last nights conditions.  Started with a square bill with no action.  Wanted to catch a fish so Beau could have a lick so I tossed the in-line spinner and got a sunny and then a tiny little bass.  Beau approved. 

 

image.thumb.jpeg.1fd03ece186621262b5d73c8b9fdb948.jpeg

 

Picked up the wacky worm and caught a few 1ish pound largies.  Snapped off on my best one on the hook set because the drag was set to tight ?‍♂️Felt like the fish were pulled back and deeper and while I hate running a crank from the bank I figured I'd try to see if I could get a reaction from any of them before it inevitably was in the weeds.  I did not.  Butttt just as I was about to set it down I saw a decent swirl right up on the rocks.  Tossed the crank over, it landed just out of the water on the rocks, and the bass tried to eat it out of the water!  Gave it a little tug so it got in the water and he smashed it.  Set the hook and he ran hard.  Just a little 2 pounder but a super fun eat and good fight.

 

image.thumb.jpeg.01905bc7a862bd524371777fb5b12925.jpeg

 

Finally going to get an extended session Sunday morning with my dad.  Hopefully I can report back with a new PB.

Welp, sure as heck didn't get my new PB, and I also broke my Okuma EVX ?‍♂️.  However, I laid the smackdown on my dad lol and got to listen to a turkey gobble his freakin head off while watching this beautiful sunrise.  Outcaught pops something like 15-2.  I was smashing them on the PopMax before I broke my rod.  I did that by catching my oar on the back swing of a cast.  Man, that was sad.  Switched to a wacky worm after and really stacked them up.  Then a caught a few more on a buzzbait once the sun got up.  Maiden voyage of the "boat" went well though and I can't wait to do that some more and get my kids out with me.  Sure was funny feeling fish run under the boat.

 

image.jpeg.5f308b9c2f04f6081bdf5027a0cdd4d6.jpeg

 

image.thumb.jpeg.2ffaf8fe67e100a563f5da3c480687a1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.93fd76e346e7f0209175b6a3a880cd64.jpeg

 

image.thumb.jpeg.23bd72475abc7d29f4f0c64197d5bb48.jpeg

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Fishing with your pop and your dog? Man, you scored! Sorry I couldn't leave a reaction. I'm all out. 

 

What was it like fishing in that raft? Was it stiff enough to give you some support?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, hokiehunter373 said:

I was smashing them on the PopMax before I broke my rod.  I did that by catching my oar on the back swing of a cast.  Man, that was sad.

 

I broke my favorite baitcasting rod in a similar situation. I caught it near the tip with a squarebill I was casting with another rod. I was gutted.

 

Packed my gear up and left for the day. I was done.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ol'crickety said:

Fishing with your pop and your dog? Man, you scored! Sorry I couldn't leave a reaction. I'm all out. 

 

What was it like fishing in that raft? Was it stiff enough to give you some support?

Just my dad yesterday.  I want to get the dog in there eventually but right now I think he'd prefer to be swimming in the pond than stuck in the boat. 

 

With the two of us and all of our crap it was a tight squeeze.  I was comfy just sitting on the provided cushion for the first hour or so with my legs crossed in front of me but then I started to cramp.  Rearranged my legs every 10 mins or so and I was fine.  It was better than expected and I think if I was by myself I would be insanely comfortable sitting in the back of the boat with the support from it to sit against and legs stretched out.  I will definitely be doing that before the summer is over.

 

There's one part of this pond that is impossible to get a lure to because of tree cover and it's too dense to walk into the trees from land so this is the only way to do it.  Fish were definitely stacked in there yesterday.  I have dreams of a 10 pounder laying in the sticks back there and one day I'm throwing the anchor down and fishing it til I prove myself correct.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
15 minutes ago, hokiehunter373 said:

I think if I was by myself I would be insanely comfortable sitting in the back of the boat with the support from it to sit against and legs stretched out.  I will definitely be doing that before the summer is over.

 

Let us know how that goes. As I grow older and older, I think more and more about a lighter boat and especially a boat I could wear on my back when bushwhacking woods to reach a pond. I've been looking an Origami Kayak that weighs 18 pounds. Strong bass can already turn my canoe. I think they'd take the Origami Kayak for a spin. 

 

19 minutes ago, hokiehunter373 said:

There's one part of this pond that is impossible to get a lure to because of tree cover and it's too dense to walk into the trees from land so this is the only way to do it.  Fish were definitely stacked in there yesterday. 

 

Gosh, ^this^ sounds exciting.  I love cracking those tight spots. 

 

Do you own the pond? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ol'crickety said:

 

So true. This is why I love my bump board. #bumpboarddon'tlie

 

The bump board also cradles the fish. They feel cozy in it and rarely flip out. A quick dunk in the water first, a trick I learned from the YouTuber, Old Lady Angler, and it also protects their slime coat. 

That’s a good idea, also I use a scale to weigh them to be as accurate as it is. I don’t really care how big they are, as long as I am catching fish I am happy. I still like the fight from the big ones. Although the little ones are real scrappers sometimes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ol'crickety said:

 

Gorgeous fish! You and I had pretty much the same day yesterday, as I caught a 6.5-lber. and a likely 5-lber. You just caught yours in the southwest and I caught mine in the northeast. It's great to see you smiling so wide!

Thank you Sir! We done good!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
45 minutes ago, Jmurphy87 said:

Although the little ones are real scrappers sometimes.

 

Heck, yeah, they are! I think of 16.5" bass as teenagers. Remember the energy and recklessness you had as a teen? Well, they have that. Those 16.5-inchers are some of my favorite bass to catch. I've had many of them turn my canoe and they often fool me when they near the canoe and run under it and I think they're 18-or-19-inchers based upon their pulling power. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ol'crickety said:

 

Let us know how that goes. As I grow older and older, I think more and more about a lighter boat and especially a boat I could wear on my back when bushwhacking woods to reach a pond. I've been looking an Origami Kayak that weighs 18 pounds. Strong bass can already turn my canoe. I think they'd take the Origami Kayak for a spin. 

 

 

Gosh, ^this^ sounds exciting.  I love cracking those tight spots. 

 

Do you own the pond? 

This one has to be 25-30 pounds and I don't see it being easy to fold up and carry around but it's perfect for a spot where you can just get it out of the truck and blow her up relatively quickly.  Little 2 pounders were still moving the boat around with ease.  Heck, I could use my spinner bait as a make shift trolling motor if I reeled it right lol

 

I don't own the pond but I've fished it here and there for about 25 years.  One of my dads friends farm pond.  There's some pigs in it but they've been super hard to come by lately

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.