Jump to content

Old Town Sportsman 120 Autopilot. The Perfect One Man Bass Boat?


Go to solution Solved by Wprich,

Recommended Posts

Being fairly new here this is my first thread and anticipate it, over time, to be long one.

I’ve joined in on several other Kayak threads and decided to start one on my newly ordered 

2023 Old Town Sportsman 120 Autopilot ! The Perfect one man bass boat for me.

Let me say I am new to Kayaking, like brand new having never owned one and having only paddled a small creek model over 25 years ago. Having had most every type of fishing boat through the years I always felt the biggest ($$$$$$) was the way to go and never really even considered a Kayak. Until now.  
Moving on in years and a quadruple bypass behind me I wanted something light weight, comfortable, stable and safe with all the benefits of a bass boat in a smaller manageable package. Until coming to Bass Resource I didn’t realize the involvement and obsession in Kayaking by so many, and even those in my local area was an eye opener.

A big shout out to @Koz for inspiration and to @FishTank for leading me to a local outfitter and introduction to Jessica at Moving Waters Outfitters, a very knowledgeable young lady.

 

 I had recently posted about ordering an Old Town Sportsman 106 Powered By Minn Kota which I did order and believed it was going to be everything I could want in a Kayak. Today at MWO I was able to climb all over ‘22 floor models and was so impressed that I knew I had to move up to the 120AP from the 106MK. After very little deliberation, and the Wife’s approval and insistence I ordered a 2023 Old Town Sportsman 120 Autopilot in Ember (orange) and couldn’t be more excited. Only dilemma was the floor model on sale at MWO ( at an exceptional price)  was in competition with another outfitter carrying the same brand, which just so happens to be family.
After a quick phone call my nephew agreed to order me a 2023 model,,,,,,,,at an even better price.
I couldn’t refuse and promptly canceled the 106MK for the 120AP.

So with my apologies to Jessica, which she totally understood and agreed it was the right decision, we went by the shop and placed the order. Only downside, it won’t be here until after the first of the year :( 

 

So now the long wait begins but so does the accessories collection. At MWO this morning the darling Wife of 44 years bought me my first accessory , a spare prop blade kit.
 

Let me just say I am a gear junkie and have the bad habit of excess at times and very impatient so this could get ugly. Down the rabbit hole I go!

 

Thanks again for all the answers and inspiration from everyone. I’ll update this as the quest progresses.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Motoboss said:

Being fairly new here this is my first thread and anticipate it, over time, to be long one.

I’ve joined in on several other Kayak threads and decided to start one on my newly ordered 

2023 Old Town Sportsman 120 Autopilot ! The Perfect one man bass boat for me.

Let me say I am new to Kayaking, like brand new having never owned one and having only paddled a small creek model over 25 years ago. Having had most every type of fishing boat through the years I always felt the biggest ($$$$$$) was the way to go and never really even considered a Kayak. Until now.  
Moving on in years and a quadruple bypass behind me I wanted something light weight, comfortable, stable and safe with all the benefits of a bass boat in a smaller manageable package. Until coming to Bass Resource I didn’t realize the involvement and obsession in Kayaking by so many, and even those in my local area was an eye opener.

A big shout out to @Koz for inspiration and to @FishTank for leading me to a local outfitter and introduction to Jessica at Moving Waters Outfitters, a very knowledgeable young lady.

 

 I had recently posted about ordering an Old Town Sportsman 106 Powered By Minn Kota which I did order and believed it was going to be everything I could want in a Kayak. Today at MWO I was able to climb all over ‘22 floor models and was so impressed that I knew I had to move up to the 120AP from the 106MK. After very little deliberation, and the Wife’s approval and insistence I ordered a 2023 Old Town Sportsman 120 Autopilot in Ember (orange) and couldn’t be more excited. Only dilemma was the floor model on sale at MWO ( at an exceptional price)  was in competition with another outfitter carrying the same brand, which just so happens to be family.
After a quick phone call my nephew agreed to order me a 2023 model,,,,,,,,at an even better price.
I couldn’t refuse and promptly canceled the 106MK for the 120AP.

