Jump to content
TheRodFather

I cant believe what I just saw!

Recommended Posts

I watched a grown man allow a young(ish) girl push his cart of groceries out to the parking lot and load them in his car at Publix tonight.

 

I don't even know what to say.  There could be more to the story, but he couldn't have been more than mid 40s and looked perfectly able bodied.

 

Unreal.  This area is full of people that gave up, or never had their man card, it sickens me.

 

Rant over/

 

Sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure that's not part of the service?

 

Here, Lunds/Byerlys have people specifically hired to haul and load your groceries for you...it's part of their standard service.

 

The local Jubilee Foods puts your bags in bins, they go on a roller, and you drive up to the rollers outside and someone loads from the bins to your vehicle...also part of their standard service.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe she was all about equal rights.

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  

Just now, MN Fisher said:

Sure that's not part of the service?

 

Here, Lunds/Byerlys have people specifically hired to haul and load your groceries for you...it's part of their standard service.

 

The local Jubilee Foods puts your bags in bins, they go on a roller, and you drive up to the rollers outside and someone loads from the bins to your vehicle...also part of their standard service.

   Beat me to it.    jj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheRodFather said:

There could be more to the story

Usually there is, so the safe bet is to assume only the best, if you were to assume at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you guys are probably all correct.  It's been a rough week, I'm a Plumber, it's 104 with heat index to 115, and I did a water heater in an attic yesterday.  The heat is getting to my brain I think.  It IS a service at Publix, but it left me speechless to see an able bodied man allow somebody else (the fact that it was a young girl adds to my amazement) to walk the groceries out to the car, and then load them.  Call me old fashioned I guess.

 

No shame in that guys game.  It is really strange where I live, mostly white collar folks who know how to do nothing for themselves.  Guess I shouldn't complain, I will always have work, being a plumber.

 

That service is for the old and or infirm, or moms/dads with small rugrats in their arms, etc, etc. 

 

Wont happen again.......carry on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When they have asked me if I would like help I always look at them and smile and say..."some day maybe"!!

In this day and age you just don't have to go far in the day to just look around and just shake your head.  It's endless...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At Joint Base McGuire/Fort Dix commissary there are baggers at the check out and they will also take your groceries to your car and load them for you. I always always take my groceries to the car. These folks work off tips only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 7:41 PM, TheRodFather said:

I watched a grown man allow a young(ish) girl push his cart of groceries out to the parking lot and load them in his car at Publix tonight.

Good for her working a job, and learning a work ethic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good points,  all.  When offered help to carry out, I decline, but I can easily see myself thinking, "Sure.  I'll give you a break from the monotony at the checkout and an opportunity to earn a few extra bucks for 5 minutes of your time."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure why this is a big deal.  I always turn it down when offered but nothing wrong with a girl or a boy working.  We all have had jobs that we didn't like and you can learn from them.  This is what minimum wage type jobs are for in my opinion anyways.  Put the work in so you can appreciate the work it takes and decide if that is what you want to do for a long time or make yourself more marketable and move up the employment ladder.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local small town grocery store I frequent,  it's part of their service. They won't even give you a chance to grab the bags and do it yourself. 

 

Always find it awkward having that 16-18 year old struggling to carry my 50lbs of groceries when they're half my size. "Here let me open that door for you..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, J Francho said:

Good for her working a job, and learning a work ethic.

 

8 hours ago, flyfisher said:

I am not sure why this is a big deal.  I always turn it down when offered but nothing wrong with a girl or a boy working.  We all have had jobs that we didn't like and you can learn from them.  This is what minimum wage type jobs are for in my opinion anyways.  Put the work in so you can appreciate the work it takes and decide if that is what you want to do for a long time or make yourself more marketable and move up the employment ladder.

 

4 hours ago, FordsnFishin said:

Local small town grocery store I frequent,  it's part of their service. They won't even give you a chance to grab the bags and do it yourself. 

 

Always find it awkward having that 16-18 year old struggling to carry my 50lbs of groceries when they're half my size. "Here let me open that door for you..."

 

I agree that it is good on her for learning work ethic.  What about the work ethic of the guy having her carry his groceries?

 

The fact that you intuitively "turn it down", or you "find it awkward", is the same reason I find it unpalatable to have someone do something for me that I am capable of doing myself.

 

That's how we were raised.

