Jump to content

My Problem With YouTube Fishing Videos...


Recommended Posts

  • Super User
20 minutes ago, KSanford33 said:

For example, one of the channels I watch reasonably frequently is Matt Stefan's channel. I was watching a video on Carolina rigs since it's a technique I want to improve on this season. He said it's one of his favorite offshore structure techniques. That's great, but he should expound on which offshore structures he uses it on. Humps, points, saddles, channels, etc. 

Then watch his affiliate channels Fish the Moment and Bass Fishing Declassified where they dive deep into those subjects.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

It's about 100x easier to learn how to fish a bait than learn how to reliably predict where fish are going to be, if you can even do that.   

 

We all know the general areas and times where fish should be, but atlas Bass are about as predictable as a 10 day weather forecast.  

 

The real pros and experts know this fact, and because of that aren't nearly as willing to disclose hard learned secrets about finding them.    Same reason Josh Jones isn't giving a seminar on Live Scope for free on Youtube.    

 

Most pros will always tell you what they caught them on, they'll almost never tell you where they caught them.

 

Just my 2cents.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, KSanford33 said:

I work from home, so in the downtime I end up watching a lot of YouTube videos, mainly on fishing. I understand the desire to learn different techniques, but I feel that 99% of YouTube videos are focused on techniques and very few on actually finding fish. I feel like there should be a lot more videos focused on finding fish, since that's essentially the first step to catching fish. 

 

For example, one of the channels I watch reasonably frequently is Matt Stefan's channel. I was watching a video on Carolina rigs since it's a technique I want to improve on this season. He said it's one of his favorite offshore structure techniques. That's great, but he should expound on which offshore structures he uses it on. Humps, points, saddles, channels, etc. 

 

 Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm definitely more interested in learning how to find fish rather than how to use different techniques.

You should ask Glenn to dedicate one of his videos to finding fish. I’m sure he’d be glad to help you. If he already has I apologize.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fish The Moment is largely educational and he spends a lot of time on looking for fish in his videos.

 

If you just followed FTM and Tactical Bassin' you'd be in great shape and wouldn't deal with any of the BS of most of the other channels.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Deleted account said:

 

"Run your Suzuki 250 HP out to the first secondary point, then"...

See yall in a week... :) 

went right over my head? ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, bowhunter63 said:

Check out old school bass fishing videos .Larry Nixon Woo Dave’s and all the big names. Old school Rocks cause I’m old

I agree! Don't know how old you are, I'm 63. I still mostly rock the old school techniques. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, KSanford33 said:

I work from home, so in the downtime I end up watching a lot of YouTube videos, mainly on fishing. I understand the desire to learn different techniques, but I feel that 99% of YouTube videos are focused on techniques and very few on actually finding fish. I feel like there should be a lot more videos focused on finding fish, since that's essentially the first step to catching fish. 

 

For example, one of the channels I watch reasonably frequently is Matt Stefan's channel. I was watching a video on Carolina rigs since it's a technique I want to improve on this season. He said it's one of his favorite offshore structure techniques. That's great, but he should expound on which offshore structures he uses it on. Humps, points, saddles, channels, etc. 

 

 Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm definitely more interested in learning how to find fish rather than how to use different techniques.

Fish the Moment guy really covers areas and how he uses his side scan to get him there.  he is like a fishing science guy.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PhishLI said:

Then watch his affiliate channels Fish the Moment and Bass Fishing Declassified where they dive deep into those subjects.

You're 100% correct. I watch Fish the Moment a ton. I'm not saying they don't exist, it just feels like channels such as FTM are in the minority. 

 

1 hour ago, Bankc said:

I would MUCH rather watch a seasoned pro not catch fish for four hours straight to see their process to get on fish than watch 10 minutes of hooksets and fish holding, while guys talk about their sponsors.  

 There's a section in Bassmaster magazine called Day On The Lake or something to that effect that's very helpful. It's obviously in print and not video format, but it delves into why they're trying what they're trying, which is what I want to know.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, volzfan59 said:

I agree! Don't know how old you are, I'm 63. I still mostly rock the old school techniques. 

60 Us guys gotta stay together ?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
6 hours ago, volzfan59 said:

I agree! Don't know how old you are, I'm 63. I still mostly rock the old school techniques. 

 

25 minutes ago, bowhunter63 said:

60 Us guys gotta stay together ?

Gotta start a '60's Rockin' Group' - I know @A-Jay belongs - he's three months older than I am.

 

I like the older Lindner Brothers  and Babe Winkleman films....probably cause they're from here.

 

@volzfan59 beats me by 2 months.

 

#borninfiftynine

(ya, stealing it)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MN Fisher said:

 

Gotta start a '60's Rockin' Group' - I know @A-Jay belongs - he's three months older than I am.