So with my apologies to Jessica, which she totally understood and agreed it was the right decision, we went by the shop and placed the order. Only downside, it won’t be here until after the first of the year :( 

 

So now the long wait begins but so does the accessories collection. At MWO this morning the darling Wife of 44 years bought me my first accessory , a spare prop blade kit.
 

Let me just say I am a gear junkie and have the bad habit of excess at times and very impatient so this could get ugly. Down the rabbit hole I go!

 

Thanks again for all the answers and inspiration from everyone. I’ll update this as the quest progresses.

 

 

Moto,

 

Congrats on the purchase.  I can't wait to see how you evolve your boat over time.  I've been fishing mine for 2 full seasons now (first trip last year had ice on 95% of the lake) and I've done a lot of little things to make it work for me.  I've about got it where I want it but I've always got an eye out for something to improve anything.

 

My first suggestion is to join the old town autopilot and old town sportsman Facebook groups.  Lots of knowledgeable guys on there who have had autopilots since they were launched.  Second suggestion is to just fish it first.  There are a couple things you need to get on the water like a PFD and battery.  You'll need to decide how you're hauling it (I'm going to guess a trailer given the quadruple bypass comment).  After that, would say start fishing it and decide what works for you.  Lots of options when it comes to adding fish finders or not (and size/capability), how to store rods (build ins, crates, racks, vertical, horizontal, etc), other storage and add-ons, etc.  Since you have time, look at other people's rigs on FB groups and see what you might like, but hold off buying too much to start.  Its easy to think you'll want something and then realized you based your decision on something that isn't quite right.

 

For me, I'm a stand up angler.  I sit to motor long distances, tie hooks, or land fish.  That's about it.  The boat is so stable that you can do that pretty well if you have any semblance of balance and mobility.  I fish and cast to and from any direction on the boat including casting out of the back (especially when spot locked and fishing downwind).  All of that means that for me, horizontal rod holders were a mandatory element from the start.  I started with a pair of Omega's tilted down and mounted on mighty mounts by the seat.  I quickly moved to a 4-rod holder from mariner sails.  I also learned that the mighty mount /omega by the seat works great for holding the handle of the net.  I wouldn't buy one for this purpose, but since I have it...

 

I also knew I wanted side imaging and I'm still using the first Humminbird I started with on the boat (Helix 7 G3 MSI).  How much you use a fish finder and what you use it for will determine what to go with.  Looking back, I grabbed the G3 because it was still mega imaging and they were clearing them out.  I wish I had gone with a M360 or MLive compatible one.  Had I done that, I think I'd have 360 by now.  As it is, I have to upgrade my head unit AND buy the 360 or MLive transducer.  If you fish like my dad, then a Humminbird Piranha would be plenty and you'd only use it half of the time and only to check the water temp.

 

I know you just got a new prop kit, but if you fish weedy lakes, the weedless wedge prop is a must have.  You lose about 0.4-0.5mph top speed, but you can chop through a lot of stuff that will stop you dead in the standard prop.  A ninja blade also keeps the prop clear of most things.  The front of the motor will still build up weeds, but the prop will keep spinning.

 

Lights are a whole 'nother ballgame.  There are some really high end light setups available.  I went DIY and Amazon cheap (and they have worked for almost two years now).  Just remember that you're a full boat, not just a kayak so all of the lighting rules apply if you're on the water after sunset.

