Jump to content
papajoe222

Productive Fishing/Limited Funds

Recommended Posts

I know there are a bunch of anglers on this site that are limited as to how much they can spend on their fishing addiction. I'll be the first to admit that the quality of many angling products can make the sport more enjoyable and productive.  That being said, until the kids were out of college and the house was paid for, I did just fine fishing local tournaments from a jon boat with an old 10 horse Johnson, transom mounted TM and a Humminbird Super 60 (flasher) depth finder. Three combos that I paid less than $75 for *back in the 80"s. Other than plastic worms, all my lures fit into 2 Plano 3700 tackle boxes. My success in those local tournaments and in my everyday outings depended on finding fish that I could catch with what I had available.

The reason I mention all this is because you will read about a lot of higher end products in some of the posts here. Great products, some offered by sponsors here. The main reason for this site's being is to inform, educate and share fishing knowledge. Quality products only add to your enjoyment of this great sport. If all you can afford is one combo, mono line and Wal-Mart bargain bin lures, don't feel that you are missing out. The fish are still there for the catching. Use what you have available, whether from shore or out on the water, but use the information about the fish, seasonal patterns and the different presentations you read here, or see on video to become better at finding fish that you can catch. When and if you ever have the funds to enjoy a custom built rod, or a $25 swimbait, you'll not only enjoy its benefits, you'll know exactly where to use them.   :ok-wink:

 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Papajoe, my old tournament buddy used to buy the lowest priced rods and reels and he could outfish anyone. We did really great in tournaments with him using lower end products.

 

When a rod or reel broke he just threw it away and got another low end model.

 

He had an old Cajun boat and I don't believe he had any electronics. We fished out of my boat most of the time as he liked it and he always did very well, which was a confidence builder for him.

 

So when you penned that using one combo, mono line and Walmart bargain bin lures is acceptable in bass fishing, it touched home for me.

 

As my buddy told me, "the bass have no idea of the brand or cost of your tackle." He knew about pattering and he used a number of presentations. He also rigged a Creme worm with three hooks and this was his "go to" bait.  You try to figure out how to rig any worm with three hooks all tied together. It is not easy.

 

I learned a lot from him before he moved back home up north. And I still have some of his Creme worms with the three hooks.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The number one key to consistently catching bass is between your ears not between the folds of your wallet.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, papajoe222 said:

My success...depended on finding fish...

....become better at finding fish that you can catch. 

 

Couldn't agree more. I edited out all the fluff and left the important part of your post.

I think we do a disservice to potential new anglers as well as to the sport of bass fishing when we propagate the idea that top of the line tackle and specific lures are necessary to be a successful angler and catch more fish.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wholeheartedly agree. Proof is in the pudding. On a day you're not catching fish it's not because your lure wasn't attractive, or your rig wasn't functional/sensitive......it's because you were flinging it all around in the wrong places. Happens to me allllllllllll the time 🤣

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, papajoe222 said:

When and if you ever have the funds to enjoy a custom built rod, or a $25 swimbait, you'll not only enjoy its benefits, you'll know exactly where to use them.   

I have +$25 swimbaits and a custom topwater rod along with other expensive fishing gear. It is nice to use but I have caught most of my big bass on regular priced gear. I know many who like to flaunt expensive gear but they have not caught a fish worthy enough to justify the amount they spent, at least from what I have seen. 

9 hours ago, Sam said:

Papajoe, my old tournament buddy used to buy the lowest priced rods and reels and he could outfish anyone. We did really great in tournaments with him using lower end products.

 

When a rod or reel broke he just threw it away and got another low end model.

 

He had an old Cajun boat and I don't believe he had any electronics. We fished out of my boat most of the time as he liked it and he always did very well, which was a confidence builder for him.

 

So when you penned that using one combo, mono line and Walmart bargain bin lures is acceptable in bass fishing, it touched home for me.

 

As my buddy told me, "the bass have no idea of the brand or cost of your tackle." He knew about pattering and he used a number of presentations. He also rigged a Creme worm with three hooks and this was his "go to" bait.  You try to figure out how to rig any worm with three hooks all tied together. It is not easy.

 

I learned a lot from him before he moved back home up north. And I still have some of his Creme worms with the three hooks.

 

 

You have to be a very good fisherman to consistently catch quality fish without the help of electronics. He is correct the bass have no idea what brand you are using or how much your tackle cost that is why it is best to develop one's bass fishing skill as much as possible and not focus on less important things.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm bassin on a budget everyday

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a kid, plastics seemed like a luxury to me.  You not only had to buy the baits, but you had to get sinkers, jigs, and hooks.  Or, I could buy a crankbait for $3-4 and catch hundreds of fish on that single crankbait.  I suppose this is why I'm a pretty good crankbait angler today.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, J Francho said:

When I was a kid, plastics seemed like a luxury to me.  You not only had to buy the baits, but you had to get sinkers, jigs, and hooks.  Or, I could buy a crankbait for $3-4 and catch hundreds of fish on that single crankbait.  I suppose this is why I'm a pretty good crankbait angler today.

