Battles2222

Does anyone else lure hunt?

Does anyone else like to search for lures in trees and in the shallows at local lakes? Picture is from my cleanup in the past 3 trips searching for lures. First post here. Share the lures and other fishing gear you have found!

156CD8A4-C1A7-46C3-8B38-9925F813E4C8.jpeg

• Like 6

I wish lures like that were hanging around the ponds I fish. All I find are nasty old senkos and tangled bobbers!

(I did find a pad crasher once though...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I might start . Wow , nice haul .

1 hour ago, Battles2222 said:

Does anyone else like to search for lures in trees and in the shallows at local lakes? Picture is from my cleanup in the past 3 trips searching for lures. First post here. Share the lures and other fishing gear you have found!

156CD8A4-C1A7-46C3-8B38-9925F813E4C8.jpeg

well, ive never really thought about doing that, but it sounds like a good idea. free lures!!!

I do, although I haven't had as much time to do it this year. Had a couple decent finds this winter, 3 whopper ploppers, a 128 Pointer, and a Megabass Vision 110 being the highlights so far. We had a thread going for awhile all about finding baits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to do that all the time, mostly rapalas, jitterbugs and old plastics. I still look in trees from time to time when im out on the water. Most of my lure hunting was when I was ice fishing. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, flyfisher said:

I prefer to spend my time on the water fish hunting myself lol 

Me, too.

I'm one of the ones donating. I'm pretty good with a plug knocker, but I'm not spending a lot of time retrieving (mine, or anyone else's)....my fishing time is more valuable to me

• Like 1

It’s a bad habit, and I’ve got it bad. Just say no, kids. I’ve got more lures than I know what to do with, but I can’t quit looking for them. It starts off as something to do when the fish aren’t biting and eventually you find yourself looking for lures when you should be fishing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can I have that one back?? I never really look for them but I certainly pick up any that I find. I would love to find a lucky craft or megabass jerkbait, because that will be the only way I ever get to fish with one haha

0E12833E-6D1F-4EAE-8461-B4CDB6DBB24F.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yuup hank ..same goes for snake hunting..then that leads to old bottle hunting when the other 2 dont pan out

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maxximus Redneckus said:

Yuup hank ..same goes for snake hunting..then that leads to old bottle hunting when the other 2 dont pan out

Actually I'm afraid one day I'm going to step on a snake when I'm not watching where I'm going because I'm looking for lures.

I picked up an old bottle once and it broke in my hand, requiring several stitches. That broke me of that habit pretty good.

Welcome aboard!

Indeed! I've found some nice ones in trees, etc.

• Like 2

I have scored a few spinnerbaits that were hanging in the trees. I wasn't intentionally looking for lures but the yellow and white stood out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FCPhil said:

I wish lures like that were hanging around the ponds I fish. All I find are nasty old senkos and tangled bobbers!

I do find a ton of soft plastics and bobbers too. I either throw them out or don’t even waste my time trying to get them 

I don't really hunt for lures, but sometimes I'll find one. 

This is the last one I found a couple of weeks ago as I was leaving the lake. It was floating on the surface with some line that looked like it was snagged on some brush. Being really close to the launch ramp I later figured I should have pulled the line in instead of just cutting it off. Might have been a rod and reel on the other end of it.

86SyKdNeWeK13HijVV3SIJLtfwC-Hd1Mb6gWm1UCCGE7-y7gSNOHr1B72gZmj1nfatMjfQcJ1BFgFEjheQjjTAWiFu_apt4ShOwmafKN8uzm7c5yh57kovaE6vQ3uW3DRkaSOiw0GyxLC3Fnjsa0A02AananJdm7Uq5PAvP8adkMGfudgshfk8kCUjmr8UxjQffiibzZAB2CJ4WclKanLDXWXeCwKFspqJByTANzdP8Nz_LXSH02KwfTvpvxROep8dn5lAOgUP9f0wYqA7Nhk6gGzMrHFv08tif3xVmAVbjSMA0MlZCkFTOYOVY_gykjtInobcIuaP_taxSyhLV0T5kRvKwguMxRTZJZ_JbabhJGc7v9_NFGWM8DpaH45WUv7svtf5lr9E-ZfQKr-sZhVKc2WxddHp8H6g7ow5f9CTxpQaUSt8PF_GPViW1qg4vFWJokmNN1mAmz9C6K44re8xzWLE_GVNcdqDgL-r-sZmEdwkg0zYwCSF1fUbsWJZdKGrLV9h-WNUa3MovST4egQB6-66TpujTdVZn3FJlEIpvOxEU7fTadsPWuEwMYjZrbzGqDBpnn_RcEB6e_Mf2ErewuLd7pxzr0cgu37ESR3kzjReThPITiwmsVb_L1KIJjSCeHek_8NSytoJ5LLR5J-6ZqsWMfL34=w1260-h944-no

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

I would love to find a lucky craft or megabass jerkbait, because that will be the only way I ever get to fish with one haha

The only MB jerkbait I own is the one I found 😆

• Haha 2

I've found a bunch this Winter while Crappie fishing standing timber off the bank at Winter pool. Not as many as you though, nice.

• Like 1

I don't so much hunt for them, but, when I'm fishing near shore from my kayak, I happen upon them all of the time.

• Like 1

Good find on that whopper plopper! There’s a public park by me that if you have waders you can pick up 40 bucks worth of online spinners every other week lol.

• Like 1

When I'm fishing I don't intentionally go looking for baits, but I do keep my eyes open.  I also have a few favorite trees I check out if the bite slows way down.  This is my haul from 2018.

1401285254_foundlures2018.JPG.a2782b6833f048d4c0a5d1da4db85a1f.JPG

• Like 2

Man, 4 Whopper ploppers, good haul!  

I fish a pretty clear, woody lake that mostly just gets hit by kayakers. I find quite a few crankbaits on sub-surface trees, but nothing compared to what you found.

• Like 1

I do, but not specifically to do so -only while I'm fishing. I pretty much find at least one lure every time I'm out. They tend to mirror what's popular: Senko's, frogs, and squarebills tend to lead the list here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avalonjohn44 said:

Man, 4 Whopper ploppers, good haul!  

I fish a pretty clear, woody lake that mostly just gets hit by kayakers. I find quite a few crankbaits on sub-surface trees, but nothing compared to what you found.

Yeah I’ve gotten lucky. The weird thing is that every single plopper I found is missing the center hook, if not both. Not sure if it is a coincidence or if the plopper hooks rust out quick. 

On 2/11/2019 at 9:42 PM, FCPhil said:

Funny you say that. I was reading your reply the other day and was thinking how I have never found a frog. Sure enough today I got a frog out of a tree in thick snow. Great feeling!