Jump to content
38 Super Fan

Kentucky Has a New State Record Largemouth

Recommended Posts

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Harlan-County-man-sets-largemouth-bass-state-record-509115771.html

 

I never would have thought Highsplint Lake in Harlan County would have a state record swimming in it! :lol: 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow ~ 

What a gorgeous tank of a bass. 

Congrats to Mr Ward on his new PB and State Record. 

Both marks may be hard to top. 

A-Jay 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.   Looking at the photo I would guess 8-9 lbs.  Just further proof that photos can be deceiving.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

                                                   :blob8::blob8:  :love-093:  :blob8::blob8:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!  Amazing catch, and I love the story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 38 Super Fan said:

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Harlan-County-man-sets-largemouth-bass-state-record-509115771.html

 

I never would have thought Highsplint Lake in Harlan County would have a state record swimming in it! :lol: 

 

Cool, Harlan is where my grandma was born.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it by a pound too.

 

 

Did anybody else scroll down and click on the link that said “man killed by exploding tire”? That’s an unusual way to go, that’s for sure.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moral of the story: zoom lizards blast bass in the spring 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a toad....Ive actually fished on Woodcreek Lake in Kentucky , where the previous Largemouth state record was caught. Though I never caught anything over 3lbs, and I definitely wouldn’t have thought a Kentucky bass could grow to 14lbs ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tennessee Boy said:

Wow.   Looking at the photo I would guess 8-9 lbs.  Just further proof that photos can be deceiving.

Did you think the guy was a midget?

 

Clearly looks like a DD plus too me.

 

Im guessing she no longer swims in the lake.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He needs training on how to long arm a fish.... but I guess with a certified state record he doesn’t really need to long arm it.   It is a beautiful fish. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 llb 9.5 oz Northern strain LMB is a true giant and that record should last a long time.

Tom

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You never know where a record might be lurking. Broke it by a pound too. Awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I googled highsplint lake and its just a small bowl shaped lake .  How many acres ? Twenty ?

 

 

Its six acres .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The measurements put the bass at 13.5 lbs but biologist tend to measure fish mouth closed to the base of the tail in lieu of the end of the tail. If you  add 10% for female full of eggs the weight is 14.8 lbs. The photo is good, very healthy bass and looks easily it's length and girth to me.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang, what a beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, scaleface said:

I googled highsplint lake and its just a small bowl shaped lake .  How many acres ? Twenty ?

 

 

Its six acres .

Little lake will now be hammered and fishing will likely suck for a long time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats nearly as crazy is a 4lb male that she was on the nest with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that's a bass!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tennessee Boy said:

Wow.   Looking at the photo I would guess 8-9 lbs.  Just further proof that photos can be deceiving.

I know right? Amazing what actually holding the fish next to your torso rather than holding them out will do lol. 

 

Congrats to that guy though. He didn't just break the record, he shattered it! Almost a pound bigger than the previous record. 

 

57 minutes ago, WRB said:

14 llb 9.5 oz Northern strain LMB is a true giant and that record should last a long time.

Tom

Is is definitely a Northern Strain? I mean it definitely has that dark green, almost black back like a lot of bass up north seem to have.

 

Also gets me a little excited to see a Northern Strain nearing the MA state record...I wonder if there's still hope lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What limits Florida strain LMB range is winter water temps can't drop below 45 degrees.

If the lake has a nuclear power generation plant that warms the water or if it is deep with springs it's possible a FLMB can survive winters in a Kentucky lake.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Glaucus said:

Little lake will now be hammered and fishing will likely suck for a long time.

If I caught a record on my favorite small lake i'm not sure I'd register it just to avoid this scenario. If you're on the biggest or most popular lake in that state then it's no issue, but for something small that you fish a lot is it worth the "official" record and fame to let the secret out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Vilas15 said:

If I caught a record on my favorite small lake i'm not sure I'd register it just to avoid this scenario. If you're on the biggest or most popular lake in that state then it's no issue, but for something small that you fish a lot is it worth the "official" record and fame to let the secret out?

I would have to think on it before I answering.

 

Is it a rule that you have to name the body of water in which the record was caught?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Glaucus said:

I would have to think on it before I answering.

 

Is it a rule that you have to name the body of water in which the record was caught?

I would assume so, any state record list that I've seen lists a lake for every species.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tennessee Boy said:

He needs training on how to long arm a fish.... but I guess with a certified state record he doesn’t really need to long arm it.   It is a beautiful fish. 

 

20190426_213751.jpg

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...