Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Any one ever had a rapala shadow rap spider crack? They were bought last season. Happened to 2 of them. Bills were terrible looking. Dont have a pic of it ended up tossing them. Just wondering if its a common problem? Liked them but dont want to waste more money. No other baits did it but those. Happened over winter some time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rapala baits are the most fragile baits I have ever used. I broke 2 Tuesday in fact. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had two DT6 baits break and i wasn't even abusing them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Log Catcher said:

I have had two DT6 baits break and i wasn't even abusing them.

 

2 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Rapala baits are the most fragile baits I have ever used. I broke 2 Tuesday in fact. 

These were completely fine in the fall. They sat in the box in the house maybe a month. Was fishing in Dec. The other day pulled them out and noticed it. Wast like it sat in the sun or any thing. Have absolutely no clue what caused it. 

Makes me not want to buy them though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, InFishingWeTrust said:

 

These were completely fine in the fall. They sat in the box in the house maybe a month. Was fishing in Dec. The other day pulled them out and noticed it. Wast like it sat in the sun or any thing. Have absolutely no clue what caused it. 

Makes me not want to buy them though. 

I don't buy them anymore but I will fish them when I find them. The 2 I broke were one I bought a long time ago, and a BX minnow I found in a tree. Both broke from hitting a rock during the retrieve. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think Rapala puts the same thing in them that senkos use, cause I go though them about the same....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, reason said:

i think Rapala puts the same thing in them that senkos use, cause I go though them about the same....

Lmao. Yeah some ****. I dont have that problem with their old school baits. Crack backs work great for smallies. Just them shadow raps .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few Rapalas with spidered bills but none have failed.  My old Rapalas are fine, one being 25+ YO.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont recall ever having a Rapala crankbait break but only use two models . The Fat Rap and Crankin Rap .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, InFishingWeTrust said:

Lmao. Yeah some ****. I dont have that problem with their old school baits. Crack backs work great for smallies. Just them shadow raps .

I wish the shadow rap shad thing didn't work so well, I think they call it the shadow rap cause you can break it if it hits a shadow. I literally broke a couple by hitting ( more like brushing) a branch the thickness of a q-tip with like 2 leaves on it, W T F  Rapala? The scary thing is that I get them for around $6 each, and even with going through 1 or 2 a trip, the per fish cost is about the same as some plastics, even so, something in the brain just says it ain't right, and those hooks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DogBone_384 said:

I have a few Rapalas with spidered bills but none have failed.  My old Rapalas are fine, one being 25+ YO.

Yeah its not that big of a deal. I just dont want to spend money on a low quality bait thats not going to last. Pretty sure they were close to if not $10.  Wasnt sure if it was random event or common with their baits. I have old crack backs and other rapalas in good condition still. Had for years. I was assuming its their newer baits thats doing it. 

3 minutes ago, reason said:

I wish the shadow rap shad thing didn't work so well, I think they call it the shadow rap cause you can break it if it hits a shadow. I literally broke a couple by hitting ( more like brushing) a branch the thickness of a q-tip with like 2 leaves on it, W T F  Rapala? The scary thing is that I get them for around $6 each, and even with going through 1 or 2 a trip, the per fish cost is about the same as some plastics, even so, something in the brain just says it ain't right, and those hooks!

Yeah thats them. I thought they were cliser to $10 though.  Im the guy just fills the cart and bites the bullet at the register. I dobt pay attention to prices. I do like the profile and all of the baits. Just expected them to last longer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, after using the Rapala brand for 40 years or more, I'm convinced it's still one of the most effective baits around. The jerkbaits are extremely effective. Have not experienced a significant (or any) failures.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Crestliner2008 said:

Well, after using the Rapala brand for 40 years or more, I'm convinced it's still one of the most effective baits around. The jerkbaits are extremely effective. Have not experienced a significant (or any) failures.

It's a first for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that's weird, I've never had an issue with Rapala. I love the Skitter Walk and Rippin Rap. Although, I haven't fished the one you're having issues with, so I'll take your word for it. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had two jerkbaits crack as well but it was a result of how hard a bass hit it :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RHuff said:

I've had two jerkbaits crack as well but it was a result of how hard a bass hit it :D

Cant complain about that

1 hour ago, Jigfishn10 said:

Wow, that's weird, I've never had an issue with Rapala. I love the Skitter Walk and Rippin Rap. Although, I haven't fished the one you're having issues with, so I'll take your word for it. :)

It was odd. Only thing I have seen similar is when solvent hits certain types of plastics. Which no solvents been near them. They would have been fishable still but I wasnt going to fish them. Could have been a bad batch or some thing. No clue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silver and Black shad rap 05 and 07 is one of my all time successful lures.  $6 bucks at walmart, they do ware down and hooks are just average, but I will keep buying them as long as they keep providing me with bass.  I also like Husky Jerks and Shadow rap jerk baits.  I own several DT series but have not had as much luck with those.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rapala baits flat out catch fish and work.

