Spoons1

Kastking products comparison

Hey guys,

Looking to buy a cheap reel for frogging since I don't do it that much in a year. Was looking at the pflueger monarchs and trions and black maxxs, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the kastking stuff(in the 40$range) compares to these other cheaper reels from other companies. 

I've been using a KastKing Assassin for frogs . Its a 60 dollar reel but I got it for 45 . It has worked flawlessly but sounds a little funny . I dont know if the sound is normal for the reel or not but it doesnt impact the performance . Its kind of   a hissing sound .

• Like 1

I have a Abu Garcia black max and I tell you they are nice reels. Lost a black max combo out of the boat went back a week later and used a big magnet and hooks and got it back. Still works like new till this day. 

1 hour ago, Spoons1 said:

Hey guys,

Looking to buy a cheap reel for frogging since I don't do it that much in a year. Was looking at the pflueger monarchs and trions and black maxxs, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the kastking stuff(in the 40$range) compares to these other cheaper reels from other companies. 

We (my son and I) have totally switched from Abu to Kastking. Have 2 of the Spartacus Plus, 3 assassins, one Alaskan spinning reel I absolutely love, but they discontinued it, Speed demon (its on sale right now I think on Amazon for 45 or it was) have 2 of those. But I just bought the second speed demon in left hand just for frogging and love the lefty so much Im now switching to all left handed baitcasters and giving my son the righty versions. I would shop around on amazon because they have constant sales on there and if you go to their website and sign up there you will get coupons for 10-25% off stuff and reels on Amazon. They are the seller on Amazon as well and their customer service has been top notch. Plus they are based in New York and make most of their mono and braid there. Now the abu's we switched from were the older 45/5500 series and one of each the revo rocket baitcaster and spinning reels. The revo rocket baitcaster has been temperamental for cleaning where the Kastkings have not yet. We are going on our second summer with them and no issues at all. Now when you get one, clean and relube. But the rocket bc was right at 300$ and you can buy a slew of reels for that price, and good rods lol. Good luck 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Southernfried said:

We (my son and I) have totally switched from Abu to Kastking. Have 2 of the Spartacus Plus, 3 assassins, one Alaskan spinning reel I absolutely love, but they discontinued it, Speed demon (its on sale right now I think on Amazon for 45 or it was) have 2 of those. But I just bought the second speed demon in left hand just for frogging and love the lefty so much Im now switching to all left handed baitcasters and giving my son the righty versions. I would shop around on amazon because they have constant sales on there and if you go to their website and sign up there you will get coupons for 10-25% off stuff and reels on Amazon. They are the seller on Amazon as well and their customer service has been top notch. Plus they are based in New York and make most of their mono and braid there. Now the abu's we switched from were the older 45/5500 series and one of each the revo rocket baitcaster and spinning reels. The revo rocket baitcaster has been temperamental for cleaning where the Kastkings have not yet. We are going on our second summer with them and no issues at all. Now when you get one, clean and relube. But the rocket bc was right at 300$ and you can buy a slew of reels for that price, and good rods lol. Good luck 

I have 8 different KK reels, I really like the Assassin bait caster and the Sharky lll for spinning have a 1000,2000,300. Also have a Speed Demon on a Dobyns FR735C.

Tackle Advisor has some videos on Kast King vs other reels

3 hours ago, scaleface said:

I've been using a KastKing Assassin for frogs . Its a 60 dollar reel but I got it for 45 . It has worked flawlessly but sounds a little funny . I dont know if the sound is normal for the reel or not but it doesnt impact the performance . Its kind of   a hissing sound .

Oil the brass stuff inside the side plate

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, fvogel67 said:

Tackle Advisor has some videos on Kast King vs other reels

Kast King fans won't like his videos much. Nor will Favorite brand fans. That dude knows so much about how the reels are manufactured. His video where he takes kast king and Favorite reels and switches the parts between them is very illuminating. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, waymont said:

Kast King fans won't like his videos much. Nor will Favorite brand fans. That dude knows so much about how the reels are manufactured. His video where he takes kast king and Favorite reels and switches the parts between them is very illuminating. 

Yea I left that part out,Plus one of the moderators here isn’t a big Tackle Advisor fan.

I had one of my posts deleted after mentioning him

Kast King in my opinion is the twin brother of the Googan Squad garbage made in the same factories to slightly different specs.

In fact this has been proven by the Tackle Advisor who made a Frankenstein reel by combining parts of these inferior reels.

The only way the pimping of this garbage will end is when Kast King ceases to be a sponsor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, waymont said:

Ive seen the videos and they are interesting and I like his videos, I watch everything I can on the net about fishing equipment. I even took my revo rocket baitcaster apart to see if any of those parts "fit" lol after watching them. Even though I couldnt figure that out, how to put parts into another reel, what I did find, most of the same parts were made from the same material or to my untrained eye they seemed like it. It seems a majority of the reels made today are made in China, Taiwan, Japan, Philippines etc. The only reels I have I know that are made here are my old Penns. Once I realized that, I made the switch. Im also not pimping anything for anyone, just my observations. To each their own. Have fun and fish.  I thought with Brent Chapman using them this year on the MLF might quell some of the ill feelings toward KK, apparently not. But it is just another version of Ford vs Chevy hahahahaha most of them arent made here either. My bud at work just paid cash for a brand new Chevy 4x4, made in Mexico. So to each his own. Spend your money how ever ya wish. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Southernfried said:

