Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, I know most rods have hook keepers nowadays but I ended up with a new one that doesnt have one. I know you can buy a hook keeper, but I don't really wanna go that route, only if I really need to. Would putting it on the reel or on the foot of one of the guides be my best bet? Thanks guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah don’t put it on your guides. Just put it on your reel but I don’t see what the big deal is in ordering a pack of hook keepers for your rod I use them on some of my rods.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using these, and like them a lot better than the Fuji EZ keepers. The problem with the Fuji EZ keepers and similar knockoffs is that the swivel part is plastic and breaks easily, usually after 3-4 months of usage. These are pricey, but sturdy and the magnet gimmick is actually useful, it makes attaching the hook easier especially when you're on a moving boat or something. The hook is attracted to the magnet near the hole then it easily goes into the hook keeper hole.

 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DRJ5QTC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

81BVPlnIZ+L._SL1500_.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Burrows said:

Yeah don’t put it on your guides. Just put it on your reel but I don’t see what the big deal is in ordering a pack of hook keepers for your rod I use them on some of my rods.

There ain't no big deal, I just would hate to blow more money on fishing related gear I may not really need, even if it's only 5 or so dollars, that adds up lol. But knowing me, I probably will...

 

And if I did the guides, it would'nt be the actual guide, it would be the foot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally wouldn’t put it on the foot of the guide either but I got what your saying it is annoying to buy a rod then have to worry about spending 8 bucks on a keeper you would think the manufacturer would do that for us already. I guess they are trying to save 8 bucks to?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Burrows said:

I personally wouldn’t put it on the foot of the guide either but I got what your saying it is annoying to buy a rod then have to worry about spending 8 bucks on a keeper you would think the manufacturer would do that for us already. I guess they are trying to save 8 bucks to?

Yeah I think what this rod company said if they put a hook keeper on, it would mess up the blanks or something? lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a small paper clip, bend it open, then bend over the small loop, then tape the other portion to your rod where you want it with electricians tape.  It gives you a perfect loop in which to place a hook.  You can also bend the small loop further down if you just want to place a hook under the bend and not through the bend opening.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hook my lures on the reel on all my combos.i never have liked using hook keepers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drill a 1/4 inch hole through the trigger of your reel seat and hook your bait in there. That what lews uses as hook keepers now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bass pro sells these which I really like for rods that do not have keepers. I just roll them up from the back and stretch them over the trigger part on baitcasters or over the seat on spinning. In both cases I roll them till they sit just in front of the reel seat and the hook hole is turned down and to the side .  It never gets in the way and only costs $4.00 for 4 holders. They call them XPS Hook Holders.

 

Bass Pro Shops XPS Hook Holders

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

Bass pro sells these which I really like for rods that do not have keepers. I just roll them up from the back and stretch them over the trigger part on baitcasters or over the seat on spinning. In both cases I roll them till they sit just in front of the reel seat and the hook hole is turned down and to the side .  It never gets in the way and only costs $4.00 for 4 holders. They call them XPS Hook Holders.

 

Bass Pro Shops XPS Hook Holders

I have nearly identical from TW; Norman Hook Keepers.  They work quite well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

Bass pro sells these which I really like for rods that do not have keepers. I just roll them up from the back and stretch them over the trigger part on baitcasters or over the seat on spinning. In both cases I roll them till they sit just in front of the reel seat and the hook hole is turned down and to the side .  It never gets in the way and only costs $4.00 for 4 holders. They call them XPS Hook Holders.

 

Bass Pro Shops XPS Hook Holders

I like the look of that, will take a look! Thanks

 

For now I will just use the reel as a "hook keeper" for the time being, actually took it fishing yesterday to break the rod in and thats what I did. Thanks for everyones input!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at KastKing lure wraps, today's sharp hooks can damage your rod blanks. Tackle shows hand wraps out to advertise the products. 