 

Batteries- Lithium 100AH is the starting point.  The end point might be a little bigger or smaller depending on your budget and needs but given the weight capacities of these boats, I can't afford to have 100lb of capacity tied up in a battery.  If you are trailering then it might be okay for you, but I truck bed my boat and I could never lift it with a lead acid battery in place (I do with a lithium).  I have an 80 AH because I cheapened out.  They were also more expensive when I bought mine.  It works fine for up to 2500 acres and running around a bit which is about what this boat is designed for.  If you're covering more water trolling then you will need more battery and if you're fishing flowing water you might need more battery.  If you're fishing 500 acre lakes and fishing down the bank, then 80-100 will be enough.  A 250 acre lake that I fish might show me coming home with 90% charge since I start at the ramp and just keep making circles around the lake.

 

Keep us posted and if you have any questions just ask.

 

Rick

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Dude.  I can feel the excitement in your post.

 

my kayak changed me and my fishing profoundly.  and in  good ways.  I am making new friends, catching better fish, and oddly coming to grips with my burgeoning anxiety.    if I had to come up with some negatives, it might be I now own too much crap.  baits, rod/reels.  it is a bit much. :)

 

your rabbit hole.  slow your roll.  BUY a pfd first.  I actually brought my first kayak home and couldn't have my maiden voyage for two weeks because all the PFD's I wanted were sold out.  some supply chain situation I can't remember the cause about (sarcasm).  I jumped at the NRS Chinook, and now think I would have gone a different direction.  even tho you have propulsion figured out on your boat, IMHO, you need a paddle still.  and transport wheels.  

 

Life jacket, paddle, and transport wheels.  that would be my jumping off list.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Congrats.  I hope you enjoy it. 

 

When you start looking for accessories......If you read another post on here about my adventure of having to jump into the water, you will know a good life jacket is a must. The NRS Chinook I have saved my life. I can't recommend it enough. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
2 hours ago, FishTank said:

Congrats.  I hope you enjoy it. 

 

When you start looking for accessories......If you read another post on here about my adventure of having to jump into the water, you will know a good life jacket is a must. The NRS Chinook I have saved my life. I can't recommend it enough. 

yup.  I vote this guy as our resident PFD spokesperson.  ^^^^.

 

harrowing story from this one.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution

I have the same kayak just got it back in July and already it has changed my fishing.  It's my first vessel of any kind I had only been a bank angler until now so I've been able to take it to place on lakes I could not in the past and even fish some lakes that have 0 bank access.  
Accessories is a deep hole!!!  I was buying them way in advance and it costed me to waste some money buying things that didn't work for the Kayak so I would only get necessities in advance.  PFD, Paddle, correct cart, and maybe even the battery ahead of time and stop there.  It's a great kayak and I am sure you will enjoy it and I can't wait to see how you rig yours out.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
57 minutes ago, Wprich said:

I have the same kayak just got it back in July and already it has changed my fishing.  It's my first vessel of any kind I had only been a bank angler until now so I've been able to take it to place on lakes I could not in the past and even fish some lakes that have 0 bank access.  
Accessories is a deep hole!!!  I was buying them way in advance and it costed me to waste some money buying things that didn't work for the Kayak so I would only get necessities in advance.  PFD, Paddle, correct cart, and maybe even the battery ahead of time and stop there.  It's a great kayak and I am sure you will enjoy it and I can't wait to see how you rig yours out.

 

solid point about the battery!!  I forget it doesn't come with one.

 

I am so tempted to "Buy my wife an Autopilot 120".   ahem..I think she will LOVE it.  I like the 24V - 50 aHr battery option.  my feeble EE education tells me it is the same is the 12V - 100aHr version(?).  sorry, I got a "C"in that class.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the positive replies, much appreciated. Having owned several powered boats I have all the fishing gear I could ever use and plan on limited Kayak purchases first.

 

My “want” list of first planned purchases;

-Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

(I have read your post @FishTank)

-Bending Branches Paddle

-Wilderness System Cart

-Rebel or Dakota 100 AH LifePo4 Lithium Battery 

@FryDog62 the seat risers are a strong consideration as highly necessary at 6’ 3”.

