Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I understand every body wants to catch fish, but whatever happened to fishing Etiquette ?  

Does anyone even know what it is ?    

Do you even understand  what it is ?  

 

Used to be if someone in and area you wanted, you just moved on to another spot or at least  a couple HUNDRED YARDS or more away..   Granted I've just started back fishing after 25 yrs, but the way people act on the water these days, its a wonder people or boats aren't shot.   Its like everyone is running around with this mentality of  I bought and paid for my boat and I'm going to do anything I want, screw you if I'm invading your space.   Do I need to start carrying a slingshot and a hand full of split shots to assure me a little personal space ?

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the same boat!  I have been busy with athletic endeavors for the last 25 years and I come back to my beloved bass fishing to find a shocking number of jackleg fishermen and wakeboat yahoos on the lakes.  I do not care if you are fishing a tournament, thats no reason to cut me off!  

So here is my solution:  I fish big lakes as little as possible from now till deer season.  If I do fish one, I put in mid afternoon on Sunday once the tournament boys are done. Maybe a few less idiots out there.  But for the most part, its weekdays, small water, and rivers till November.  Good luck, be safe, and live to fish another day!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than for a tournament, I fish on weekdays and avoid the idiots on the water.

 

As for others invading your space, it happens all the time. Other than to cast into their boat there is really nothing you can do to stop it.

 

Of course you can move your boat to block them; throw something in the water to scare the fish away and then go elsewhere; have a shotgun in plain sight and smile at them as they get closer; go in a circle with your boat's motor fully open a few times throwing up a wake in the area before driving off; taking off all of your clothes and grossing them out; or just ask them to back off in a polite manner.

 

I like the taking all of your clothes off as the best deterrent :D.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sam said:

Other than for a tournament, I fish on weekdays and avoid the idiots on the water.

 

As for others invading your space, it happens all the time. Other than to cast into their boat there is really nothing you can do to stop it.

 

Of course you can move your boat to block them; throw something in the water to scare the fish away and then go elsewhere; have a shotgun in plain sight and smile at them as they get closer; go in a circle with your boat's motor fully open a few times throwing up a wake in the area before driving off; taking off all of your clothes and grossing them out; or just ask them to back off in a polite manner.

 

I like the taking all of your clothes off as the best deterrent :D.

Sam, unfortunately, we can't expect other guys to have good fishing manners anymore. Some still have it, some don't.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mobasser said:

Sam, unfortunately, we can't expect other guys to have good fishing manners anymore. Some still have it, some don't.

Why can’t we expect it?  We can’t demand it and we can’t always get it, but I certainly expect good things from other fishermen on the water. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the worst when it comes to people with boats and kayaks. I fish out of a kayak and the boaters think they have the right of way and right to the water. This was on another thread before about how they treat kayak anglers.  For example I was out fishing for 3 hours in the same spot. Doing the same drifts in my kayak. All of a sudden a boat comes out where I have been catching consistently. They are trolling over and all 3 on board start casting in my direction. Literally there lures are hitting the water I would honestly say about 10-20 feet from me. Like seriously ? Go away. Or there has been times where I’m fishing and boats cut me off. And idk if you fish out of a kayak ever but it’s hard to jsut move around whenever. So when they cut me off I’ll just continue to drift and have have close to running into the boat.  Then they get mad at me and tell me to watch it .. sorry I have a paddle instead of a motor 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If someone is in your spot, just take out this bad boy...

 

I introduce to you the EZ-Cutter, it has a sleek weedless design, which will cut all their line so they will need to rig back up as you are still fishing!

 

813800014_Lurescut.PNG.6dec0d573e4081b80339baacc08840c5.PNG

 

 

(Please don't really use this)

Tight Lines,

Martin Sierra

 

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic has been brought up a couple of times in the past.  It seems this only happens when someone doesn't know the other person, so a good solution is to introduce yourself.  Don't have to be angry, don't have to insult or threaten, just go over to them & with a smile on your face, introduce yourself.  Bring up the subject of crowding people, not to lecture them but to find out if they want to keep fishing where you both are or if they were planning on moving on.  Most people are a bit sheepish at this point, when they do something rude to someone else and the reaction is not one of confrontation, but conversation.  The best thing is those folks will never do that to you again, for they now "know" you. 

 

For the small number who want to get into an argument about it, I keep my responses simple.  Usually "Really?" conveys alot, it implies that you know they are aware of what they are trying to get away with.  Asking why they would want to get so close or cut you off (once they decided to make it confrontational) puts them on the defensive.  The person asking the questions has the control, no matter what is said, keep steering it back to asking them to explain their actions and why it is okay.  Always keep calm, smile and avoid trading insults.

