Jump to content
A-Jay

57 1/4-Inch Musky Is New All-Time Release Record For Lake St. Clair

Recommended Posts

safe_image.php?d=AQDkkwz8zOe-vc6a&w=476&h=249&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.muskyhunter.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F08%2FMusky1.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&sx=0&sy=7&sw=500&sh=262&_nc_eui2=AeFHk1cFQGg8fXocequ12IsdVff-q6ryqiGAH9ZNIXa3BYSXdkK--Kx9I5QiQOsIAzUvFMW2H3qxd0WRXw_eyCwmrNFqQ9KGUDP5Gx_2rHSrIg&_nc_hash=AQCg0tYBSfiHP66j

 

As he battled his musky, Captain Jason Quintano had no idea the fish he had hooked was as long as it turned out to be. “If I had, I probably would have had a heart attack,” he said. Once the musky was unhooked and he started picking it out of the net, “she just kept coming".

Read the rest of the story here ~ 

https://www.muskyhunter.com/archives/5693

 

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a GIANT!! Thanks for posting. Brian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes you wonder what she'll weigh in a couple months from now? Fish that size could really pack on some weight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! That's huge.  I would hate to be the one removing the hook with those teeth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to tie into one of those giant creatures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good grief, monster!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:love-093:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW .... Massive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2018 at 11:21 PM, A-Jay said:

safe_image.php?d=AQDkkwz8zOe-vc6a&w=476&h=249&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.muskyhunter.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F08%2FMusky1.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&sx=0&sy=7&sw=500&sh=262&_nc_eui2=AeFHk1cFQGg8fXocequ12IsdVff-q6ryqiGAH9ZNIXa3BYSXdkK--Kx9I5QiQOsIAzUvFMW2H3qxd0WRXw_eyCwmrNFqQ9KGUDP5Gx_2rHSrIg&_nc_hash=AQCg0tYBSfiHP66j

 

As he battled his musky, Captain Jason Quintano had no idea the fish he had hooked was as long as it turned out to be. “If I had, I probably would have had a heart attack,” he said. Once the musky was unhooked and he started picking it out of the net, “she just kept coming".

Read the rest of the story here ~ 

https://www.muskyhunter.com/archives/5693

 

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

I was looking back to try and find the leader material you posted a picture of the other day. Would you mind reposting the pic or name? 

 

Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fishingintheweeds said:

I was looking back to try and find the leader material you posted a picture of the other day. Would you mind reposting the pic or name? 

 

Thanks!

@Fishingintheweeds

 Sure ~ Right here 

595e8f3c9f78d_AFW100m.thumb.jpg.6c7e2c7fb3d36dc19e85b3fda6e610fe.jpg

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2018 at 9:57 PM, Fishingintheweeds said:

Perfect.

 

Thanks!

Will this sink most topwater lures? What kind of leader are you using for topwater, back to debatably "suitable" 20 lb, or more, mono? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very impressive muskie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently read in an Outdoor News Article that your odds of catching the next world record muskie are worse than winning the lottery and getting struck by lighting TWICE in one day.  St Clair might be a good place to start the hunt for big foot though.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2018 at 11:10 PM, Fishingintheweeds said:

Will this sink most topwater lures? What kind of leader are you using for topwater, back to debatably "suitable" 20 lb, or more, mono? 

It won't sink a musky sized topwater.  Very good leader material.

 

Take a look at Tiger Leader too.  Good stuff.

 

...and yeah, I'd debate 20# main line unless you like donating lures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Further North said:

It won't sink a musky sized topwater.  Very good leader material.

 

Take a look at Tiger Leader too.  Good stuff.

 

...and yeah, I'd debate 20# main line unless you like donating lures.

Ha, I saw claims of people using or suggesting mono or flourocarbon and anecdotal evidence of years of no "bite" offs, on other forums. I don't know anything about the people making these posts, or their experience or skill. So, ha,  I'm definitely skeptical...and no, I'm not very interested in starting a donation program. 

