Jump to content
KentuckyBlueBass

What copolymer line do you use?

Recommended Posts

What copolymer line do you guys use? I've used PowerPro braid and Trilene mono my whole life. Never got into FC as I don't want to deal with the memory and knot issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo Zuri Hybrid is very popular on here and for good reason. 

 

 

 

Mike

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo Zuri in 4# and 6# on spinning gear, and Yo Zuri in 10# and 12# on casting gear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo-Zuri isn't a copolymer line it's a hybrid FC jacketed over copolymer core co-extruded  line and the largest diameter per rated lb test on market.

Copolymer is a blend of 2 polymers like 2 different types of Nylon, Nylon and polyester or polyuerathane for example. Why this industry separates Nylon monofilament from fluorocarbon monofilament ( single filament ) is for marketing fluorocarnpbon line at higher price point. Copolymer is technically monofilament with exception of hybrids like Yo-Zuri co-extruded line.

The copolymer line I use is Maxima Ultra Green in 5 lb test. The high end Nylon mono line is Sunline Defier Armillo Nylon in 11 and 25 lb test.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a lot of confidence in McCoy clear and Mean Green. Very limp and easy to cast, with great abrasion resistance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WRB said:

Yo-Zuri isn't a copolymer line it's a hybrid FC jacketed over copolymer core co-extruded  line and the largest diameter per rated lb test on market.

Copolymer is a blend of 2 polymers like 2 different types of Nylon, Nylon and polyester or polyuerathane for example. Why this industry separates Nylon monofilament from fluorocarbon monofilament ( single filament ) is for marketing fluorocarnpbon line at higher price point. Copolymer is technically monofilament with exception of hybrids like Yo-Zuri co-extruded line.

The copolymer line I use is Maxima Ultra Green in 5 lb test. The high end Nylon mono line is Sunline Defier Armillo Nylon in 11 and 25 lb test.

Tom

In any case it says something that a lot of people consider it a universal copolymer line and is very popular.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge fan of P-line CX Premium.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCoy Xtra Clear, McCoy Mean Green, Sunline Shooter Defier & Yo-Zuri Hybrid if it qualifies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although it gets bashed alot for some reason , I've had great luck with P line fluoroclear

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo-Zuri Hybrid and P-Line Fluoroclear...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

p line cx or silver thread AN40.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WRB said:

Yo-Zuri isn't a copolymer line it's a hybrid FC jacketed over copolymer core co-extruded  line and the largest diameter per rated lb test on market.

Copolymer is a blend of 2 polymers like 2 different types of Nylon, Nylon and polyester or polyuerathane for example. Why this industry separates Nylon monofilament from fluorocarbon monofilament ( single filament ) is for marketing fluorocarnpbon line at higher price point. Copolymer is technically monofilament with exception of hybrids like Yo-Zuri co-extruded line.

The copolymer line I use is Maxima Ultra Green in 5 lb test. The high end Nylon mono line is Sunline Defier Armillo Nylon in 11 and 25 lb test.

Tom

I had never heard of copolymer until I joined this site.  Aren't most monofilaments out now really a copolymer?  Except maybe stren original?  Tackle warehouse classifies trilene as a copolymer even though we all think of it as a mono.  Seems to me that most on this site use copolymer to refer to the hybrid or fluoro coated nylon lines.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, KentuckyBlueBass said:

What copolymer line do you guys use? I've used PowerPro braid and Trilene mono my whole life. Never got into FC as I don't want to deal with the memory and knot issues.

 

I use Izorline XXX Super Co-Polymer Clear. Love the stuff. Great knot strength. Very little if any memory. I use it anywhere from 8lb for finesse to 20 for jigs and such. Excellent price as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most monos on the market are nylon.  There are different types of nylon. 

 

I think most of us consider that a copolymer line is a single filament line that is a mix of nylon and FC. And has characteristics of both but not exactly the same as either.  Sort of a compromise that is easier handling, higher density than nylon, and possibly less visible than nylon.

 Nylon is a plastic, a thermoplastic (meaning it can be melted in contrast to thermosets which don't melt) and it is a type of polymer.  Polymer is a chemical compound with long repeating chains blah blah blah. . .  There are many different kinds of plastics.  When you mix different kinds of thermoplastics you have a copolymer.  Like what we consider a copolymer line.

 

But as Tom says, ANY plastic that consists of a mix of plastics is a COPOLYMER.  It could be nylon, FC, polypropylene, polyethylene, or any other thermoplastic.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCoy xtra clear

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another for Yozuri hybrid

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yozuri hybrid 

pline cx,cxx, and floroclear

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MickD said:

I think most monos on the market are nylon.  There are different types of nylon. 

 

I think most of us consider that a copolymer line is a single filament line that is a mix of nylon and FC. And has characteristics of both but not exactly the same as either.  Sort of a compromise that is easier handling, higher density than nylon, and possibly less visible than nylon.

 Nylon is a plastic, a thermoplastic (meaning it can be melted in contrast to thermosets which don't melt) and it is a type of polymer.  Polymer is a chemical compound with long repeating chains blah blah blah. . .  There are many different kinds of plastics.  When you mix different kinds of thermoplastics you have a copolymer.  Like what we consider a copolymer line.

 

But as Tom says, ANY plastic that consists of a mix of plastics is a COPOLYMER.  It could be nylon, FC, polypropylene, polyethylene, or any other thermoplastic.

 

 

Thinking about this more and the terms copolymer and monofilament are not mutually exclusive.  Really most copolymer are a single filament as you said, meaning they are monos.  But not all monos are copoly

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pline CXX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo-Zuri Hybrid, P-Line CXX and Izorline

 

:fishing-026:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...