Nattyboh74

What size(s) leader on 20# braid

Looking to get maybe two sizes of leaders to use for bass spinning setups. Like I said I have a 20# braid now. Also what knot should be used when joining the braid to mono, uni to uni?

I match my leader and braid diameter, so for 20lb braid, I'd use 6lb leader.

I've been using a uni-uni knot, haven't been a big fan tbh. I've started using more wraps in my knot, and I think it's helping. 

I just do this. In the Pacific NW, when I use braid to mono, I usually go 20-30lb powerpro to ab equal lb test flouro, such as 20lb. 

• Like 1

The Alberto knot is your friend and is easy to learn.  I hate learning knots and easy is better.  The leader is completely up to you.  Thats the reason for running a leader is you can match the situation at hand.  I run a 10lb YHB leader on my dobyns dx 743 most often and its good all around.  On my top-water rod i run 20 to a 14lb leader of XL.

• Like 1

You'll probably be fine with 6-12lb leader depending what you are using for lures. As for leader knots, I'd recommend the Alberto as well. 

Unless you really need stealth, stay above about 10 pound test.  6-10 is pretty fragile.  Alberto is a good, small, knot, but make sure you tie it exactly correctly, with the tag end going through the loop from the correct side.  Otherwise it will fail.  http://www.***.com/fishing_knots/alberto-knot

Any brand, but I like leader grade.  Not much is used so a 25 yard spool lasts a long time.  That link to the knot has been rendered inoperative, so if you need directions on the Alberto, send me an e-mail.

Does the thicker leader grade offer less presentation, if that makes sense. Like does the fact that the line is thicker, does it hinder the application and presentation of the lure?

I don't think leader grade is larger in diameter than line grade.  It is stiffer and tougher, more abrasion resistant.  Since it is stiffer it won't tangle on the jerk (actually on the slack line after the jerk)  with blade baits as much as line grade does.  If you have a presentation that requires soft line (what might that be?) then it would not be as good.  Keep in mind that both FC and mono leader grade is used in crystal clear salt water all the time.

• Like 1

Holy cow! 20lb braid would be like fishing with sewing thread.  Is that like 4lb diameter?

15 hours ago, carlosjr said:

I just do this. In the Pacific NW, when I use braid to mono, I usually go 20-30lb powerpro to ab equal lb test flouro, such as 20lb. 

Man, I miss that dude being on my TV...

• Like 1

The Alberto knot is great for joining braid to mono. 

I use the FG knot as well, which is smaller and stronger...but I've never had an Alberto knot fail, so knot strength is sorta moot.

20 pound 832 to a 14 pound Seaguar Blue box leader.

7 hours ago, Chris at Tech said:

Man, I miss that dude being on my TV...

he was the real deal. I miss that guy too