Jump to content

Recommended Posts

AS the title says, Phenix rods offer a lifetime warranty on their products. The small issue is they make you pay a small fee of 65.00+ depending on the rod. next you have to pay shipping to and from. I did a rough estimate all in for using the limited warranty for a new M1 and it looked like this.

 

warranty fee-65

 

shipping from NH to Cali- 40 ( I shipped a rod once to L.A to someone on this site last year)

 

Shipping back 40 (rough estimate.)

 

total is 145.00

 

saves 25.00 overall

 

to me this is a joke. 

 

I broke a Abu Garcia Vendetta flipping rod setting a hook and they sent me a new rod for $5 total. I understand the customer pays for shipping to the company but the shipping back and the larger fee then most companies is dumb IMO.

Phenix lost me as a customer and i hope they lose more due to that bogus warranty.

 

Does anybody have an experience with a company that has made them a loyal user or drop them all together due to its customer service or misrepresentation? 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would agree, if a warranty claim is valid, the customer should either pay nothing or be reimbursed the full cost of shipping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was this a warranty issue or a replacement program? Big difference. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry  @kroberts9 to hear about your experience. I have to say G. Loomis has a pretty good warranty. Powell Rods has a pretty interesting way of handling the warranty/shipping issue. 3 pics via email, the most difficult part for me was cutting the rod, damaged or not, in half. It just felt sacrilegious and I guess that’s what they were counting on. However getting the new rod was worth it. You think Phenix Rods might be willing to do something like that to help you out or even send you a prepaid shipping label. Wish you luck with getting your rod replaced.

4DF7AE38-4FC6-464B-B29A-441E3FEF8B68.jpeg

CAEE859E-B8FC-4E5F-85E6-C2D689E4E23B.jpeg

53F9BE46-EDF0-411F-9F52-03D2B192D26C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I hope so, I'm reaching out to them since i didn't get an email back yet to see. 

If they don't help out i will add a new top eye to it sell it dirt cheap since it only lost a small section.

 

@DVT- Phenix boosts a lifetime warranty not a replacement program from what i gathered from the website and the vendor i purchased the rod from.  The rod broke when a smallie hit my spy bait it used to load beautifully but it just snapped it under the second guide from the top so i assume this is a warranty issue, but the rod was almost three years old. Here is a link from their site maybe i missed something 

https://phenixrods.com/warranty-registration/

 

If They end up not helping me out I will add another Megabass rod to the lineup. i really like Orochi whipsnake to replace the M1 for my spy baits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, that's a replacement program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kroberts9 said:

AS the title says, Phenix rods offer a lifetime warranty on their products. The small issue is they make you pay a small fee of 65.00+ depending on the rod. next you have to pay shipping to and from. I did a rough estimate all in for using the limited warranty for a new M1 and it looked like this.

 

warranty fee-65

 

shipping from NH to Cali- 40 ( I shipped a rod once to L.A to someone on this site last year)

 

Shipping back 40 (rough estimate.)

 

total is 145.00

 

saves 25.00 overall

 

to me this is a joke. 

 

I broke a Abu Garcia Vendetta flipping rod setting a hook and they sent me a new rod for $5 total. I understand the customer pays for shipping to the company but the shipping back and the larger fee then most companies is dumb IMO.

Phenix lost me as a customer and i hope they lose more due to that bogus warranty.

 

Does anybody have an experience with a company that has made them a loyal user or drop them all together due to its customer service or misrepresentation? 

 

 

 

 

Say what you want but I’ve found St. Croix an Abu Garcia to take care of you quick and cheaply. I’ve not experienced many rod problem over many years of fishing but those two companies will hook you up. 

 

Probably BPS and Cabela’s would also. Not real sure but assume they would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The warranty will depend on whether it is a workmanship issue or a owner issue. Each supplier has their own cost breakdown for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this too I believe while reading through each rod vendor I could find.  Either them, or another one.  The fee and shipping basically gets you at a new rod cost (almost), but with the hassle of shipping and waiting longer.  People should definitely read the warranty for any rod they buy.

 

But whatever fee/shipping for replacement I saw was listed on their website, so it wasn't misrepresented.

 

Lastly, if you have a problem with a vendor, take the problem to them.  Be nice, explain your position and try to get them to see your side...and see what they can do.  Sometimes for a first time, they will try to make it right even if their corporate policy is more strict.  In this way, they can sometimes preserve their reputation, but you may not buy more products...but at least you won't feel cheated, and they get credit for doing right by you.

 

Warranty is tricky, and part of the cost of ownership.  My $200 MB Levante rod was replaced no questions first time.  I think it's that way within 3 years, but if I kept breaking it I would not be surprised if they said it was due to misuse...which would probably be true.  So without a doubt, megabass includes some percentage of customer warranty claims as part of the astronomical cost of their rods.  You pay for a warranty in many cases on high end rods, it's not all better materials and such (if it's even better materials at all!).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a rod breaks 3 years after you buy it that isn't the manufacturers fault. If they offer a lifetime warranty I guess that's on them but I would be embarrassed to send in a rod I'd been using for that long expecting a cheap replacement and I sure wouldn't bash the company on social media.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya, $25 isn't worth it. I'd move on also.

