Jump to content

Recommended Posts

What is the general consensus on dobyns rods ?  I have always been a st. Croix fan but I have heard great things about dobyns .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this site has a strong fan base for Dobyns Rods.

 

Dobyns has excellent unwaivering customer service which has been an important driver of their reputation.

 

The rods are well-balanced and well-built for the price point(s).

 

A common (but infrequent) “complaint” about them is that they are not the most “sensitive” rods available, but that is a matter of personal opinion.

 

I personally have several Dobyns Rods and plan to replace them with Dobyns Rods of ever necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would you compare dobyns rods with st . Croix rods ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have multiple St croix LTBs and one champion XP that I am currently selling. In my opinion, the Champion is nowhere near as sensitive or strong as the LTBs. Only a bit lighter. I've heard great things about their Fury series though for a 100$ rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bearsfan67205 said:

How would you compare dobyns rods with st . Croix rods ?

The only st croix and dobyns I've been able to compare are the Furies to the Mojo Bass, the mojo bass is definetly a lot stiffer and has a faster action. Both are quality rods and you cant go wrong with either. In the end I think id still go with the Dobyns just because I prefer their actions and balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally love them. One of the best balanced rods on the market in my opinion and very comfortable to fish. 

 

As far as sensitivity, it depends on the model you choose. The champion extreme and champion series are going to be your most sensitive models and should handle most of your bottom contact presentations. The sierra, saavy, and fury are a tier below in sensitivity, but by no means bad rods. 

 

I mostly fish the champion line of rods since I unfortunately cannot afford an arsenal of $350 rods. They have been plenty sensitive for my needs and I do not feel that I am missing out on any bites.

I also really enjoy the rod actions/tapers and I truly believe I lose less fish on these rods than any other I’ve owned. 

 

Great warranty as well.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a St. Croix fanboy but I have two Dobyns, both Sierras, 702S and 734C. I've not fished with them yet but both are well made, lightweight and great looking. I highly recommend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to be a st. Croix homer as well .  I have several mojos , an avid , and a legend tourney .  I would love to give dobyns a shot but I live in Kansas and dealers are non existent .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im currently replacing all my rods for dobyns. They have a good warranty and really enjoy fishing their sticks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been a huge St. Croix fan for a couple decades... but have recently traded off or sold all my MH and Heavy SC rods including LTB, AvidX, etc.  As an ML or Medium they are light and balanced enough.  They also have very good sensitivity.  However, to me anything over a Medium in SC is unusually heavy and poorly balanced (tip heavy).  I was in denial for years but after picking up friends similarly priced rods in Kistler, ALX, Megabass, Daiwa, Dobyns - I was surprised at the difference.  Now I own all the above mentioned rods instead.  An expensive conversion but worth it to me. 

 

Dobyns is one of the absolute best balanced rods on the market.  I can flip a Heavy all day without fatigue, really like the rod.  As someone mentioned above, Dobyns are known to be only “average” in terms of sensitivity... For flipping is fine, but I think you would find many St. Croix’s or the other rods I mentioned a bit more sensitive for finesse or bottom contact - there I’d give the edge to St. Croix if those are the only two rod brands you’re considering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My moving baits are dobyns champion (705C, 734C and 736C Glass) since I love the way it balance with my zillion 100HA or 100SHA. it just fits right. 

 

The rest are NRX and LTB. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been fishing Dobyns for six years now.  I can find a model to cover any need I have in a choice of six different series.  St Croix makes a quality rod and I've owned several over the years. The grips are way to short and don't like skeleton reel seats.  I think Dobyns are better balanced.  The service has been second to none for me.  I have not had a single failure to date ( knock on wood ). The way Dobyns rods fish, fits my style.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both St Croix and Dobyn's are excellent companies with good customer service.  Dobyns is a smaller family owned rod business specializing in fresh water bass rods and Gary Dobyns is or was a professional bass angler who knows his products.

Bass rods I give Dobyns the edge for off the self bass rods. 

I use whatever rod suits my needs with no loyalty to any one rod maker as long as their customer service is responsive and honest I am happy.

For custom biult rods I use ALX, before that Lamiglas until they got out of the custom bass rod business. 

My suggestion is try a rod if possible before switching to any company, it's your rod at the end of day.

If you look in my rod locker there are;Dobyns, Fenwick, Lamiglas, G.Loomis, ALX, Major Craft, Phenix, Irod, each is perfect for how I use them.

Tom

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dobyns are great moving bait rods and very comfortable to fish. They have really nice soft tips. St. Croix really excels in spinning rods and their sweet spot is in lighter powers. I’ve sold all my St. Croix over medium. Their only casting rod I have left is a jerkbait rod that I absolutely love. I’ve transitioned most of my heavier casting rods to kistler and falcons 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a Sierra 703 spinning rod that sits in the closet and rarely if ever gets used anymore (it was extremely tip heavy). I have fished most major brands from $250 and under and imo for an off the shelf rod nothing comes close to the ALX Zolo line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dirtyeggroll said:

I think this site has a strong fan base for Dobyns Rods.