Ive seen the videos and they are interesting and I like his videos, I watch everything I can on the net about fishing equipment. I even took my revo rocket baitcaster apart to see if any of those parts "fit" lol after watching them. Even though I couldnt figure that out, how to put parts into another reel, what I did find, most of the same parts were made from the same material or to my untrained eye they seemed like it. It seems a majority of the reels made today are made in China, Taiwan, Japan, Philippines etc. The only reels I have I know that are made here are my old Penns. Once I realized that, I made the switch. Im also not pimping anything for anyone, just my observations. To each their own. Have fun and fish.  I thought with Brent Chapman using them this year on the MLF might quell some of the ill feelings toward KK, apparently not. But it is just another version of Ford vs Chevy hahahahaha most of them arent made here either. My bud at work just paid cash for a brand new Chevy 4x4, made in Mexico. So to each his own. Spend your money how ever ya wish. 

I don’t care what rods and reels other people use,If your into Kast King and you like the product that’s great.

I use all kinds of rods and reels,From Gander Mountain Vortex rods to St Croix Legend Elites.My reels range from the Abu RZT to Stradics and Curados

I have personally handled and fished with borrowed Kast King reels and was not impressed.

Just my opinion

Japanese,korean, and Malaysia  are .way diff quality then chinese. tawian ..its a night and day diff  

• Like 1

Frogging is a great technique for the budget minded fisherman. Its a visual bite so there is not much advantage to having a $600 rod compared to an Ugly Stick Elite for $40. If its thick get a Heavy. If its not get a MH. You want a fast tip to walk the dog. Any reel you buy will last you a season. Who cares if it makes noise. Just try not to drop it or get it wet and you should be ok. The cheap BC are much harder to tune and you may not get the casting distance that a $150 reel offers, but this is fishing... not a casting competition. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 10:21 PM, fvogel67 said:

Yea I left that part out,Plus one of the moderators here isn’t a big Tackle Advisor fan.

I had one of my posts deleted after mentioning him

Kast King in my opinion is the twin brother of the Googan Squad garbage made in the same factories to slightly different specs.

In fact this has been proven by the Tackle Advisor who made a Frankenstein reel by combining parts of these inferior reels.

The only way the pimping of this garbage will end is when Kast King ceases to be a sponsor.

It's kinda funny how people make threads bashing favorite while simultaneously praising KK. I wouldn't touch either one with a 10 foot pole, but that's just me.

• Like 2

Take a look at the Diawa Fuego CT.  It's a little more than you want to spend but it's a really solid inexpensive reel with an aluminum frame. $75 at Walmart and Amazon.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 6:35 PM, waymont said:

His video where he takes kast king and Favorite reels and switches the parts between them is very illuminating. 

That's hilarious!  It's not a good comparison because it doesn't take into consideration the materials and craftmanship of the KK parts vs. Favorite. The tolerances, quality, etc. are completely different.

It's kinda like buying new tires for your truck, and getting nearly bald ones at the junk yard, and saying they're the same because they both fit your rims. LOL!

57 minutes ago, Glenn said:

That's hilarious!  It's not a good comparison because it doesn't take into consideration the materials and craftmanship of the KK parts vs. Favorite. The tolerances, quality, etc. are completely different.

It's kinda like buying new tires for your truck, and getting nearly bald ones at the junk yard, and saying they're the same because they both fit your rims. LOL!

I don’t agree with your analogy. If the frame is the same and the parts are the same, we know this because there is video proof, how can the  tolerances be different. Other than Favorite charging more money for the same reel I see no difference.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, waymont said:

I don’t agree with your analogy. If the frame is the same and the parts are the same, we know this because there is video proof, how can the  tolerances be different. Other than Favorite charging more money for the same reel I see no difference.

Agree 100%

• Like 1

I've been using a KastKing Assasin for three years on a heavy jig and worm rod.  Caught 17 yesterday, no issues hauling them out of the cover.  The reel should be fine for frogging.

IMG_2556-X2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Francho said:

I've been using a KastKing Assasin for three years on a heavy jig and worm rod.  Caught 17 yesterday, no issues hauling them out of the cover.  The reel should be fine for frogging.

IMG_2556-X2.jpg

Cool photo 

• Like 1

I'm actually looking for another combo for some frogging and punching from the bank. Think a Royale Legend XH fast with the Stealth reel. Been using KK gear exclusively for bank fishing. This way  I don't have to worry about mucking up my Lew's reels. Haven't had issues using their gear. They work great and cheap. If the reel blows up I'll just by a new one. I'm even thinking about pairing all my Lew's reels with Kasking rods for the boat. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, waymont said:

Then put some bald tires on your truck and let us know how that works out for you.  :)

2 hours ago, Glenn said:

Then put some bald tires on your truck and let us know how that works out for you.  :)

I don't own car!

21 hours ago, waymont said:

If the frame is the same and the parts are the same, we know this because there is video proof, how can the  tolerances be different.

Many parts in an entry level reel fit into the same maker's flagship model.  Does that mean the same tolerances are used?  It's a huge leap to assume so.