Jump to content

Which bass would you choose and why?


Recommended Posts

  • Super User
8 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Snook are arguably the greatest fish pound for pound to catch.  Difficult to catch.

 

Not if you drop a big sardine down to them. They have really big ones down in Central America, and yes, they are delicious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
9 minutes ago, TnRiver46 said:

Which is why I chose none of the fish in your OP 

Wonder if they are still holding onto that $1m

Bassin mag & BBWC went bankrupt.

Tom

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
5 minutes ago, Deleted account said:

 

Not if you drop a big sardine down to them. They have really big ones down in Central America, and yes, they are delicious.

I let a live pin fish swim in front of one for a week at a house we rented, the snook followed it everywhere it went but never chomped 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
6 minutes ago, TnRiver46 said:

I let a live pin fish swim in front of one for a week at a house we rented, the snook followed it everywhere it went but never chomped 

 

LOL. There are fish cleaning table "techniques" for that...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
2 minutes ago, Deleted account said:

 

LOL. There are fish cleaning table "techniques" for that...

Some guy suggested I paddle my canoe by some dock lights after dark. I wanted to catch a snook but not that bad hahaha. Ocean after dark in a canoe??? Sheesh 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2023 at 9:32 AM, Bankc said:

Oh, bring on the haters!  I'm completely fine with that.  If I cared what other people thought, I'd have never made it out of high school!  So long as I have the love and respect of my family and a few close friends, the rest is just white noise.  

This! I’d go with the largemouth and would be more than happy to give the Mr. Tony salute to anyone who gave me a hard time about it. 
 I have about a half dozen people whose opinions matter to me. Outside of them I couldn’t care less. It makes me chuckle when someone says ‘I don’t mean to hurt your feelings, but…’ The vast majority of people don’t have the ability to hurt my feelings. 
 

Oh, and getting back on topic, I’d want this magical largemouth to come out of NY. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

@KSanford33, if I called you Mr. Poopy, I'm pretty sure that would hurt your feelings. Heck, it would hurt everyone's feelings! 

 

Seriously, I like your approach to life. Narrow your focus to proven commodities. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ol'crickety said:

@KSanford33, if I called you Mr. Poopy, I'm pretty sure that would hurt your feelings. Heck, it would hurt everyone's feelings! 

 

Seriously, I like your approach to life. Narrow your focus to proven commodities. 

So this post will start pretty dark, but it'll make sense as I go.

 

You're right. No one likes being called names. But it doesn't affect me. In 2002, my Dad passed away. I had the misfortune of his funeral being on my birthday. Four years later my Grandmom passed away. She was the most important person in my life. I never thought that those two events would eventually be blessings in a way, but they've become that to me. Because I know what bad days are now. So when someone calls me a name or cuts me off in traffic or whatever it is, I don't think it has the effect on me that it may have on other people. These things don't make bad days. I feel like my spectrum of emotions has shifted towards the positive since I've come to terms with the actual bad things that have happened. It just makes you realize that 99% of the things people get upset about don't amount to a hill of beans.

 

I apologize for the darkness of this post, but if I could catch a world record fish at the cost of some people being less than friendly to me, that's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2023 at 1:58 AM, WRB said:

FLMB 25 lbs because I have been chasing it most of my life!

Tom

this and nothing else comes close..........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i would pick the smallmouth, for the fight, and the beauty of them.  i actually held the record smallie for my state in my hands, back in 88 or 89. i slipped on a rock, and fell into the river.  i lost the fish AND the rod.   such is life. i fish that spot regularly since then, and i've never caught another big fish there since. 

 

i think if i did catch a world record smallie here at my fishin hole, i would take a pic of her on my scale, and 2 more pics with the tape showing length and girth.  then i'd let her go and hope she survived to breed again. i don't need/want the attention it would bring, both to me and the fishin hole.  but it would be nice to put a picture like that on the wall of my living room.  just to have a record that i did something noteworthy would be nice, but the memory of that day, and the fight, would be all the reward necessary for me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
16 minutes ago, cheezyridr said:

i would pick the smallmouth, for the fight, and the beauty of them.  i actually held the record smallie for my state in my hands, back in 88 or 89. i slipped on a rock, and fell into the river.  i lost the fish AND the rod.   such is life. i fish that spot regularly since then, and i've never caught another big fish there since. 

 

Gosh, that's a heartbreaking story. Well, at least you landed her. Did you have a chance to weigh or measure her? 

 

I like your plan should you catch another record fish.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where i live it would be impossible to catch a world record lm,sm or redeye, so it never even crosses my mind. But, if i did, i hope it was a sm. But i think a lm would render more notoriety in the fishing world. The average Joe or Joan aren't gonna get rich with a world record. I hope these records get broken by a pre-teen boy or girl on a worm they dug up and on a cane pole.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my experience fishing the Susquehanna for SM, they are more active fighters than LM in a lake. My guess is because a SM deals with current all the time and is not at the top of the food chain with muskies as neighbors. A LM in a lake is at the top of the food chain in the lakes I've fished and may be fat and lazy compared to a SM, but again, that's my experience and others might disagree. I would therefore like to catch the record SM over a LM for that reason.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ol'crickety said:

 

Gosh, that's a heartbreaking story. Well, at least you landed her. Did you have a chance to weigh or measure her? 