Don't hang hooks on your reels or rod guides.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d never hook one on a guide foot and my reels are way to nice to scratch up with a hook point. 

 

The Fuji ez keepers, and others like it do work but the rubber O ring always ends up breaking after awhile. The one posted above attaches the same way and I would say it’ll do it also.

 

There’s one offered by PROX and it is a zip tie hook keeper. I use them on all of my rods. I put a wrap of electrical tape around the area and then tighten down the zip tie. The tape just gives it something to bite into and stops it from slipping. 

8E9982CB-1C9E-4D15-93C3-C5A8C9F518AC.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i now wish none of my rods came with hook keepers.

 

ive only tried the fuji and probably only will as they work perfectly for me. they eliminate a problem i sometime have of line getting caught in a permanent hook keeper as i can close the fuji. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use fuji keepers on most all my rods, even ones that come with hook keepers.  I fish a lot of t-rigged plastics and hate having to pop the hook point out every time I want move from spot to spot, so I just snap the juji keeper shut over the line and crank the handle until the lure is semi-tight.  It holds very well but if the line does get snagged as I am hiking around it will pop free easily and not put any pressure on the rod tip.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Learn to wrap your line around the rod guides, hold the center on the snug line and spin the rod a couple of turns. No more snagging line or  getting tangled in a locker or on the deck. A Senko size O- ring held on the rod with 1/16 wide zip tie is cheap and works as a hook holder when needed.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a problem with using a guide frame , not the ring, the frame.  Those opposing this, what is your reason?  All a guide frame  is is a piece of "wire."  Like a keeper is a piece of "wire."  No guide is going to be distorted by the forces involved with doing this.  No ring is going to be scratched (although rings are most likely harder than hooks anyway).  Both are equally close to the blank, so the risk of scratching the blank is about the same for both.  I don't put keepers on my fly rod builds, just use the first guide frame.  Also keeps the leader loop out of the tiptop when wrapped around the reel.  Some keepers on cast and spin rods can get tangled in the line while fishing if not positioned properly, so sometimes less is more.  What's the problem?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MickD said:

I don't see a problem with using a guide frame , not the ring, the frame.  Those opposing this, what is your reason?  All a guide frame  is is a piece of "wire."  Like a keeper is a piece of "wire."  No guide is going to be distorted by the forces involved with doing this.  No ring is going to be scratched (although rings are most likely harder than hooks anyway).  Both are equally close to the blank, so the risk of scratching the blank is about the same for both.  I don't put keepers on my fly rod builds, just use the first guide frame.  Also keeps the leader loop out of the tiptop when wrapped around the reel.  Some keepers on cast and spin rods can get tangled in the line while fishing if not positioned properly, so sometimes less is more.  What's the problem?

Yep - On the few rods I have that don't have them, I usually either use the first guide frame or the reel, depending on the reel (some are much more amenable). Can't say I've ever had a problem either way. Come to think of it, on all my crappie outfits (spinning), I always pop the jighead's hook to the first guide (ring). No issues ever there, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only problem I have with that is I use rod socks on every rod and that is an invitation to problems with hooks in socks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1st spinning rod guide frame used as a hook holder isn't the issue. The issue is tempered hard very sharp hook barbs contacting the rod blank, the guide rigs and reel frame can cause severe damage do to vibration sawing notches into the softer materials. The barbs also cut adjacent line that is running through the giudes if the hook manages to contact the line bouncing around. Other than that no problem.

Tom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always used the frame of the stripping guide as my hook keepers. Not the guide ring, but the frame. Never had a problem with this.

 

Since I often carry multiple rods in one hand, either to and from car and boat, or when shore fishing, I've found that having the hooks so close to the fore-grip, with regular keepers, is asking for trouble; Both for tangles with other rods in hand, and for having those hooks so close to my hand. Plus, a bend in the rod tip and many regular keepers let the lure swing free. Some keepers also catch the line while I'm fishing, as do some line keepers on reel spools. I've been known to simply cut them off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×