 

These are the “essentials “ I will buy first then, just fish.
These items will get me on the water safely and slowly (hopefully :) ) I can compile other items as I see the need.

 

@Darth-Baiter  and @Wprich thanks for the “slow my roll” comments because that’s exactly what I need to do until I figure out the type of fishing I’ll do most often.

Thanks @casts_by_fly for the rod holder heads up.

 

I plan on truck bedding the Kayak locally and have a ARE topper with Yakima racks for longer trips and while pulling the Casita camper on travel trips.

As I said it won’t be here until Spring so I’ll be asking for Kayaking education from you folks here. I am not on any social media apps but the Facebook Autopilot group may force me to join as locally it is pretty big.


Thanks again

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
4 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

Thanks for all the positive replies, much appreciated. Having owned several powered boats I have all the fishing gear I could ever use and plan on limited Kayak purchases first.

 

My “want” list of first planned purchases;

-Stohlquist Fisherman PFD (I have read your post @FishTank)

-Bending Branches Paddle

-Wilderness System Cart

-Rebel or Dakota 100 AH LifePo4 Lithium Battery 

@FryDog62 the seat risers are a strong consideration as highly necessary at 6’ 3”.

 

These are the “essentials “ I will buy first then, just fish.
These items will get me on the water safely and slowly (hopefully :) ) I can compile other items as I see the need.

 

@Darth-Baiter  and @Wprich thanks for the “slow my roll” comments because that’s exactly what I need to do until I figure out the type of fishing I’ll do most often.

Thanks @casts_by_fly for the rod holder heads up.

 

I plan on truck bedding the Kayak locally and have a ARE topper with Yakima racks for longer trips and while pulling the Casita camper on travel trips.

As I said it won’t be here until Spring so I’ll be asking for Kayaking education from you folks here. 
Thanks again

 

oh!!  I do the same thing.  truck bed transport.  also with an ARE topper.  I can close the glass lid with my kayak.  suggestion:  not mandatory by any means, but I bought a Bed-Extender.  I opted for the Boondox version that is curved so I dont hook any hard edges on any steep approaches or departures with my truck.  WHY?   it isn't for the kayak stability in the back.  it helps, but my kayak is on the cusp of not even needed the bed extender.  so why use it?  it saves my back.  imagine the move of picking up one end of the kayak and putting it on your tailgate.  you have to lift the load in front of you, turn at the waist to face the tailgate and extend your arms to put the kayak on the gate.  WAAY to much twisting for my back.  with the bed extender, I lift the kayak in front of me in a curling motion and the load held very close to my body, not cantilevered out (safe).  then I side step while holding the kayak in the same position and step between my tailgate and bed extender.  ZERO back twisting.  then lower the load with my knees until the kayak touches the bed extender cross bar.  I havent hurt myself yet!!  at the end of a big fishing day is when I will hurt my back.  I just know it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Darth-Baiter said:

………I bought a Bed-Extender.  I opted for the Boondox version …….so why use it?  it saves my back. 


This is on the “options” list as well. Unfortunately I have a Decked drawer system in the bed and it’s an additional 11” tall. I’ll probably have to weld one up to fit but it’s a consideration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

 

If you're anything like me, you'll be excites when you first get it but also find yourself not liking a few things the first time or two on the water. My advice is don't sweat it. Try moving your gear and equipment around to different places and you'll find something that works for you.

 

Have fun!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Motoboss said:

Thanks for all the positive replies, much appreciated. Having owned several powered boats I have all the fishing gear I could ever use and plan on limited Kayak purchases first.

 

My “want” list of first planned purchases;

-Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

(I have read your post @FishTank)

-Bending Branches Paddle

-Wilderness System Cart

-Rebel or Dakota 100 AH LifePo4 Lithium Battery 

@FryDog62 the seat risers are a strong consideration as highly necessary at 6’ 3”.

 

These are the “essentials “ I will buy first then, just fish.
These items will get me on the water safely and slowly (hopefully :) ) I can compile other items as I see the need.