 

Begs an obvious question, which manufacturers have a reasonable warranty/replacement? I'm a budget fisherman, so buying budget rods. I'm not spending more than $80 on a rod, not going to be making any claims that involve shipping or that come close to what my junk cost to begin with.

 

But it would be nice to know what companies actually stick by their customers, when I do decide that I can spend more on quality equipment.

 

Maybe I'll start a post doing so, compile a list of companies, their policies and then other members could comment on whether the companies have been willing to stick to their agreements with their customers, us!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hewhospeaksmuchbull said:

Ya, $25 isn't worth it. I'd move on also.

 

Begs an obvious question, which manufacturers have a reasonable warranty/replacement? I'm a budget fisherman, so buying budget rods. I'm not spending more than $80 on a rod, not going to be making any claims that involve shipping or that come close to what my junk cost to begin with.

 

But it would be nice to know what companies actually stick by their customers, when I do decide that I can spend more on quality equipment.

 

Maybe I'll start a post doing so, compile a list of companies, their policies and then other members could comment on whether the companies have been willing to stick to their agreements with their customers, us!!

but but but but but how do you catch fish with $80 rods?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly why I fish cabelas and basspro rods. Yes they now only come with a 1 year warranty,  but I figure if it doesnt break the first year its solid and likely my fault if it breaks after. I'm too busy to be making trips to ship rods back, pay fees etc. Etc. I've owned Loomis and st croix along with several others. All fine products but I dont want the hassle should I break one. After reading the original post glad I never bought a Phenix.  I'd fix it, sell it cheap or give it away, and never buy another.  You'd think these companies would understand now days with social media and such, you cant treat customers like fools.  Too much competition out there.

If I break a rod I ride 15 minutes to cabelas and swap it out within the first year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jrob78 said:

If a rod breaks 3 years after you buy it that isn't the manufacturers fault. If they offer a lifetime warranty I guess that's on them but I would be embarrassed to send in a rod I'd been using for that long expecting a cheap replacement and I sure wouldn't bash the company on social media.

I am far from bashing the company in my post. My point still stands, the warranty is a joke. This is a replacement program from start not a lifetime warranty, limited lifetime warranty or even a 1 yr replacement warranty so it should not be stated as such.

 

All I wanted to do was bring to light the company used a very strong term "Lifetime Warranty" but in all actuality they offer a replacement plan which again is not warranty. The definition of warranty is a guarantee or promise to repair or replace a product at no cost to the consumer. 

 

I get you may be embarrassed to send it back after a extend period of time but i think this is what any company hopes for. 

 

I am not trying to upset you here just making a point. 

 
 
 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kroberts9 said:

I am far from bashing the company in my post. My point still stands, the warranty is a joke. This is a replacement program from start not a lifetime warranty, limited lifetime warranty or even a 1 yr replacement warranty so it should not be stated as such.

 

All I wanted to do was bring to light the company used a very strong term "Lifetime Warranty" but in all actuality they offer a replacement plan which again is not warranty. The definition of warranty is a guarantee or promise to repair or replace a product at no cost to the consumer. 

 

I get you may be embarrassed to send it back after a extend period of time but i think this is what any company hopes for. 

 

I am not trying to upset you here just making a point. 

 
 
 
 
 

You aren't upsetting me and I understand what you're saying but I think you have it wrong. Phenix's lifetime warranty isn't an unlimited warranty. It specifically says so in the link you posted. I'm sorry that you feel misled but the terms are pretty clear.

Quote

Shipping fee is required, regardless of the outcome of warranty.  This warranty does not cover any damage to this product that result from fire,  intentional breakage,  accident,  abuse,  misuse,  natural disaster,  repair,  or modification.

"Accident, abuse, misuse" is what caused your rod to break and what causes all rods that have been in use for 3 years to break. If there were some factory defect in your rod it wouldn't have taken 3 years to show itself. I'm not saying you intentionally did something to your rod but at some point something happened to the blank while in your possession. If rod companies had free replacement on every rod that broke they would go out of business. It would be like wrecking your car and expecting Ford to fix it for free.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mikeltee said:

but but but but but how do you catch fish with $80 rods?

Easy! I do what everybody else is doing, just cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2019 at 9:28 PM, kroberts9 said:

AS the title says, Phenix rods offer a lifetime warranty on their products. The small issue is they make you pay a small fee of 65.00+ depending on the rod. next you have to pay shipping to and from. I did a rough estimate all in for using the limited warranty for a new M1 and it looked like this.