 

We were not raised to let others do for us, what we can do for ourselves.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Kroger's in my area has young boys and girls bag and take groceries out for you and they are not allowed to take tips when they do.  If you try to help, most of them will tell you, they've got it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

winn dixie and rouses will bag and take your groceries to your car if you ask on the ms gulf coast ... no tip ... grocery business is very very competitive ...

 

good fishing ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt not helping with the cost of groceries........

 

I have the option to check out and bag my own groceries nowadays, where is the discount passed on to me because they saved wage and benefits not having a cashier?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really never know about an individual's health situation.

 

Some people who are battling for their life can look normal with no problems.

 

My best friend had his neck fused and back operated on and other than for not being able to move his head side to side or bend at the waist he looks perfectly normal.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 5:03 PM, TheRodFather said:

What about the work ethic of the guy having her carry his groceries?

What is it about your self that has you wondering aloud about this person?  You don't know his situation.  Don't project, and don't assume.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on the flip side, those guys at the home improvement stores will get lost real quick when they see you checking out with a cart load of Quickrete.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have seen the look of fear on the kids face helping me at HD when he asked if there was anything else I needed and my reply was yes, I need 140, 80# bags of Quickrete, and the look of his relief when I said I was just going let them deliver it.  

60 mile round trip, my 2500HD gets about 10 miles per gallon and 40 bags is about the most I will haul at one time, the cost of gas alone was enough to convince me I didn't want to mess with it and ready mix trucks won't deliver less than 4.5 yards to where I live,

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 5:46 PM, TheRodFather said:

No doubt not helping with the cost of groceries........

 

I have the option to check out and bag my own groceries nowadays, where is the discount passed on to me because they saved wage and benefits not having a cashier?

 

 

You are definitely paying to have a person carry your groceries to the car at the checkout whether you use them to help you or not. Have you ever shopped at an Aldi store?  Prices there are typically 30% cheaper than the stores that have people to bag and take your food the the car for you. At Aldi, you bring your own bags, or pay extra for them at the checkout. You pay a quarter for a shopping cart, which you get back when you put it back in the rack. The store doesn’t have to pay someone to gather carts, and the parking lots don’t have carts everywhere. You also bag your own groceries. If you are trying to save money on food, Aldi skimps on service to lower prices. If you don’t mind doing a little extra work, the savings add up. The stores are smaller and don’t have a huge selection. It’s almost all private label items. If you get something that you don’t like, they’ll give you your money back and, if you want, they’ll also replace the item free. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, J Francho said:

What is it about your self that has you wondering aloud about this person?  You don't know his situation.  Don't project, and don't assume.

 

Not interested in an argument, I admittedly overreacted.  Carry on.

 

 

 

 

 

11 hours ago, Scott F said:

You are definitely paying to have a person carry your groceries to the car at the checkout whether you use them to help you or not. Have you ever shopped at an Aldi store?  Prices there are typically 30% cheaper than the stores that have people to bag and take your food the the car for you. At Aldi, you bring your own bags, or pay extra for them at the checkout. You pay a quarter for a shopping cart, which you get back when you put it back in the rack. The store doesn’t have to pay someone to gather carts, and the parking lots don’t have carts everywhere. You also bag your own groceries. If you are trying to save money on food, Aldi skimps on service to lower prices. If you don’t mind doing a little extra work, the savings add up. The stores are smaller and don’t have a huge selection. It’s almost all private label items. If you get something that you don’t like, they’ll give you your money back and, if you want, they’ll also replace the item free. 

 

Aldi's prices are good, but a lot of it is processed foods, and so not the best from a health standpoint (that's my wife's stance anyway).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheRodFather said:

Aldi's prices are good, but a lot of it is processed foods, and so not the best from a health standpoint (that's my wife's stance   anyway).

A lot of every grocery store is processed foods. Aldi also sells fresh meat, dairy, fresh produce and organic foods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scott F said:

A lot of every grocery store is processed foods. Aldi also sells fresh meat, dairy, fresh produce and organic foods. 

   Aldi's ROCKS!  I love them! And yes, they charge less because of less services. I don't mind bagging my own groceries. I always figured that there were two business models involved in the food industry; more attentive service (for which you pay more) or less attentive service (for which you save some dough). I think both are perfectly valid. After all, who doesn't want a choice?   jj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my hometown I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone offer to carry my groceries or wheel them out to the truck. That’s fine with me , because I don’t want to tip anyone anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...