Jump to content

Recommended Posts

For spinning reels I use the spooling tool by Piscifun. It also works with casting reels but not as well, particularly with 1/4 pound spools.  I find that the width of the spool and its proximity to the reel creates a problem where the line spends lengths of time pinned to one side of the reel’s line guides. So for baitcasters, I prefer to use an 11 year old child holding/tensioning the spool while I wind the line while the reel is on an actual rod. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two Berkley line spooling stations. One is in the original packaging and is portable. The other I have modified it to be attached to my work bench in my garage so I can spool my reels up at home. It's pretty handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually this guy for baitcasters, and the floor for spinning. Works just fine for me. 

8E5E741B-8EE6-4840-8480-327C3A052247.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also use the Berkley spooling station and have for the last 15 years and when used, I just clamp it to my work table.  Love it in addition to my Berkley line counter.  It handles jumbo (1000 yd spools nicely). Both take the guess work out of spooling line and allows me to record on the remaining new spool how much I have used. I have worn out three line counters over the last 15 years, but the spooling station is still great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Way north bass guy said:

Usually this guy for baitcasters, and the floor for spinning. Works just fine for me. 

8E5E741B-8EE6-4840-8480-327C3A052247.jpeg

And my wife to hold it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Happybeerbuzz said:

For spinning reels I use the spooling tool by Piscifun. It also works with casting reels but not as well, particularly with 1/4 pound spools.  I find that the width of the spool and its proximity to the reel creates a problem where the line spends lengths of time pinned to one side of the reel’s line guides. So for baitcasters, I prefer to use an 11 year old child holding/tensioning the spool while I wind the line while the reel is on an actual rod. 

I have the same device. I will have to keep a lookout for what you experienced. Thanks for the heads up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For baitcasters I sometimes use the pencil method but I have had the Berkeley line spooling station for many years and typically use it. For spinning I just throw the spool on the floor, put the spinning reel on the rod, and spool it up holding tension on the line with my fingers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a machine fead spooler (old Gander Mountain store pick up) and a Berkley line spooler.  Out of the two, I like the Berkley spooler better.  Easy to use, control, and set up and I don't have to worry about, well, a lot of things going wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GoneFishingLTN said:

Best line spooler tooL

what does everyone use to spool there line?

A small box with a holes on both sides for a pencil to slide through. Spool on the pencil with empty one on either side to center it. Run line through small hole in front of box to keep line from jumping. Tie onto spool, tension line, wind it up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Way north bass guy said:

Usually this guy for baitcasters, and the floor for spinning. Works just fine for me. 

8E5E741B-8EE6-4840-8480-327C3A052247.jpeg

for spinning, you're doing nothing but asking for trouble!

get one of these!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ecooda-Spooling-Station-System-Fishing-Line-Winder-Reel-Spooler-Machine/162957516470?hash=item25f1065eb6:g:lVoAAOSwQVpasmDP:rk:7:pf:0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PolarKraft195Pro said:

I used to just lay the spool on its side and watch for twist while filling the spinning reels. If twist would start occurring I would flip the spool for a couple turns.

On a wild hair I bought one of these spooling devices. Mine was a cheap piscifun off of amazon.

I will have to say they work great if setup correctly. I now get near zero twist on my spinning reels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These.  Very inexpensive on line.  I bought five and gave my buds one as a gift.  They love them. I love mine.

spool.JPG

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Columbia Craw said:

These.  Very inexpensive on line.  I bought five and gave my buds one as a gift.  They love them. I love mine.

spool.JPG

Product name?  Website link??  Come on, don't leave us hanging.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PolarKraft195Pro said:

Floor works great for me, if you make sure it’s going on the reel the same way it’s coming off the spool, there’s no issues. I use a lot of spinning outfits both with braid and straight fluoro and I never have issues with twisting. Since I already own the floor, seems like a waste of money to buy the spooler for me 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, J Francho said:

 

Thank you John.  That's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Way north bass guy said:

Floor works great for me, if you make sure it’s going on the reel the same way it’s coming off the spool, there’s no issues. I use a lot of spinning outfits both with braid and straight fluoro and I never have issues with twisting. Since I already own the floor, seems like a waste of money to buy the spooler for me 😁

wrong!

Making sure it goes onto the reel the same way it's coming off the spool would be 100% fine, "IF", your reel spool diameter is EXACTLY the same diameter/size as the line spool diameter/size. If they are not the same size, you are creating MEGA twist to come and haunt you later!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, J Francho said:

Is there a way to secure this thing to a work bench? Looks like the suction cup might not be easily modified by running a bolt through it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For bait casters, I use a 10" pole barn nail clamped in my bench vise, for spinning reels, I set the bulk spool on the floor so that the line comes off in the proper direction and wind it on under a little tension.

 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, onenutinthewater said:

Is there a way to secure this thing to a work bench? Looks like the suction cup might not be easily modified by running a bolt through it?

There are clamp on versions.  Keep searching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PolarKraft195Pro said:

wrong!

Making sure it goes onto the reel the same way it's coming off the spool would be 100% fine, "IF", your reel spool diameter is EXACTLY the same diameter/size as the line spool diameter/size. If they are not the same size, you are creating MEGA twist to come and haunt you later!

Listen man, whatever works for you that’s fine, but I’m telling you I’ve used multiple spinning rods and reels for many years now and I don’t have line twist issues! The only time I’ve had any twist right off the bat is with a cheap reel that doesn’t have a decent roller bearing. You go anhead and spend the extra money on a “fancy spooler” if you want, but my way works fine for me and I’m gonna stick to it. In a few months I’ll be getting ready for launching the boat and will have about 15 spinning outfits in my living room and several different spools of line ON THE FLOOR 😮, and like every year before that, it’ll work out great.  It to each their own. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Way north bass guy said:

Listen man, whatever works for you that’s fine, but I’m telling you I’ve used multiple spinning rods and reels for many years now and I don’t have line twist issues! The only time I’ve had any twist right off the bat is with a cheap reel that doesn’t have a decent roller bearing. You go anhead and spend the extra money on a “fancy spooler” if you want, but my way works fine for me and I’m gonna stick to it. In a few months I’ll be getting ready for launching the boat and will have about 15 spinning outfits in my living room and several different spools of line ON THE FLOOR 😮, and like every year before that, it’ll work out great.  It to each their own. 

Ditto the above, from another guy who loads spinning reels from off the floor, usually of the boat though and not the house. And if it's braid instead of nylon/fluoro, it just gets tossed to the ground to roll wherever it darn well pleases :lol:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×