 

warranty fee-65

 

shipping from NH to Cali- 40 ( I shipped a rod once to L.A to someone on this site last year)

 

Shipping back 40 (rough estimate.)

 

total is 145.00

 

saves 25.00 overall

 

to me this is a joke. 

 

I broke a Abu Garcia Vendetta flipping rod setting a hook and they sent me a new rod for $5 total. I understand the customer pays for shipping to the company but the shipping back and the larger fee then most companies is dumb IMO.

Phenix lost me as a customer and i hope they lose more due to that bogus warranty.

 

Does anybody have an experience with a company that has made them a loyal user or drop them all together due to its customer service or misrepresentation? 

 

 

 

 

If you want to save on shipping, set up a USPS click and ship account and print your own labels. I’ve found the price to usually end up in the $13-25 range depending on length and additional insurance purchased

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could start using Falcon rods.  I broke an original Expert.  100% my fault and I told them so.  The Experts were no longer being made.  Had to ship them the small section where the it gave the rod's ratings.  That and $80 got me a new $200 rod.  I felt that was more than fair considering the breakage had nothing to do with their rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Shimano_1 said:

Exactly why I fish cabelas and basspro rods. Yes they now only come with a 1 year warranty,  but I figure if it doesnt break the first year its solid and likely my fault if it breaks after. I'm too busy to be making trips to ship rods back, pay fees etc. Etc. I've owned Loomis and st croix along with several others. All fine products but I dont want the hassle should I break one. After reading the original post glad I never bought a Phenix.  I'd fix it, sell it cheap or give it away, and never buy another.  You'd think these companies would understand now days with social media and such, you cant treat customers like fools.  Too much competition out there.

If I break a rod I ride 15 minutes to cabelas and swap it out within the first year

I agree. Bass Pro Rods are awesome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife laughs at me because I have dropped so many companies due to stuff like this, even smaller inconveniences. Anything I buy now I go through Cabela's, I don't even bother spending my money anywhere else. I bought the Lowrance boat in a box bundle, I believe it was over 2000 dollars. After installing and testing, I realized I hated the units. I called Lowrance to see if I had a faulty unit, long story short, they would not take my exchange. So, I called Cabela's, after a couple of tiers of management I got a full refund. This was over 30 days of owning the units. Their customer service in my opinion is unmatched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 11:57 AM, Jrob78 said:

If a rod breaks 3 years after you buy it that isn't the manufacturers fault. If they offer a lifetime warranty I guess that's on them but I would be embarrassed to send in a rod I'd been using for that long expecting a cheap replacement and I sure wouldn't bash the company on social media.

 

Why not? Social media is very very powerful.

 

Rod & reel company's need to be held accountable for their products and implied warranties. 

12 minutes ago, Rip_lipz said:

My wife laughs at me because I have dropped so many companies due to stuff like this, even smaller inconveniences. Anything I buy now I go through Cabela's, I don't even bother spending my money anywhere else. I bought the Lowrance boat in a box bundle, I believe it was over 2000 dollars. After installing and testing, I realized I hated the units. I called Lowrance to see if I had a faulty unit, long story short, they would not take my exchange. So, I called Cabela's, after a couple of tiers of management I got a full refund. This was over 30 days of owning the units. Their customer service in my opinion is unmatched.

This year I have bought and used two Cabela's Prodigy Walleye rods. 2 piece spinning and they are quite good. I took them to Florida in May for inshore fishing and was impressed. I head down again in August..

 

They will be with me. (Along with my Avids, of course)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Alonerankin2 said:

This year I have bought and used two Cabela's Prodigy Walleye rods. 2 piece spinning and they are quite good. I took them to Florida in May for inshore fishing and was impressed. I head down again in August..

 

They will be with me. (Along with my Avids, of course)

They have a very good line of bass rods as well. if you ever in the market check them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alonerankin2 said:

 

Why not? Social media is very very powerful.

 

Rod & reel company's need to be held accountable for their products and implied warranties. 

Because the company hasn't done anything wrong. Their warranty guidelines are clearly laid out in the link OP posted and he doesn't have a valid warranty claim.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alonerankin2 said:

 

Why not? Social media is very very powerful.

 

Rod & reel company's need to be held accountable for their products and implied warranties. 

T

Because this issue is the OP and everybody else in this topic that things "lifetime warranty"= free lifetime replacement.  If you or the OP had taken 5 seconds to read over the warranty for Phenix, this would be a non issue. It says literally at the top of the page :

 

Shipping fee is required, regardless of the outcome of warranty.  This warranty does not cover any damage to this product that result from fire,  intentional breakage,  accident,  abuse,  misuse,  natural disaster,  repair,  or modification.

 

His rod is 3 years old and the bold out portion is what his issue falls under. Phenix did nothing wrong or misleading.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kroberts9 said:

The definition of warranty is a guarantee or promise to repair or replace a product at no cost to the consumer. 

Can you point that to me in the UCC code?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...