 

@Darth-Baiter  and @Wprich thanks for the “slow my roll” comments because that’s exactly what I need to do until I figure out the type of fishing I’ll do most often.

Thanks @casts_by_fly for the rod holder heads up.

 

I plan on truck bedding the Kayak locally and have a ARE topper with Yakima racks for longer trips and while pulling the Casita camper on travel trips.

As I said it won’t be here until Spring so I’ll be asking for Kayaking education from you folks here. I am not on any social media apps but the Facebook Autopilot group may force me to join as locally it is pretty big.


Thanks again

 

A cheaper option from the wilderness is this cart I got off Amazon it was around $120 when I got mine.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09KYFV958?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

 

And a battery worth looking at are the Ionics.  I have the 12V 100AH and also a 20AH for my fish finder.  I regularly fish a 350 acre lake since I bought the kayak and I have spent 6-8 hours out on it each time so far covering alot of water and also cruising banks and spot locking a bit.  The lowest my 100A battery has gotten to is 71% after a trip, usually I'm in the 80% range when done.  I went out 3 times in a row without having to charge it recently.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Darth-Baiter said:

solid point about the battery!!  I forget it doesn't come with one.

 

I am so tempted to "Buy my wife an Autopilot 120".   ahem..I think she will LOVE it.  I like the 24V - 50 aHr battery option.  my feeble EE education tells me it is the same is the 12V - 100aHr version(?).  sorry, I got a "C"in that class.  


you can’t run a 24v battery in the autopilot. It is 12v only. A 100 Ah 12v is a perfect choice. 

 

 

3 hours ago, Motoboss said:

Thanks for all the positive replies, much appreciated. Having owned several powered boats I have all the fishing gear I could ever use and plan on limited Kayak purchases first.

 

My “want” list of first planned purchases;

-Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

(I have read your post @FishTank)

-Bending Branches Paddle

-Wilderness System Cart

-Rebel or Dakota 100 AH LifePo4 Lithium Battery 

@FryDog62 the seat risers are a strong consideration as highly necessary at 6’ 3”.

 

These are the “essentials “ I will buy first then, just fish.
These items will get me on the water safely and slowly (hopefully :) ) I can compile other items as I see the need.

 

@Darth-Baiter  and @Wprich thanks for the “slow my roll” comments because that’s exactly what I need to do until I figure out the type of fishing I’ll do most often.

Thanks @casts_by_fly for the rod holder heads up.

 

I plan on truck bedding the Kayak locally and have a ARE topper with Yakima racks for longer trips and while pulling the Casita camper on travel trips.

As I said it won’t be here until Spring so I’ll be asking for Kayaking education from you folks here. I am not on any social media apps but the Facebook Autopilot group may force me to join as locally it is pretty big.


Thanks again

 


 

i also truck bed mine.  I have a hard bed cover but not a topper. I can completely shut the cover (I only have to flip open the back two thirds also to load and unload) which is nice because I can leave my net and the occasional 3600 box in the rear well while I drive. I also only added a bed extender this summer. It doesn’t support the boat at all, but it allows you to lift the end of the boat part way up and straight, rather than all the way to bed height and twist to put it on the tailgate. For $50 it was worth it.  Not sure what you mean about the Yakima racks but if you mean putting it on top of the truck topper then you better think twice unless you have a crane. 
 

i didn’t have a cart until this year and I’ve only used it twice this year. Most of my lakes I can back down a ramp or very near to the water on grass.  If that’s the case for you, then you might not need a cart. The wilderness systems cart is the Cadillac but there is also the Malone TRX which is what I got as a Christmas gift. For all the more I use it it’s plenty. It’s rated to 250 lb.  The ap weighs 150 as it comes from the factory. Throw in another 25 for the lithium battery. Add in your tackle, rods, and gear and you’ll be around 200 lb unless you travel really light. You don’t want to break the cart a half mile from the truck.