 

I like your plan should you catch another record fish.

 

no, i had liplocked her in my left hand, pole in my right hand. i was standing on a rock that was about 10' off the bank. to get there, you had to hop out to it from other rocks.  it was mossy, and i slipped when i turned around, and went backwards into the crick. kinda like "the nestea plunge" if you remember that commercial. hahaha

the plan was to go back to my car and get a 5 gallon bucket, put some water in it, take the fish to a scale, and try to get her back to the river alive.  it didn't work out that way though.

by my estimate, it was well over 6 lbs. maybe even 7.  

she had toyed with me for a few days.  i was fishing a white spinnerbait in a little pool on the other side of the crick. when it would come out of the pool,  the harder current would swing it up and over a big rock.  as it rose to the surface i would reel it back in quickly to make another cast. a few times, just as it swung over the rock, a huge black shape would come up behind it. i caught one about 2 ½ lbs,  and as soon as i hooked it, the big girl was right behind it. i kept fishing that spot, and she would rise but not take it.  eventually she committed, and fought back like mike tyson.  that section of the river, to my back were some condos. no one fished there but me.  but i suppose people were watching, because the next day, there were 3 people there trying their best.  i'm pretty happy i got to have that experience,  and (now) i'm glad that fish escaped.  who knows? maybe one of her offspring will rise  and say hello someday?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
23 minutes ago, cheezyridr said:

 

no, i had liplocked her in my left hand, pole in my right hand. i was standing on a rock that was about 10' off the bank. to get there, you had to hop out to it from other rocks.  it was mossy, and i slipped when i turned around, and went backwards into the crick. kinda like "the nestea plunge" if you remember that commercial. hahaha

the plan was to go back to my car and get a 5 gallon bucket, put some water in it, take the fish to a scale, and try to get her back to the river alive.  it didn't work out that way though.

by my estimate, it was well over 6 lbs. maybe even 7.  

she had toyed with me for a few days.  i was fishing a white spinnerbait in a little pool on the other side of the crick. when it would come out of the pool,  the harder current would swing it up and over a big rock.  as it rose to the surface i would reel it back in quickly to make another cast. a few times, just as it swung over the rock, a huge black shape would come up behind it. i caught one about 2 ½ lbs,  and as soon as i hooked it, the big girl was right behind it. i kept fishing that spot, and she would rise but not take it.  eventually she committed, and fought back like mike tyson.  that section of the river, to my back were some condos. no one fished there but me.  but i suppose people were watching, because the next day, there were 3 people there trying their best.  i'm pretty happy i got to have that experience,  and (now) i'm glad that fish escaped.  who knows? maybe one of her offspring will rise  and say hello someday?

 

I sure hope one of her off-spring wallops one of your lures! Thanks for sharing the story. I love how you knew she was there and spent days enticing a strike. 

 

I have a similar story: The first time a member of my family swung a 20-lb. pike into the boat (I netted it!), my father and grandfather were so happy that they sunk the boat, lost the fish, and a lot of tackle.

 

I was watching the second season of "39 hours" and when one of the Manitoba twins hooked a monster brown trout, the other twin coached him to stay calm. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2023 at 11:28 PM, ol'crickety said:

A largemouth bass that weighs about 27.875 lbs.

You might be a rich man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Super User

I know this is not technically a bass, but living where I do we catch these everyday.  You catch them on bass baits, and when you do, you know immediately it not a bass.  PEACOCKS BASS are the pitbulls of the freshwater world.  They were introduced by the Florida  Fish and Game to control an out of control exotic aquarium fish releases, like Oscars, and Mayans.  They tested the introduction of Peacocks in landlocked small waters, and found that Peas and Black Bass could exist in the same waters, without problems.  This gave us a unique fishery that Florida Fisherman could Exploit.  Pound for pound they are real treat to fight, with rock hard hits, airobotic jumps and very long runs at speed.  They love warm water, bright sunny days, the higher the sun the better, and super fast surface lures.  No need to get up early to catch these guys.  They react much like a saltwater snook once hooked.  We are very fortunate to have this fish as part of our daily catches.  All without having to go to South America.  Cold weather will keep them from spreading further north of their present range, which is Palm Beach County.  I hope some of you have an opportunity to hook a decent size Pea, you will never forget it !

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, thediscochef said:

Oooo zombieposting

 

LM, for the clout and the fact that any fish over 20lbs on standard bass gear is an entirely different kind of fishing altogether

 

airplanecollage1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I think I could milk more money out of the LMB. I’ll choose that one. 
 

my luck?  My scale would be accidental set on metric and I would let the 13 go thinking I just cracked a teener!:)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • fishing reel

    fishing forum

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.