 

I like the older Lindner Brothers  and Babe Winkleman films....probably cause they're from here.

 

@volzfan59 beats me by 2 months.

 

#borninfiftynine

(ya, stealing it)

I’m in. Linders were great 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MN Fisher said:

 

Gotta start a '60's Rockin' Group' - I know @A-Jay belongs - he's three months older than I am.

 

I like the older Lindner Brothers  and Babe Winkleman films....probably cause they're from here.

 

@volzfan59 beats me by 2 months.

 

#borninfiftynine

(ya, stealing it)

#borninfiftynine! I love it. I've always enjoyed the Linder's and Babe Winkleman. Back in the day, one of the TV stations in Knoxville, TN carried Babe's show for a while.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A channel not often talked about that I found completely MIND BLOWING is The Nature of Fishing.

 

I mean....this man goes DEEP into bass behavior and his series around the spawn is breathtaking.  You can feel his passion and obsession and he really clarifies a ton of bass behavior tendencies and things of that sort for each season and even for different water types and weather conditions.  Just unbelievable information.

 

If you love Bass fishing, do your self a favor and watch The Nature of Fishing.  No affiliation what so ever, just never hear it mentioned and it's great!

 

All these other guys are great too and I love em all!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, Pat Brown said:

A channel not often talked about that I found completely MIND BLOWING is The Nature of Fishing.


That’s Paul Robert’s channel. He was a regular here for a long time. You could search him and his posts here as he was involved in a lot of good discussions. Still figure one of these days I’ll pop on here and see him posting again :thumbsup:

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

@Pat Brown, thanks for the suggestion. I'm watching one of his videos right now and subsribed. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
34 minutes ago, Team9nine said:

Still figure one of these days I’ll pop on here and see him posting again

Last vid he put up was a shortie - but I said 'Hi' in a comment and he seemed pleased to have someone from BR do that.

 

Paul also joined in a couple of the Zoom meetings we had during the 20-21 winter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
2 hours ago, volzfan59 said:

I've always enjoyed the Linder's

They still have a show on every Saturday morning here locally.  It's Lindner's Angling Edge.  They are not just bass guys either, they target walleye, panfish, muskies, catfish, almost every freshwater species you can think of up here in the Midwest.  Their magazine, In-Fisherman, is based out of Brainerd/Baxter.  It the only paper magazine I still receive every month.  I just renewed it for 2023 and it costs me $6 for 13 editions.

 

The primary guy who runs the show now is James Lindner.  There is also a local spin off show called Angling Buzz which is a seasonal show that is hosted by Troy Lindner.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
3 minutes ago, gimruis said:

They still have a show on every Saturday morning here locally.  It's Lindner's Angling Edge.

They post the episodes to their You-Tube a bit after they air - https://www.youtube.com/@LindnerMedia

 

3 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Their magazine, In-Fisherman, is based out of Brainerd/Baxter.  It the only paper magazine I still receive every month.  I just renewed it for 2023 and it costs me $6 for 13 editions.

Ya- I got mine set to auto-renew...then I don't forget. They also have the issues available through an App on your phone/tablet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 minute ago, MN Fisher said:

They post the episodes to their You-Tube a bit after they air -

The one tomorrow is "Ice out Smallmouth."  I'll bet they are tossing jerk baits.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • BassResource.com Administrator
2 hours ago, Team9nine said:

That’s Paul Robert’s channel. He was a regular here for a long time. You could search him and his posts here as he was involved in a lot of good discussions. Still figure one of these days I’ll pop on here and see him posting again :thumbsup:

Yup, it's a good channel.  While he was here, he PM'd me and asked me a lot of questions about videos, and I was happy to offer advice.  Then he launched his channel and, as Hee-Haw would say, "and pfft! you were gone"

 

 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, gimruis said:

They still have a show on every Saturday morning here locally.  It's Lindner's Angling Edge.  They are not just bass guys either, they target walleye, panfish, muskies, catfish, almost every freshwater species you can think of up here in the Midwest.  Their magazine, In-Fisherman, is based out of Brainerd/Baxter.  It the only paper magazine I still receive every month.  I just renewed it for 2023 and it costs me $6 for 13 editions.

 

The primary guy who runs the show now is James Lindner.  There is also a local spin off show called Angling Buzz which is a seasonal show that is hosted by Troy Lindner.

What happened to Al?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
4 minutes ago, KSanford33 said:

What happened to Al?

Nothing - he's just getting older and the loss of his brother Ron hit him hard. He's still in vids, still writing articles...just slowly backing off, handing the reins to his son Troy and Ron's son James.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.