Jump to content
A-Jay

A-Jay's Inaugural Ice Out / Open Water Countdown Thread ~

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, MIbassyaker said:

 

Looks like you're all set -- guy in the middle has all the equipment you need.

We were well prepared .

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scaleface said:

We were well prepared .

I'll bet you saw bigfoot after finishing that. :xmasicon_wink:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 12poundbass said:

This winter is going to be a tough one for me. As you know I bought a boat so late in the season I couldn't even launch it, I did fire it up and hear her run just before winterizing it. So she is inside hibernating. 

 

As you may or may not know we sold our house this fall and we were on the hunt for a house. As if buying at boat just in time to put her to bed for 5 months wasn't bad enough, I doubled down and we are in the process of buying a house on a lake. A private lake at that, with no speed boats or jet skies! I'm very familiar with this lake having briefly lived on it years ago, pretty quiet as far as traffic and fishing goes. 

 

Soooooo hopefully the winter goes by quick, which it should considering well be closing on it this week or next, then moving for the second time in two months, then getting settled in to the new house. 

 

I'm shooting for the last week in March for ice out here. Fingers crossed!

Sweet! And congratulations!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be open water fishin here in MA all winter, unless we get a deep cold. Last year it was COOLLDDD in mid late December, very frigid. By late January early February I was open water fishing.  Some years open water all year, some years its frozen till March. Some year frozen for 2 weeks then open back up for the rest of winter. I live on the coast so the temperatures fluctuate a lot.  But 1 hour north or west its locked solid, 20min south its open water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unfortunately regardless of when ice goes i have to wait until june 22nd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im going with March 22 in Chicago 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scarborough817 said:

unfortunately regardless of when ice goes i have to wait until june 22nd

I'm glad Michigan implemented catch and release all year. Up until a few years ago it was the third Saturday in April. It has probably only bought us a couple weeks to a month extra buy I'm still glad they changed it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My entire life, I never thought about you poor Northerners having your fishing holes completely frozen over.  My heart goes out to you, and I promise to continue fishing whenever I can.  Someone has to enjoy fishing year-round.  Someone has to set hooks in December.  Someone has to get bass thumb in January. 

 

Someone has to get out the house and enjoy the wonderful conditions without bugs, sweat, and absolute peace on the water.  It makes me sick thinking about it.

 

I guess I'm going to make the sacrifice and continue fishing.  I wish I could enjoy the great indoors like you guys, but I'll deal with fishing this winter for you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 12poundbass said:

I'm glad Michigan implemented catch and release all year. Up until a few years ago it was the third Saturday in April. It has probably only bought us a couple weeks to a month extra buy I'm still glad they changed it.

Minnesota's a little more restrictive. Bass through the ice is legal until Feb 24 when the season closes, then from May 11-May 24 it'll be catch-&-release only until the full season opens again on the 25th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 12poundbass said:

I'm glad Michigan implemented catch and release all year. Up until a few years ago it was the third Saturday in April. It has probably only bought us a couple weeks to a month extra buy I'm still glad they changed it.

the girlfriend and i are thinking about moving if we can get through the visa process

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scarborough817 said:

the girlfriend and i are thinking about moving if we can get through the visa process

To Michigan, If so anywhere in particular?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 12poundbass said:

I'm glad Michigan implemented catch and release all year. Up until a few years ago it was the third Saturday in April. It has probably only bought us a couple weeks to a month extra buy I'm still glad they changed it.

Me Too ! 

:ok-wink:

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 12poundbass said:

To Michigan, If so anywhere in particular?

we were thinking about albama, somewhere we don't have to deal with winter all the time 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Scarborough817 said:

we were thinking about albama, somewhere we don't have to deal with winter all the time 

Keep in mind it's easier to stay warm than it is to stay cool. Winters wear on my too (Michigan has I believe the second worst winters in the country) but that d**n humidity gets to me more than the cold or snow. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ice out for central NH is usually around tax day, but I really stuck fishing in 45 degree water.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, Hook2Jaw said:

My entire life, I never thought about you poor Northerners having your fishing holes completely frozen over.  My heart goes out to you, and I promise to continue fishing whenever I can.  Someone has to enjoy fishing year-round.  Someone has to set hooks in December.  Someone has to get bass thumb in January. 

 

Someone has to get out the house and enjoy the wonderful conditions without bugs, sweat, and absolute peace on the water.  It makes me sick thinking about it.

 

I guess I'm going to make the sacrifice and continue fishing.  I wish I could enjoy the great indoors like you guys, but I'll deal with fishing this winter for you.

Words could not possible express just how grateful us poor Northerners are regarding your unbridled generosity & self-sacrifice just for us.  What a guy.  

In return I feel it's only fair that I offer you a small token of my appreciation.

Here you go - no more side ways profile pic

 

 

 

It's the least I can do.

:smiley:

A-Jay 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tennessee Smallie fishing any good in Jan/Feb? Being an Illinois guy it's not too far a trip to make a weekend out of it, if it will be any good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

Here you go - no more side ways profile pic

 H2J.jpg.34d1df868159c7045a4164adfef88a65.jpg

 

It's the least I can do.

:smiley:

A-Jay 

 

 

I have no words.  I tip my cap to you, sir.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 12poundbass said:

Keep in mind it's easier to stay warm than it is to stay cool. Winters wear on my too (Michigan has I believe the second worst winters in the country) but that d**n humidity gets to me more than the cold or snow. 

That's what keeps me in the north. I can only deal with the heat, humidity and bugs for so long.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, NYWayfarer said:

That's what keeps me in the north. I can only deal with the heat, humidity and bugs for so long.

I actually worked a winter, outside in Connecticut.  Barring the worst days, I considered the dry cold much more bearable than the humid cold I experience here in Georgia.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Glaucus said:

Tennessee Smallie fishing any good in Jan/Feb? Being an Illinois guy it's not too far a trip to make a weekend out of it, if it will be any good. 

Best time of year 

3 hours ago, NYWayfarer said:

That's what keeps me in the north. I can only deal with the heat, humidity and bugs for so long.

I thought the mosquito was the official mayor of north country 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TnRiver46 said:

I thought the mosquito was the official mayor of north country 

State bird 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TnRiver46 said:

Best time of year 

I thought the mosquito was the official mayor of north country 

 

3 minutes ago, Arcs&sparks said:

State bird 

Yours too? It's our State Bird as well. What is it about 'Northern Tier' states? Is it something Canada is sending us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JustALineWetter said:

 

Yours too? It's our State Bird as well. What is it about 'Northern Tier' states? Is it something Canada is sending us?

I figured it wasn’t just our state that shares the joke lol.  “State(s) bird”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luckily, for me, the power plant lakes here open the first full week of March. That doesn't mean that I'll be on the water that week, but I will be before April 1st.  My home lake has some open water that's accessible from shore by mid-April, so I'm going to shoot for the 12th.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...