 

Amped is another battery option to consider. Last I checked they were a bit cheaper than both of your options but had the same performance and warranty. The built in Bluetooth in the rebel would avoid a separate meter. 
 

for the paddle, just make sure you get one long enough. It’s a wide boat and you need a long paddle. You’re not going to use it hardly at all so don’t spend a lot of money on it. I got the Carlisle magic angler with the ruler on the side because that’s what the shop had and recommended. I have no complaints but of course I only use it every now and then. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, casts_by_fly said:

 I also only added a bed extender.

Not sure what you mean about the Yakima racks but if you mean putting it on top of the truck topper then you better think twice unless you have a crane. 
 


A tailgate extender is a consideration.

Yes putting the Kayak on the Yakima crossbars on top of my ARE topper is the plan. I spent 35+ years loading 24, 32 and 40 foot ladders on top of a truck or van and don’t foresee the AP as an issue. Plus it would only be used when traveling  long distances, otherwise it’s going in the bed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
38 minutes ago, casts_by_fly said:


you can’t run a 24v battery in the autopilot. It is 12v only. A 100 Ah 12v is a perfect choice. 

 

 


 

i also truck bed mine.  I have a hard bed cover but not a topper. I can completely shut the cover (I only have to flip open the back two thirds also to load and unload) which is nice because I can leave my net and the occasional 3600 box in the rear well while I drive. I also only added a bed extender this summer. It doesn’t support the boat at all, but it allows you to lift the end of the boat part way up and straight, rather than all the way to bed height and twist to put it on the tailgate. For $50 it was worth it.  Not sure what you mean about the Yakima racks but if you mean putting it on top of the truck topper then you better think twice unless you have a crane. 
 

i didn’t have a cart until this year and I’ve only used it twice this year. Most of my lakes I can back down a ramp or very near to the water on grass.  If that’s the case for you, then you might not need a cart. The wilderness systems cart is the Cadillac but there is also the Malone TRX which is what I got as a Christmas gift. For all the more I use it it’s plenty. It’s rated to 250 lb.  The ap weighs 150 as it comes from the factory. Throw in another 25 for the lithium battery. Add in your tackle, rods, and gear and you’ll be around 200 lb unless you travel really light. You don’t want to break the cart a half mile from the truck.

 

Amped is another battery option to consider. Last I checked they were a bit cheaper than both of your options but had the same performance and warranty. The built in Bluetooth in the rebel would avoid a separate meter. 
 

for the paddle, just make sure you get one long enough. It’s a wide boat and you need a long paddle. You’re not going to use it hardly at all so don’t spend a lot of money on it. I got the Carlisle magic angler with the ruler on the side because that’s what the shop had and recommended. I have no complaints but of course I only use it every now and then. 

opps.  sorry for the bad battery advice.  I have been looking at the Newport Vessels motor for mine and that is the battery.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Motoboss said:


A tailgate extender is a consideration.

Yes putting the Kayak on the Yakima crossbars on top of my ARE topper is the plan. I spent 35+ years loading 24, 32 and 40 foot ladders on top of a truck or van and don’t foresee the AP as an issue. Plus it would only be used when traveling  long distances, otherwise it’s going in the bed.


i would suggest having a backup plan in mind just in case. There are one or two guys on the Facebook group that have done it, but far more will tell you that car topping, let alone topper topping, is a fools errand. The boat is heavy and also awkward. Because of its width it wants to twist as you lift. There isn’t a good place to grab on it. I have a 32’ ladder and used to handle a 40’ heavy duty. They are truly nothing in weight when compared to this boat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator

Congrats on your purchase! I have an Old Town Sportsman 120PDL and love fishing out of it. 