 

I have had people cut me off or encroach in the past.  I have never had the same person do it twice, with the exception of this stupid old man who uses his kayak for exercise.  He always paddles around the perimeter of the lake, usually between me & where I am casting and says "you don't own the water" when I ask him why he just did that (again).  So now it is a game, when I see him coming, I start closing in the distance between me & the shoreline, just to force him to go around the outside of me.  He got stubborn once & tried to squeeze between an ever shortening gap and ran into a dock.  I literally started laughing at him as he grumbled about stupid fishermen.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MartinTheFisherman said:

If someone is in your spot, just take out this bad boy...

 

I introduce to you the EZ-Cutter, this will cut all their line so they will need to rig back up as you are still fishing! 

 

813800014_Lurescut.PNG.6dec0d573e4081b80339baacc08840c5.PNG

 

 

(Please don't really use this)

Tight Lines,

Martin Sierra

 

Looks pretty weedless, too.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s honestly ridiculous. I was out last summer on a 6000acre lake at 7pm. I was fishing a spot all by myself and this boy pulls up about 20ft away from me. Like are you serious? Me and you are practically the only ones on the entire lake right now and you have to pull up 20ft away from me? I was fishing the lake the entire day and not once did I see them fishing where I was that night. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of idiots out there with a lack of respect for others and a lack of common sense. I was working my way down a bank today and a boat comes between me and the bank running his big motor. He could clearly see that I was casting towards the bank and there was plenty of room behind me.Then he stops 50 or 60 yards ahead of me and drops his anchor. I was furious and it took everything in me not to say something but I just moved on to another spot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is NO spot worth me getting into a fight or worse shot over. If someone comes into a spot where I am, I will just let them have it and find another one. When I was in my 20's I would have for sure had some unpleasant things to say, glad I have outgrown that stage lol.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the reasons I like to fish in the rain, and in colder weather. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ksam1234 said:

This is the worst when it comes to people with boats and kayaks. I fish out of a kayak and the boaters think they have the right of way and right to the water. This was on another thread before about how they treat kayak anglers.  For example I was out fishing for 3 hours in the same spot. Doing the same drifts in my kayak. All of a sudden a boat comes out where I have been catching consistently. They are trolling over and all 3 on board start casting in my direction. Literally there lures are hitting the water I would honestly say about 10-20 feet from me. Like seriously ? Go away. Or there has been times where I’m fishing and boats cut me off. And idk if you fish out of a kayak ever but it’s hard to jsut move around whenever. So when they cut me off I’ll just continue to drift and have have close to running into the boat.  Then they get mad at me and tell me to watch it .. sorry I have a paddle instead of a motor 

 

I had 2 yaks do that to me last week..  The first one did stay to the outside of me but he was only about 30' from me when he passed quietly...  I thought it rude but as quiet as he was I just bit my tongue and nodded at him as he nodded at me as he passed..   But later on that day this jerk in his bright yellow yak parked it like 50' feet away and I could tell he was testing me as he kept creeping closer.   I think I would have swamped him had it not been for about 20 people on shore that would have been witnesses.  So I just kicked the trolling motor down shore and this idiot started following me..!!!     I think he thought better when I stopped in a cove and couldn't go any further and turned around.  It wasn't long when another yak  parked it about the same distance from him and began fishing. 

 

To me it's not about what you're fishing in...  I feel fortunate I was able to find my boat for what I could afford otherwise I'd be in a little jon boat or something.     I mean just because you are catching fish doesn't mean I will if I crowd you..  in fact I feel the opposite will happen and neither boats will catch anything at that point.     But I'm also seeing guys with your bigger more expensive bass boats have that I've got a better boat than you so I'm going to do what I want attitude...  

 

I just want to fish in peace.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the days where no one cussed, no one cheated and everyone married their soulmates..there’s always been _____s out there and will always be. 

Hell, Noah got into it at the boat ramp for taking to long to load..

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose I'll represent the other side here. I have been canoe and kayak fishing for 5 years, and since I live on a lake, I likely get out way more often than most here, and I can't think of a single negative incident with a boater, another kayaker, really nothing. I haven't had any lake owners hassle me either.

 

I know it happens. My next door neighbor's son, with his dad on board fishing in the high school Regionals a few years ago, got hassled by a boathouse owner on Lake Palestine. I saw the video. So did the game warden!

 

Today, I was out for a very long day, stopped and chatted with 3 or 4 boaters, all just as friendly as can be as we passed each other, shared stories, etc. Too, some dude at the ramp as I was putting my kayak in was enamored with it so I gave him a quick primer on the advantages of kayak fishing. He was a bank angler fishing off the pier.

 

So far, so good!

 

Brad

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Brad Reid said:

I suppose I'll represent the other side here. I have been canoe and kayak fishing for 5 years, and since I live on a lake, I likely get out way more often than most here, and I can't think of a single negative incident with a boater, another kayaker, really nothing. I haven't had any lake owners hassle me either.