Yup ~ 

 Plain old Rebel minnow and a red & white Daredevil Imp.

My one two punch for a while.

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

Yup ~ 

 Plain old Rebel minnow and a red & white Daredevil Imp.

My one two punch for a while.

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

Deep Wee-R and Deep Crawfish were game changers, back in the 80s.  I also caught a bunch on Benos.  Rapala Countdowns should get mention.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Catt said:

The number one key to consistently catching bass is between your ears not between the folds of your wallet.

THIS^^^

 

Everyone seems to forget that this game is more mental than anything else

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seriously started targeting bigger fish in the mid90's when I was 15 or 16 years old with a cheap (expensive to me) daiwa baitcaster I bought at Kmart that I mounted on a 6' ugly stick and spooled with spiderwire.  I relied on using a few spinnerbaits and spoons and other lures from my dad's tackle box.  I used this rod/reel for everything from bass and Pike to catfish, trout and suckers.  It wasn't until I was 19 years old I got a 2nd rod/reel. 

 

I never even imagined at the time I needed different rods and reels for different techniques.  I just adapted and went with it and caught a lot of fish.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, papajoe222 said:

I know there are a bunch of anglers on this site that are limited as to how much they can spend on their fishing addiction. I'll be the first to admit that the quality of many angling products can make the sport more enjoyable and productive.  That being said, until the kids were out of college and the house was paid for, I did just fine fishing local tournaments from a jon boat with an old 10 horse Johnson, transom mounted TM and a Humminbird Super 60 (flasher) depth finder. Three combos that I paid less than $75 for *back in the 80"s. Other than plastic worms, all my lures fit into 2 Plano 3700 tackle boxes. My success in those local tournaments and in my everyday outings depended on finding fish that I could catch with what I had available.

The reason I mention all this is because you will read about a lot of higher end products in some of the posts here. Great products, some offered by sponsors here. The main reason for this site's being is to inform, educate and share fishing knowledge. Quality products only add to your enjoyment of this great sport. If all you can afford is one combo, mono line and Wal-Mart bargain bin lures, don't feel that you are missing out. The fish are still there for the catching. Use what you have available, whether from shore or out on the water, but use the information about the fish, seasonal patterns and the different presentations you read here, or see on video to become better at finding fish that you can catch. When and if you ever have the funds to enjoy a custom built rod, or a $25 swimbait, you'll not only enjoy its benefits, you'll know exactly where to use them.   :ok-wink:

 

What a refreshing perspective and it's one I personally subscribe to. High quality gear is great and can make the fishing experience more enjoyable, but is not necessary.  I can fit all my effective fish catching stuff into one backpack and tackle bag.

 

My wife's uncle is an avid angler like us and he loves catching bass and other species.  He has a simple ugly stick rod and reel and my gear, although modest is "high end" to him.  He proceeded to catch 4 bass in the span it took me to line my 3 rigs. It was then I had that revelation and I'm glad for it. I won't knock anyone who insists on high gear. It is their prerogative. It is also hard "to go backward" however, once you've eaten the forbidden fruit.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waaay back in the day when I sold tackle just outside the local Army base, I spent a good deal of my time consoling [and educating] these guys who of course wanted the high or higher end gear, but who, for obvious reasons really couldn't afford it. The spiel went something like this...I'd be happy to sell you that gear, but to be completely honest the fish around here don't really care what you fish with, and if you know where they're hiding you could catch 'em on a twig and a string with a hook. Sort of like Huck Fin and Tom Sawyer. So I would recommend that maybe you start with something you can reasonably afford right now...

 

This was usually followed by my "think like a fish" lesson...the whole point being as has been mentioned many times here, the higher end gear is nice to have, but not necessary. As far as I know, the high end stuff doesn't come with any more of a guarantee of catching anything any better than the lower/moderate gear, but investing in studying and understanding your prey does. 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Catt said:

The number one key to consistently catching bass is between your ears not between the folds of your wallet.

This says it all right here. When I first started bass fishing I had a family of 4 kids at home. My tackle was not the greatest or the best- still isnt! So, I focused on where and how to fish and realized that's the key to bass fishing. Fancy tackle is all good, but you need to be using it in the right locations first

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, soflabasser said:

I have +$25 swimbaits and a custom topwater rod along with other expensive fishing gear. It is nice to use but I have caught most of my big bass on regular priced gear. I know many who like to flaunt expensive gear but they have not caught a fish worthy enough to justify the amount they spent, at least from what I have seen. 