 

I put mine in the bed of my Tundra. I would not want to cartop it. Not that it's extremely heavy, but there aren't many handholds and it's very awkward to try to do much other than set it in the bed of my truck. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess that “car topping” is what your comfortable with. I see no problem for myself. I have actually tested this with a 136 and had absolutely no issues loading by myself. It’s all about leverage, set-up and method. With an extra pair of hands it becomes even easier.

 

Whatever works for each individual  👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Motoboss said:

I guess that “car topping” is what your comfortable with. I see no problem for myself. I have actually tested this with a 136 and had absolutely no issues loading by myself. It’s all about leverage, set-up and method. With an extra pair of hands it becomes even easier.

 

Whatever works for each individual  👍

 

If you can manage a 136 up on top of a truck topper by yourself then you are a better man than I.  I'd love to see how you do it once you have it.  Maybe I can learn something for getting it into the truck bed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Darth-Baiter said:

oh!!  I do the same thing.  truck bed transport.  also with an ARE topper.  I can close the glass lid with my kayak.  suggestion:  not mandatory by any means, but I bought a Bed-Extender.  I opted for the Boondox version that is curved so I dont hook any hard edges on any steep approaches or departures with my truck.  WHY?   it isn't for the kayak stability in the back.  it helps, but my kayak is on the cusp of not even needed the bed extender.  so why use it?  it saves my back.  imagine the move of picking up one end of the kayak and putting it on your tailgate.  you have to lift the load in front of you, turn at the waist to face the tailgate and extend your arms to put the kayak on the gate.  WAAY to much twisting for my back.  with the bed extender, I lift the kayak in front of me in a curling motion and the load held very close to my body, not cantilevered out (safe).  then I side step while holding the kayak in the same position and step between my tailgate and bed extender.  ZERO back twisting.  then lower the load with my knees until the kayak touches the bed extender cross bar.  I havent hurt myself yet!!  at the end of a big fishing day is when I will hurt my back.  I just know it. 

Nice description of your loading technique! Can you upload a video of your loading technique as a PSA for us middle age guys who load kayaks improperly and hurt themselves? 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, casts_by_fly said:

 

If you can manage a 136 up on top of a truck topper by yourself then you are a better man than I.  I'd love to see how you do it once you have it.  Maybe I can learn something for getting it into the truck bed.

90+% of the time I plan on putting it in the truck bed. Only when traveling with the Camper will I have to but it on top of the topper. I will make a video when I have possession.
The hard part is putting the fiberglass topper back on my truck!
It takes 4 grown men or a forklift.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

90+% of the time I plan on putting it in the truck bed. Only when traveling with the Camper will I have to but it on top of the topper. I will make a video when I have possession.
The hard part is putting the fiberglass topper back on my truck!
It takes 4 grown men or a forklift.


you’re loading the topper on the truck first, then adding the boat, right?it’s been a while since I lifted a fiberglass topper onto a truck but we used to do it with two of us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, casts_by_fly said:


you’re loading the topper on the truck first, then adding the boat, right?it’s been a while since I lifted a fiberglass topper onto a truck but we used to do it with two of us. 

My ARE Revo is solid fiberglass at about 225 pounds and being so large it takes someone on every corner to get it set right on the truck without rolling the seal. The Wife and I, with the help of the neighbor kid, slid it off but it’ll take more effort to get it back on properly.
And the Wife said “no way” :) !!

 

 

49DA9E9E-88B8-44E0-8CC7-CAC6021FFFCB.jpeg
 

Anyway, you can see the Yakima bars where the 120AP will reside while camping.


 

 

 

3B69B09D-1CA9-408C-8057-400AB51D2286.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Little update 

 

Trying to refrain from a spend-a-thon I have started to acquire the essentials.

Purchased:

Stohlquist Fisherman PFD (on sale!)

Bending Branches Angler Drift Paddle @270cm

 

Yet to obtain:

Kayak Cart

LifePo4 Battery (waiting until solid Kayak delivery date)

 

As so aptly pointed out these 4 items will get me on the water immediately and safely.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


  • fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...