Mike son

Is it common for spinnerbaits to get bent up easily?

I haven't fished spinnerbaits much until this year, would usually throw a chatterbait instead when I wanted some vibration and flash. I found that after every fish the wire arm of the spinnerbait is bent out of shape and I need to bend it back. Is this something that happens often or does it happen with cheap spinnerbaits? The spinnerbaits I own are made by Strike King.

• Like 1

It happens more with cheap spinnerbaits.

Some of the ones Strike king makes don't use very good wire.

I use mostly booyah and terminator.

It will be fine just keep bending it back, just don't try to use to much force to bend it back are try to bend it to far or it will snap.

Titanium wire is the best wire to use on a spinnerbait, try to find you some with that and it shouldn't bend as often.

My favorite spinnerbaits or the ones they sell at Wal-Mart that come three to a pack with some trailers I forget who they are made by but they work great just don't last long wire breaks kind of easy.

image.jpg.4fc344b7ec1e689bc38cd6d747350e9d.jpg

• Like 4

Terminator spinner baits won't get bent out of shape but the wire can break.

• Like 1

I have a few titanium spinnerbaits and they seem to last longer as far not getting bent. Any other spinnerbaits seems to get bent when enough fish are caught on it.

I throw Booyah spinnerbaits and they hold up really well. 

• Like 2

How well a spinnerbait resists bending depends on the wire used to form the frame.

Fat wire will resist bending, but it also tends to dampen the throb of the blade.

For this reason Stanley uses tapered wire, and other brands use thin titanium wire.

Titanium wire has virtually 100% memory, but over time the thin wire cam crystallize & break.

Roger

35 minutes ago, Dtrombly said:

I throw Booyah spinnerbaits and they hold up really well. 

Same here - really like them and have had no issues. 

I'm a spinnerbait fan.  I like & fish them often. 

There are so many brands, makes & models of spinnerbaits.

Over the years I've tried many; including the titanium wire jobs.

Two things I've come to believe; most all of them will catch fish at one point or another and after catching some number of decent fish with one, it's going to fail.   That's just the way it is. 

So I've simply decided that this is the cost of doing business and no longer 'look for durability'.

Instead, fish catching, drives my bait choice.  The tricky part is knowing when to retire a bait BEFORE it fails in the Face of a Behemoth Bass.

Admittedly it's painful cutting off (and retiring) a bait that's still getting bit; but not nearly as gut wrenching as having a wire snap off in Old Big Head's face which I worked a season or two or six to catch. 

So, I'll did-assemble it, saving the blades, hardware & shirt (if decent) for use elsewhere.  

If you've fished around pike - you already know how very short  of a life span spinnerbaits can have as they are just brutal on them and rip them shreds.

btw - check out the Biovex Stangun - nice bait.  http://biovexusa.com/product/stangun-dw-12oz-11-bass/

:(

A-Jay

• Like 3

It depends, some spinner baits purposefully use lighter wire arms, which will tend to bend more. I also generally have my drag on the looser side when fishing spinnerbaits. The hook is open and the bait is moving and doesn't take much to get them. Even if the arm does get bent though they are usually easy to fix by just bending them back. Too much of that can weaken it and cause it to snap though. 

Yes in general cheaper ones get bent easier.  My favourite SB is from Booyah, but I also buy cheap ones when I am specifically targeting pike.  No matter which SB they seem to tear it up easy.  One other thing that helps SBs last longer, don't flip your fish or try to lift them out of the water, this stresses the wire.  I see this all the time, use your free hand or use the net...that's why it's in the boat. 

i mostly use the titanium terminators and never have an issue with the wire arm.  i also fish war eagles a pretty decent bit and don't have a ton of issues with them, but a mean spotted bass can make a mess of a spinnerbait from time to time.

The time re-tuning a spinnerbait is the decompression time I need after catching a good bass!

oe

On 6/11/2017 at 11:14 AM, A5BLASTER said:

It happens more with cheap spinnerbaits.

Not just cheap ones, I throw Jackall's Eruption and it does that too some times.