Bass Turd

Carolina Rig a jerk bait?

Has anyone had experience rigging any kind of hard bait (jerk bait or crank bait) on a Carolina Rig? Share any tips please.

I've read that it can be effective.  I've never tried it -- I guess I feared that I'd get have line fouled in a hook every time and not know it until retrieved.

I tried this many many years ago, with a perch patterned rapala jerkbait. did it work? yeah,.. after i took the first hook off and could actually fish it, and ground down the bill a bit so it wasnt constantly catching bottom. but it didnt produce like I thought it would so i scraped it

• Like 1

I tried it too - quite a while back - didn't produce like I thought it would for me either.

Ended up going with the little talked about but effective Rapala CountDown bait. (sinking version)

http://www.rapala.com/rapala/lures/countdown-lures/countdownandreg/CountDown.html?dwvar_CountDown_color=Bleeding%20Copper%20Flash

Sinking at a consistent rate of one foot per second, the CountDown allows an angler to easily target specific depths repeatedly. Whether the fish are suspended, at the weed tops or holding on bottom structure, this bait can get you to them consistently without sacrificing cast ability or fish attracting action.  As a weighted balsa lure with the slow-rolling Rapala action, it casts pretty good (CD09 & CD11).  I do change out the hooks though.

A-Jay

3 hours ago, Bass Turd said:

Has anyone had experience rigging any kind of hard bait (jerk bait or crank bait) on a Carolina Rig? Share any tips please.

I caught my very first bass ever 37 years ago by C-rigging an Original Rapala Floating Minnow size 7 black & silver.

The ver first thing I learned given the visibility conditions ( the water was so muddy you could literally plow it ) was that: bass don´t need to see the bait in order to bite it. 

I did it one time with a floating  Bomber Long A Minnow and caught a couple of fish    I 'll probably do it again some day.

Yes in the summer. I throw a one ounce steel sinker with around a 3' leader and a floating Rapala.

How I fish it is basically the same sweeping hook set I use for a normal C-rig then let it sit for about ten seconds and do it again. Sometimes there is a fish when you set it, most the time there isn't. 

Someone else posted a Count Down, but they can take awhile to sink in a summer or winter scenario when they are in 30'+ water. 

It's not some magic technique. It's just a technique. 

Thanks everyone. I read about it somewhere but couldn't find any information. I appreciate all the reply's.

Not quite a carolina rig, but...

I've caught some good smallies in deep water on Erie by drifting with a floating jerkbait behind a walleye-style bottom bouncer.  It's a clunky rig and lazy fishing but it works.  Best on windy days to cover lots of water and provide action (and when you're tired of breaking off tube jigs to snags).

bb_1.jpg