 

Yet I loathe them.

 

They break if you look at them funny, and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired......for example:

 

I had multiple x-raps that took on water, sunk, fell apart, had the weight transfer system get stuck...you name it, I had a problem with them. 

 

I also, in the same season, had multiple Strike King Red Eye Shads split at the seam, take on water, or have the rattles "stuck" on the inside............. yeah I know, bad luck from two batches of baits, at the same time. 

 

Here is how Strike King handled it: I sent them an email, the responded quickly, told me to return the baits directly to them for evaluation and replacement if they were found to be defective. Fair enough. I sent them in, less than two weeks later, I get a package from Strike King....all faulty baits were replaced IN PAIRS...yeah thats right, for every bum one I sent back, I got TWO new ones in return. Plus they threw in a hat, some misc baits, and other goodies. A+ and above an beyond in my book.

 

Compare that to how Rapala handled it: Same deal, sent them an email asking  how to proceed. They took weeks to get back to me, and then told me, I needed to send the baits back , WITH the original packaging, original store receipts from purchase, along with a form that needed to be filled out. I told them, "some of these baits were ordered online, some were received as gifts, some bought local. I don't save the packages, I open them put them in my tackle boxes, and but them in the boat. Same with the receipts...they are long gone. But I will gladly send you the faulty baits for inspection, and as proof that I am not trying to pull a fast one on you."....They basically told me to pound sand. I haven't bought a Rapala product since.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rapala shad rap and X-rap are two of my best producers  I catch fish on them all year round.  Never had an issue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ww2farmer said:

Rapala baits flat out catch fish and work.

 

Yet I loathe them.

 

They break if you look at them funny, and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired......for example:

 

I had multiple x-raps that took on water, sunk, fell apart, had the weight transfer system get stuck...you name it, I had a problem with them. 

 

I also, in the same season, had multiple Strike King Red Eye Shads split at the seam, take on water, or have the rattles "stuck" on the inside............. yeah I know, bad luck from two batches of baits, at the same time. 

 

Here is how Strike King handled it: I sent them an email, the responded quickly, told me to return the baits directly to them for evaluation and replacement if they were found to be defective. Fair enough. I sent them in, less than two weeks later, I get a package from Strike King....all faulty baits were replaced IN PAIRS...yeah thats right, for every bum one I sent back, I got TWO new ones in return. Plus they threw in a hat, some misc baits, and other goodies. A+ and above an beyond in my book.

 

Compare that to how Rapala handled it: Same deal, sent them an email asking  how to proceed. They took weeks to get back to me, and then told me, I needed to send the baits back , WITH the original packaging, original store receipts from purchase, along with a form that needed to be filled out. I told them, "some of these baits were ordered online, some were received as gifts, some bought local. I don't save the packages, I open them put them in my tackle boxes, and but them in the boat. Same with the receipts...they are long gone. But I will gladly send you the faulty baits for inspection, and as proof that I am not trying to pull a fast one on you."....They basically told me to pound sand. I haven't bought a Rapala product since.

Some ****

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ww2farmer said:

Here is how Strike King handled it: I sent them an email, the responded quickly, told me to return the baits directly to them for evaluation and replacement if they were found to be defective. Fair enough. I sent them in, less than two weeks later, I get a package from Strike King....all faulty baits were replaced IN PAIRS...yeah thats right, for every bum one I sent back, I got TWO new ones in return. Plus they threw in a hat, some misc baits, and other goodies. A+ and above an beyond in my book.

 

That's good to know.  I bought a couple red eye shads and when I opened one it looked like it exploded near the tail, literally popped open and I can see what looks like fiberglass inside.  I'm going to email them, because it's definitely nothing I could have done wrong...which is my specialty.

 

I've been throwing rapalas for a few decades and love them mostly the jointed swimming minnows.  Just picked up a Rippin Rap a different version of their lipless and it's so far my favorite lipless.  Probably the most aerodynamic lure I've thrown and the action is tight and different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall a thread shortly after they were released that someone had made in regards to the shadow rap cracking on the sides. I have a fished a few and as some others have said, they are very fragile. I had a decent sized chain pickerel really chomp one up last year. It was full of cracks along the sides but still usable. I'll keep fishing them until they are unusable. Doubtful if I will buy more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×