Burke

Whats with this crazy rods colors ? Neon Green, Orange, White or Yellow ??

*Rant mode on*

Did I tell you that I really hate WHITE RODS ? 

Just learned that Green is the New Black  is the new fad from one of the company that is showing at the icast show.   

pic13fishingfate5.jpg

Why cant those rod builders just keep it simple like Black, Blue or Gray ..nothing else ? Its just like screaming for attention with those neon colors or whatever. 

Did I mention that I really hate WHITE RODS ? 

*rant mode off* 

Hope everyone had a great day :)

• Like 1

I'm not much for those colors, but I do like white rods 

Not a fan of white rods either, but between white and that green in the picture you posted I'll take white every time.  :puke1:

• Like 2

Millennials need bling, loud splashes of color to hold their attention even long enough to spend money! :D

Have you seen the color of the Winn grips and body on the new Lews reels.  It is almost like a burnt orange.  It actually looks cool. You should be able to have it stand out in a dark rod locker.

• Like 5

My other hobby  soccer. When i was growing up anybody who played in black leather boots was respected, you automatically knew they were good players. Now its hard to find a pair of black boots. I go to soccer stores to only find pink, neon green, orange and yellow boots. Its what the kids like now. I refuse to wear those and i pay a more money just to get me some black boots

I kinda like the different colored grips & some red or blue rods!

57482-142484.jpg

download (10).jpg

• Like 1

I really like the Kistler Rods Zbone unpainted rod blanks. They simply sand the blank. No orange, neon, white, or other clown colors for me. Of course, I'm old so I like simple black. It's like a beautiful woman in a classic black dress.

I have a lot of blue rods, not because of the color, I just really like the rods. 

• Like 1

The last thing I care about is the rod color as long as it's a good rod.

• Like 3

I blame Skeet.

• Like 1

IDK, it seems to be more of a generational thing @Burke, I'm with you, I kinda like the muted colors myself. My son who doesn't fish much with me anymore, he's more into Little League Baseball now would go shopping with me for a baseball bat and would immediately gravitate towards the neon colored selections.

A lot of companies are trying to cater to the younger class of angler.  I think it's great.  I don't necessarily like some of the color combos that are out there but I don't mind a little flair.  There's still plenty of boring old rods out there...just look at the new Curado rod line. lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raul said:

The last thing I care about is the rod color as long as it's a good rod.

Normally I don't care much either and will put a green Curado on a purple Powell, but some colors are hard to stomach no matter how good the rod.  A guy has to draw the line somewhere.  :lol:

Two words: Brand Recognition

If the target customer sees TV pros or other anglers fishing with particular gear, they are more likely to recognize those products on store shelves or online if there is something distinct about it.  That’s not so much the case for all the generic, black/grey/cork rods, although functionally those products may be just fine.

I was at an outdoors show this year where Carrot Stix rods were being offered at some kind of discount; lots of folks were buying.  By the end of the day, having all those people walking around with the bright orange rods in bright orange sleeves would have been tremendous marketing for them; it was pretty clear to make the connection to the booth where all these folks were buying rods.

The trade-off is that some customers will be turned off by the loud colors.  But generally all these companies offer muted-color options too.

• Like 1

. . . and all those car colors!  We only need black!  :-)

Rod makers did this in the late 80s - early 90s.  It's just the current trend.  Agreed, they're ugly, and I don't like telegraphing my fishing to the entire world.

• Like 1

My 1960 freshwater casting rod is white. I suppose I was a trend setter. ;)

I have to admit that I would use it every summer for small black sea bass and those little inch long sections of bloodworm we used for bottom bait on #4 hooks would make a mess of the rod if I wasn't careful.

John

15 hours ago, fishnkamp said:

Millennials need bling, loud splashes of color to hold their attention even long enough to spend money! :D

Have you seen the color of the Winn grips and body on the new Lews reels.  It is almost like a burnt orange.  It actually looks cool. You should be able to have it stand out in a dark rod locker.

Lews did a good job on those. 

2 hours ago, Jigfishn10 said:

he's more into Little League Baseball now would go shopping with me for a baseball bat and would immediately gravitate towards the neon colored selections.

Off topic, but the last thing a kid should do is pick out their own baseball bat until they're at least 14 or 15 years old, maybe older if they don't have a feel for hitting. I coach kids 6-16 and every year I see kids with bats that are too heavy, too light, too long, or too short and the kids struggle. Then we put the correct bat in their hands and their hitting improves immensely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koz said:

Off topic, but the last thing a kid should do is pick out their own baseball bat until they're at least 14 or 15 years old, maybe older if they don't have a feel for hitting. I coach kids 6-16 and every year I see kids with bats that are too heavy, too light, too long, or too short and the kids struggle. Then we put the correct bat in their hands and their hitting improves immensely.

:) No offense taken...:)...And I appreciate your comment and insight on the subject, but we know exactly the size and weight bat he needs prior to purchasing. His job is to pick the color he wants. I've been coaching since t-ball and have seen the same horror show you're referring to. :)

I prefer the blank to be a darker, flatter color, I very much love super bright/loud highlights and hardware.