 

^ This is true in all sorts of things people participate in. I can’t tell you how many guys I play hockey with that have the best of equipment, $1000 skates and $300 sticks etc but I can skate circles around them and they can’t shoot a puck to save their lives. 

Seems nowadays lots of people have it set in their head that you can only compete with the best of equipment, guess that’s how the companies want us to think though. I’ll take a big old bass on a crappy pole over no bass on the best rod and reel any day. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Way north bass guy said:

^ This is true in all sorts of things people participate in. I can’t tell you how many guys I play hockey with that have the best of equipment, $1000 skates and $300 sticks etc but I can skate circles around them and they can’t shoot a puck to save their lives. 

Seems nowadays lots of people have it set in their head that you can only compete with the best of equipment, guess that’s how the companies want us to think though. I’ll take a big old bass on a crappy pole over no bass on the best rod and reel any day. 

We gotta put 2 more kids through college, so God bless the American male sporting goods consumer. :) 

Yes, those new $2000 carbon wheels WILL make you faster...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first baitcaster was a used ambassaduer 5000 mounted on a fiberglass rod . Maxmus rednekess has that reel now , or he may have sold it . That reel brought in plenty of big bass .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caught my second biggest bass ever last week - 4.75 lb with a $1.97 Walmart crank bait. My PB is 5.25 a month earlier from the same spot on the bank. Used a Zoom Super Fluke there which is actually pretty cheap too.

 

Been seriously bass fishing for two months but been learning about it for about nine. I out-fish my friend and I believe it's because of my watching videos on bass behavior and fishing in general here at BR as well as Tactical Bassin and a bunch of others. He's been fishing his whole life but I learn fast.

 

Knowledge is power ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why Kayak fishing has become so popular, because we anglers realized we don't need a 60k boat and 15 rods and reels to go around and fish bodies of water, Any average joe can pick up some plastic worms, a 20 dollar bass combo some texas rigging hooks and maybe a yak or bank fish and catch more than someone with a 60k boat and 500 dollar combos, in my opinion that's what makes this sport so awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was blessed with the desire to fish and the opportunity to pursue fishing. Growing a cast away from a multi species lake the opportunity was at my front porch. Being the youngest of 3 brothers fueled my competitive drive to learn and keep up. My older brother was 4 years ahead and started working at age 16 at a boat landing and I was his helper. Hanging around the dock I learned to bass fish and saved every penny. I bought my 1st rod, reel, line and 1 lure at age 12. I fished with that combo all summer finding a few lures to add to my collection. I used that rod and reel for several years until I was 16 and working. My second outfit was a new Abu Ambassaduer 5000 reel. I continued using my original Langley Lure cast 330 and Conolin rod since 12 years old and the new 5000 on a Eagle Claw rod until out of college and caught tons of bass. 

You don't need lots of tackle you do need opportunity and desire, bass are very willing to be caught.

Tom

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glenn just put a video out that addresses budget baits:

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:13 AM, BassWhole! said:

I think we do a disservice to potential new anglers as well as to the sport of bass fishing when we propagate the idea that top of the line tackle and specific lures are necessary to be a successful angler and catch more fish.

I understand your point, really I do. I also believe that it's harder for the youth today to make a go at it, however, I don't think it's impossible if one has the courage to overcome.

I remember riding my bike to the lake and wading into the water to recover my 50 cent Crème worm. That 50 cents was my weekly allowance for farm work. When I turned 17, I volunteered for the Army (didn't wait for a draft notice) and left home with nothing but the shirt on my back. The first time I reported to the pay officer, he counted out a little more than a $100 on the field table in front of me. I sent half to my mother and lived on the rest. (thank God for the free C and beer rations) During the twenty+ years I served my country, I got my GED, a college degree and teaching certificate. I started acquiring high end tackle in the mid to late 80s when my situation improved to the point where I could. Today I have lower priced lures sitting along side my higher end JDM lures. My point, if you want it bad enough, you can have it. My message to the youth today; for most of us, it doesn't come overnight.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, scaleface said:

My first baitcaster was a used ambassaduer 5000 mounted on a fiberglass rod . Maxmus rednekess has that reel now , or he may have sold it . That reel brought in plenty of big bass .

All I really use are Ambassadeurs from the 1000 size all the way to 6000.  I've paid as little as $10 for them as non-working parts units on eBay.  Turned out most just needed a good cleaning and lube.  I actually bought another one today for $15 that looks to have very little use.  Seller's description stated "Missing some screws and bail doesn't always lock when you turn the handle. Maybe with some TLC you can fix it."  I'll have it back to fishing in under an hour.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a younger guy trying to finish college and newly married, this is the post I needed for motivation to keep on going! Only been fishing seriously for a couple months but I have had great luck with sales at Bass pro and Academy to build up my tackle and rod collection. I love seeing everyone's perspective here

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...