Latest Catch Pics Thread

Master Bait'r

• Super User
3 hours ago, throttleplate said:

read on the innerweb that there is a mucus by the spine you need to avoid along with having to cut out the red parts of the meat as it has a bad taste.

Fillet them, and just zipper the bones along the lateral line out like anything else. They're delicious. Don't worry about trimming out the red meat. I like 'em better than crappie myself.

• Like 4

• Super User

They're okay. Lots of people eat 'em. My faves are brookies, yellow perch, and walleye. 

• Like 2

• Super User

Fished a new lake today for largemouth and caught mostly Smallmouth. Lol

Water temp 68*

Largemouth were caught on Jackall flickShake GP candy.

Smallmouth were caught on 1/8 Shakyhead/Zoom speed craw.PXL_20230606_164750923.thumb.jpg.24d939c50bea81fe74eb571becdccb09.jpg

• Like 26

@T-Billy Wife fileted them at the river last night. We asked another guy fishing there if they were good eating and he googled it and thats how we found out about the red meat areas tasting quite fishy. Will eat them tonight.

• Like 2

• Super User
1 minute ago, throttleplate said:

@T-Billy Wife fileted them at the river last night. We asked another guy fishing there if they were good eating and he googled it and thats how we found out about the red meat areas tasting quite fishy. Will eat them tonight.

I always heard that too, and threw away a lot of good meat over the years. Last summer I tried frying a few without trimming all the red out, and it made no difference in taste.

• Like 3

• Global Moderator

@Bird, nice smallie

@throttleplate, it all depends on how long you freeze em and who you are feeding them to. Cut the red out if you are having a lot of people over or if they are being frozen for over a month or two. My wife also doesn’t like the red part, she calls it the grey meat (turns that color when you cook it)

my brothers in laws would slap me for cutting out that delicious fish flavor. 

some people want to eat fish that taste like chicken, some people like the taste of fish 

• Like 5

• Super User
26 minutes ago, TnRiver46 said:

some people like the taste of fish

Not sure I would call fried fish dipped in tarter sauce as having the "taste of fish" anymore.  At that point it doesn't really matter what you're eating because all your tasting is the batter/breading and the sauce.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Global Moderator
12 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Not sure I would call fried fish dipped in tartar sauce as having the "taste of fish" anymore.  At that point it doesn't really matter what you're eating because all your tasting is the batter/breading and the sauce.

Same rules apply grilled baked or fried 

• Like 1

• Super User

Got the opportunity to hit a small lake I usually only get to a time or two each year. Light breeze and hazy/cloudy skies from the Canadian wildfires was a welcome respite from the hot sun we’ve been getting. Managed to pick off 40 bass in a couple hours fishing just soft plastics again today. Lots of smaller fish in the mix, but I did get one around 4 lbs. and a couple other decent fish to go with him. Hoping for one more trip there later this week if scheduling allows. Always enjoy going to somewhere different as a change of pace, as each lake is different with its own personality. 

IMG_7190.jpeg.68da2a2414b7ad5564a3b0e2cb032fe3.jpeg

IMG_7177.jpeg.4987cb20ec9d2d0519d7e7e321f6ec5e.jpeg

IMG_7187.jpeg.9f8ae8cb0625a14cb078a9de4213238d.jpeg

• Like 23

• Super User
3 minutes ago, keagbassr said:

Got out today about 7-12 ,caught 5, 4 on a frog and 1 on a buzzbait that weighed 4-1.

20230606_073736.jpg

Nice dark fish.

• Like 3

Got out for a few hours tonight and got 8 of them. Two pictured were on a 6" Trace swimbait and a Wacky rig. The rest were caught on a Siebert arky jig with a paca chunk trailer.

Screenshot_20230606_210424_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230606_210443_Gallery.jpg

• Like 17

6 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

some people want to eat fish that taste like chicken, some people like the taste of fish 

Well we ate it tonite along with the walleye. Wife cut out the red parts, it tasted fine. It actually tasted like a largemouth which we dont eat anymore. Compared to the walleye the white bass has firmer texture while the walleye is more fluffy like.

• Like 4

Got out today about 7-2, boated 33 bass, 2 on a frog ,16 on spinnerbaits and 15 on a buzzbait with 3 nice ones all on the buzzbait weighing 3-15, 3-8 and 3-3.

20230607_081046.jpg

20230607_082618.jpg

20230607_110751.jpg

• Like 24

• Super User

Fun afternoon of fishing. First location I checked, the bass spooked the minute you dropped a lure near them, but was able to finagle 5 bites. Next location was better, catching over a dozen on a jig and soft plastic. Then right at dusk, under a hazy fire smoked sky and orange sun, I played around with a big swimbait just to see what would happen. Surprised me when i caught a bass on my first cast with it. Landed 3 others, but missed half a dozen bites when they’d bump it or were probably too small to engulf the bait. Was a good learning experience and certainly showed some potential. Just need to dial in the right  presentation and conditions further.

IMG_7208.jpeg.f23ad1f92659cde2bfa225824c6bfca9.jpeg

IMG_7204.jpeg.0649f68f4195ea4a751cbf877be78152.jpeg

IMG_7230.jpeg.0f774e9af0e0ef52ab1950936952c110.jpeg

IMG_7227.jpeg.12f5c0d781a689cf9684a6d4cfd3f0b8.jpeg

IMG_7228.jpeg.94ad0acfe0373c1896fd74ee300192b6.jpeg

• Like 23

• Global Moderator

Went out in the rain after work, my buddy got a decent one in the first couple minutes with a $2 wal mart jerkbait. He also got a lot of skipjack on it. Water temp got down to 63 before dark IMG-0807.jpg

• Like 25

1 hour ago, TnRiver46 said:

Went out in the rain after work, my buddy got a decent one in the first couple minutes with a $2 wal mart jerkbait. He also got a lot of skipjack on it. Water temp got down to 63 before dark IMG-0807.jpg

Rain, eh? Remind me what's that like again lol.  Nice smallie!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ol'crickety said:

Way to fish, @Team9nine! And 40 on your prior outing too. Buy. a. lottery. ticket. NOW.

He's gonna keep making posts like that until I camp out on his front porch like a Shaolin initiate waiting for admission to the temple. Teach me, sifu.

• Haha 5

• Global Moderator
20 minutes ago, galyonj said:

He's gonna keep making posts like that until I camp out on his front porch like a Shaolin initiate waiting for admission to the temple. Teach me, sifu.

“I’ve got more of those $2 jerkbaits if you want one” -Bobby 

• Haha 3

• Super User
17 hours ago, keagbassr said:

Got out today about 7-2, boated 33 bass, 2 on a frog ,16 on spinnerbaits and 15 on a buzzbait with 3 nice ones all on the buzzbait weighing 3-15, 3-8 and 3-3.

20230607_081046.jpg

20230607_082618.jpg

20230607_110751.jpg

I love quantity + quality days. LOVE 'EM! Well fished!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ol'crickety said:

Way to fish, @Team9nine! And 40 on your prior outing too. Buy. a. lottery. ticket. NOW.

Just another day fishing for @Team9nine ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1