Okay I came across a forum talking about rod sensitivity. Stating that the reasons you want a sensitive rod is for bottom contact lures to know when you bait hits bottom. And to feel that bottom. Now it had me thinking about my rods sensitivity I use a kistler helium 3 as my jig and wirm rod now i don't have a problem detecting strikes and knowing when my bait gets hit but I can't feel when my bait hits bottom I usually look out for when my line has slack. And it would be so helpful to know when my jig hits bottom so I could hop it off the bottom more better. Just curious if any of you feel the same as me or do you have a great feel for what your baits doing 

Use your fingertips to feel the line

• Like 1

type of line has a lot to do with sensitivity also. 

as a general rule:

mono is the least sensitive

flourocarbon is usually better

braid is the most sensitive.

I have switched over to braid for most bottom contact lures. with a good rod you can feel every rock or tree the bait bumps.

I suggest not using your fingertips with most braided lines.  setting the hook on a big fish and having the drag slip, while the line is between your fingertips, is something you usually only do once.

Baitcaster: strip off line one foot at a time and let the lure sink; if line goes taught in a couple seconds, you're not there yet - strip off another foot and repeat. If line goes limp, you're at the bottom. I usually do this in freespool mode (thumb bar pressed) while keeping gentle thumb pressure on the spool, instead of pulling against the drag - thinking this won't wear out the drag system as fast.

Spinner: with bail open, lift the rod tip and let back down; if line stays taught you're not at the bottom. Repeat.

I use mono (not as sensitive as other line types) and when fishing 30-40 feet or so I have a hard time sensing the bottom so I use the above techniques a lot. Only thing I've found that helps is repeatedly popping the lure up and letting it sink again, and on the pop I can feel the resistance as the lure frees itself from the mud. For rocky bottoms, dragging the lure back towards me lets me feel the bottom, but then it often gets snagged.

2 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

Use your fingertips to feel the line

A rod's sensitivity is only as good as your sense of feel!

My worm/jig rod is a Shimano Crucial, my reel is a Shimano Calcutta spooled with 15# Big Game.

I can feel a 1/4 oz Texas Rig hit bottom in 15-18' of water...if it aint to windy.

• Like 1

Being able to feel a lure hit bottom ain't always easy, or even possible for that matter.  If you are fishing somewhere with a soft bottom mixed in with whatever else, the best way I know is to watch what your line and spool are doing.  

This is one of the reasons I like using yellow braid to a leader on both of my bottom contact rods.  It is impossible not to see.

I also try to keep my spool tension knob as loose as possible so the weight of the lure keeps it turning as it falls.  If the line twitches, or the spool stops early, I bring the line to semi slack and feel for a fish on the other end.

I am continually surprised by how much vibration braid transmits even when It's fairly slack.

Ya wanna learn how to "feel" better?

Night fish around the New Moon phase!

Removing your sense of sight will increase your sense of feel!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Catt said:

Ya wanna learn how to "feel" better?

Night fish around the New Moon phase!

Removing your sense of sight will increase your sense of feel!

The ultimate teacher ~ 

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 3