 

Thanks for the second recommendation 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Fishingintheweeds said:

Ha, I saw claims of people using or suggesting mono or flourocarbon and anecdotal evidence of years of no "bite" offs, on other forums. I don't know anything about the people making these posts, or their experience or skill. So, ha,  I'm definitely skeptical...and no, I'm not very interested in starting a donation program. 

 

Thanks for the second recommendation 👍

Happy to provide experience...I don't know that that I'm 100% right (I can always learn something) but I'd sure debate it...

 

To me, it's not so much the bite offs as the fact that with bigger lures, you're going to snap that line at some point...you get a backlash with 20# mono and a 3 ounce lure, and that lure will still be going up when it clears the lakeside trees.

 

...and sooner or later, you're gonna tangle with a fish that exceeds that rating by a considerable amount.  I don't want to be standing on deck pouting because a four footer broke me off when it hit my lure like a freight train right at the boat when I've only got 18" of line out...

 

I had to think about it a minute...and I don't think I know anyone chasing teeth using straight fluoro or mono anymore.  they mostly use 80# braid.  I mostly use 50#, but I don't throw big lures often...I do have 80# braid on my one dedicated musky rod...but I don't throw that thing more than a few times a year.  It's a complete PITA, not worth the hassle to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Further North said:

Happy to provide experience...I don't know that that I'm 100% right (I can always learn something) but I'd sure debate it...

 

To me, it's not so much the bite offs as the fact that with bigger lures, you're going to snap that line at some point...you get a backlash with 20# mono and a 3 ounce lure, and that lure will still be going up when it clears the lakeside trees.

 

...and sooner or later, you're gonna tangle with a fish that exceeds that rating by a considerable amount.  I don't want to be standing on deck pouting because a four footer broke me off when it hit my lure like a freight train right at the boat when I've only got 18" of line out...

 

I had to think about it a minute...and I don't think I know anyone chasing teeth using straight fluoro or mono anymore.  they mostly use 80# braid.  I mostly use 50#, but I don't throw big lures often...I do have 80# braid on my one dedicated musky rod...but I don't throw that thing more than a few times a year.  It's a complete PITA, not worth the hassle to me.

I was thinking leaders. I know people say in certain waters you can't do straight braid and I'm not saying I know more than them...but that's what I HAD been doing. The earlier part of the year I decided to tie on mono or flourocarbon leaders, for specific setups. My fishing situation is, I have a ton of water, lakes, rivers, pit lakes, all very close to my house...and some of these can be very different from the others. I also fish from the bank. Sometime around a couple months ago, I gave up on the leaders because I didn't do better and I didn't do worse. In fact, I've done even better since the end of August than maybe I waver have. Just straight braid. 

 

But that leads me to this...I was walking the deep side of a river and pitched a short cast through the trees. I had 40 or 50 lb braid on the setup. The chatterbait and worm that I'd put over the hook point were instantly snatched up by something very large. It was on for...5 seconds? And that was that. There are a lot of pike in this river and that was much larger than the 20-24 inchers (on braid) I'd caught before. 

 

So, IS THERE a braid that pike and musky guys will confidently use without a leader? My experience has been that they can slice right through it. Before that, that's what I'd always been told and seeing is believing. I guess I don't know about 80 lb because I've never needed anything over 50!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fishingintheweeds said:

So, IS THERE a braid that pike and musky guys will confidently use without a leader?

None that I'd trust.  However, I've caught plenty of northerns using plane mono type line, but that's usually with a moving bait.  Spinnerbaits offer some protection, being made out of wire.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2018 at 10:26 PM, Fishingintheweeds said:

So, IS THERE a braid that pike and musky guys will confidently use without a leader?

Nope.  Not his pike and musky guy anyway.

 

On 10/11/2018 at 10:26 PM, Fishingintheweeds said:

My experience has been that they can slice right through it. Before that, that's what I'd always been told and seeing is believing. I guess I don't know about 80 lb because I've never needed anything over 50!

Mine too, they will cut 50# and 80# just as fast.

 

I seldom fish bass water here without a leader, 'cuz odds are good I'm going to get a pike, most days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×