HeyCoach

LMB without the black stripe?

I just caught a 1.5 pounder, beautiful largemouth. Had a nice dark green fade to a golden white. The only thing wrong visually was that it didn’t have the characteristic black blotchy stripe. 

Has anybody ever seen this before?

Yes, it’s fairly common in some of the waters I fish. A lot of bass I catch are silverfish or all green, and lack the usual dark horizontal stripe. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HeyCoach said:

I just caught a 1.5 pounder, beautiful largemouth. Had a nice dark green fade to a golden white. The only thing wrong visually was that it didn’t have the characteristic black blotchy stripe. 

Has anybody ever seen this before?

Some of the bass I catch in South Florida are golden colored and you can barely see the lines you speak of it at all. Have also caught some big bass with very clean looking golden coloration with dark lines, which to me are the most beautiful colored largemouth bass I have seen. These bass come from some extremely clear waters we have down here.

Yes.

Camouflage. Probably spent its time in open water or on/near rocks. A fish that spends its time in weeds will be darker and have a well defined stripe. If you were to put the bass you caught in a dark livewell for a couple hours, it would darken up and you would surely see the stripe. 

I pulled one out of a muddy river near a dam under a bridge that was barely even green and had no stripe. I've seen many others as well, but not to that extreme. Fairly common.

Depends on water clarity, bottom makeup, time of year, water temps, etc.

IMG_2053-XL.jpg

I caught a couple like that yesterday.  They were very light colored, like a very pale green and had almost no black stripe at all.  I caught them probably 200 yards from the nearest grass on a large offshore bulkhead put in place to prevent erosion.  My assumption is they live out there near that bulk head most of the year, and don't get the darker colors like the fish that live in the grass.

Will there be a difference in pattern on the same fish between summer and winter?

I haven't caught enough bass in enough seasons to make any real conclusion, but it seems like winter bass will be dark and have a defined pattern with dark and light green fading to white while summer bass in the same area are just a solid green/gold. 

Winter bass:

3qRVnSoh.thumb.jpg.6141154bbbff76cb66ba71173a738435.jpg

Summer bass:

HnBcCmxh.thumb.jpg.88ffda13b05019d1aec48ac8f8327b00.jpg

Dinks always seem to have the most defined pattern too. I guess because they haven't been around long enough to fade. 

iLw2lxZh.thumb.jpg.303c02b7fd2a1dcf3602f22f559710db.jpg

I don't know if you can line up seasons to color, though seasons would dictate their location, and that has an effect.  The one I showed above was from a pond, and just after ice out, water temp barely 40°.  This one is a summer fish, from a deep clear lake.  I caught it from a weedy laydown in around 8' of water:

IMG_42283-L.jpg

And then this one from a very cold spring day, water temps in the low 50s, caught VERY shallow:

Picture091-L.jpg

I'm gonna say it's warm, judging by my clothes.  I think it was mid June, but not sure:

IMG_8969.jpg

I have others that show the opposite.  This was a weed fish, water temps above 80°.

20080913-fish-28-L.jpg

Not trying to argue, just showing data.

@J Francho.  I don't think that white t-shirt guy in the last pic you posted has the same passion for fishing that you do...LOL

• Haha 1

Right?  LMAO

KaseIsASmellyJerk-L.jpg

• Haha 1