 

I know it happens. My next door neighbor's son, with his dad on board fishing in the high school Regionals a few years ago, got hassled by a boathouse owner on Lake Palestine. I saw the video. So did the game warden!

 

Today, I was out for a very long day, stopped and chatted with 3 or 4 boaters, all just as friendly as can be as we passed each other, shared stories, etc. Too, some dude at the ramp as I was putting my kayak in was enamored with it so I gave him a quick primer on the advantages of kayak fishing. He was a bank angler fishing off the pier.

 

So far, so good!

 

Brad

Your lucky then.. I love and only fish out of my kayak but for some reason boaters arkund here just always look down on me. Last year we had some guys come up from Virginia to fish for pre spawn smallmouth. They always come here I feel like. The two men kept staring at me as I paddled and they mumbled some words. Then they  noticed I was catching 3:1 for every fish they got. And instead of politely comming to talk they shout over to me and said hey” kayak boy” what are you using. So my response was hey boating boy I’m using lures hahha. Not everyone is that way but I feel like it’s a 50/50 split 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal rule for space between people, whether it's bank, kayak, boat or any mix of the three is two casting lengths. If you guys can cast at each other and cross lines someone got too close. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crappie are spawning here right now. Those guys and the people when they stock trout early in the year are the worst. I got cut off and had guys park boats right next to me half a dozen times Thursday like they couldn't even see my boat. As much as I'd love to say something, it's not worth it and I just move on. Too many crazy people to get into with anyone on the water over a fishing spot. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't say a word to them. They figure out that i had a problem after the 8th,9th, or 10th donut just shy of  planing. Sometimes I just pickup my swimbait rod a throw 6 ounce lures next to them over and over until they move on . I as others have stated I fish big lakes only at night or winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GreenPig said:

I don't say a word to them. They figure out that i had a problem after the 8th,9th, or 10th donut just shy of  planing. Sometimes I just pickup my swimbait rod a throw 6 ounce lures next to them over and over until they move on . I as others have stated I fish big lakes only at night or winter.

I would much rather have someone tell me they are upset with me for being so close to them and explain why. Throwing a lure at me with a couple treble hooks on it, now we are getting a little bit into the threatening side. Just because someone is close to you doesn't give you the right to cast at them. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jbsoonerfan said:

I would much rather have someone tell me they are upset with me for being so close to them and explain why. Throwing a lure at me with a couple treble hooks on it, now we are getting a little bit into the threatening side. Just because someone is close to you doesn't give you the right to cast at them. 

I would much rather have someone tell me they are upset with me for being so close to them and explain why. Throwing a lure at me with a couple treble hooks on it, now we are getting a little bit into the threatening side. Just because someone is close to you doesn't give you the right to cast at them. 

I never said cast at them. I said next to them. Don't get me wrong if you come in fish behind me and stay 80 to 100 yards away I'd never have a problem.  If you trolled right up to me and introduced yourself I'd even tell you what I've caught and what I'm using but if you think you're gonna push me down the bank I'll hit spot lock and hang out. I always try to be a nice guy. Some people just won't let me. It's seems to be mostly spring/fair weather boaters. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Times are changing...attitudes are changing...the good ol days are just that...the good ol days.  Weather I golf, fish, or hunt or even try to go for a walk in the neighbor hood it can be a challenge.

We wear orange when hunting to be seen....well other's see us and figure that must be a good area so....that spot was good once!!!  Golfing used to be a bit more friendly...now curiosity is a lot out the window...hardly anyone will let you move through and they don't want to fix their ball marks on greens either as much.  Walking in the neighbor hood and trying to enjoy nature and say a few friendly hello's is usually interrupted by some body's dog "who has never bit anyone" chasing your %$#@.  Fishing...well...you've all answered this....it's both sides...bank, all boaters....list goes on.  

We could go on and on and on in all areas of life...thing is we just seem to need broader shoulders now.  After all we must be tolerant and politically correct...right!!!

:(

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oregon Native said:

Times are changing...attitudes are changing...the good ol days are just that...the good ol days.

 

It's called respect...it aint taught no more!  😉

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just 2 weeks ago I had a guy do this to me and my brother.  We had just started fishing this narrow canal, another boat arrives about 2 minutes later. He comes down off plane motors past us while we are trolling.  He motored about 25 yards ahead, shut off his engine and started trolling the same shoreline we were trolling. Then to add to it, not 30 seconds later, another boat comes flying down the canal and doesn't start slowing down till he is almost even with my boat, so we got the full 2500rpm wave action from that guy.  He claimed he didn't see us, but this canal is only about 40 yards wide, I guess he needs glasses.  We didn't really say anything to either boat, I think my brother kind of sarcastically said "thanks" to the 2500 waker, but that was about it.  It was an interesting way to start the day.

 

P.S.- The guy that cut in front never caught any fish from what I could tell.  So that made me feel better.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...