Not sure why BR doesn't send out a Fury with a Tatula mounted on it, spooled with YZH and a 1/2 oz Cavitron tied on to new members when they first register... :) 

  • Like 9
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First baitcasting rod was a st croix bass X, something about it just didn't feel right to me, sold it to a local in a week. Fast forward to today, i have multiple dobyns rods ranging from fury to champions. Havent found anything better, love how they feel and they catch me fish lol. At the end of the day, both companys are fantastic, just boils down to which one feels better in your hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since there isn't a dealer in the area, I would fish what you know as you are familiar with St Croix especially if you are pleased with the rods. Dobyns power ratings is about 1/2 to 1 power off what I am use to. However, St Croix is my preference of the two. Dobyns makes good rods but sensitivity wise I prefer others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LegendaryBassin said:

Since there isn't a dealer in the area, I would fish what you know as you are familiar with St Croix especially if you are pleased with the rods. Dobyns power ratings is about 1/2 to 1 power off what I am use to. However, St Croix is my preference of the two. Dobyns makes good rods but sensitivity wise I prefer others. 

I agree. Remember also that St Croix actually manufacturers there own blanks in Wisconsin and blanks for there budget rods in there facility in Fresnillo, Mexico. Dobyns is sourcing blanks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Stephen B said:

I agree. Remember also that St Croix actually manufacturers there own blanks in Wisconsin and blanks for there budget rods in there facility in Fresnillo, Mexico. Dobyns is sourcing blanks. 

Often over looked but good point. I tend to prefer rods from companies who are making the blanks in house such as Phenix, ALX, and St Croix. General rule is most companies who make their own blanks will sell you just the blank or the finished rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just purchased 3 Dobyns Fury rods. Haven't fished them yet but mounted my reel and the rods seemed very well balanced. I went with the Fury's due to some budget restrictions and got a great deal on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dobyns have been great for me for close to a decade now. Throughout all the lines the balance is incredible and all the rods are built on the spline. With the exception of the swimbait rods none of the rods have fore grips or exposed threads unlike some of the lines St Croix offers. I’ll give ya quick rundown to get you started if your interested in checking some out.

 

The Colt and the Fury lines are the entry levels. Fury you get cork, and a wider selection of powers and actions. 

 

The Sierra formerly the Savvy Series steps you up to Fuji guides and a better blank. More of a moderate taper to all the rods. A lot of multi species guys like this line. 

 

The Champion was recently revamped as the XP line. Should be MP line cause it’s the Meat n Potatoes of the brand. LOL You get a better blank, rod options including full length cork handle and a plethora of powers and actions as well as glass rods. Also there’s a huge selection of CB ‘crankbait’ rods. 

 

The Extreme also recently revamped to the HP line. Really steps up in the blank department. All the techniques you really need great sensitivity for are in this line, finesse and bottom contact. 

 

Xtasy is the tippy top shelf lineup. The only rods in the line up I haven’t had the chance to fish yet. They step up to a superior blank and torzite guides. 

 

Its been a long time since I’ve fished with a St Croix but I do know they’ve made a lot of changes in recent years, to a few of their lines. I’m sure others will chime in with info for ya. But to speak from experience the Dobyns warranty system is fantastic, customer service is great to deal with, and they’re always available to help people select rods. I know a couple guys up here have called in and asked for recommendations on specific techniques and got pointed in the right direction. Anyone new to Dobyns I recommend the Champion 734C it’s a lot of people’s favorite “do everything” rod. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 4:14 PM, dam0007 said:

Dobyns have been great for me for close to a decade now. Throughout all the lines the balance is incredible and all the rods are built on the spline. With the exception of the swimbait rods none of the rods have fore grips or exposed threads unlike some of the lines St Croix offers. I’ll give ya quick rundown to get you started if your interested in checking some out.

 

The Colt and the Fury lines are the entry levels. Fury you get cork, and a wider selection of powers and actions. 

 

The Sierra formerly the Savvy Series steps you up to Fuji guides and a better blank. More of a moderate taper to all the rods. A lot of multi species guys like this line. 

 

The Champion was recently revamped as the XP line. Should be MP line cause it’s the Meat n Potatoes of the brand. LOL You get a better blank, rod options including full length cork handle and a plethora of powers and actions as well as glass rods. Also there’s a huge selection of CB ‘crankbait’ rods. 

 

The Extreme also recently revamped to the HP line. Really steps up in the blank department. All the techniques you really need great sensitivity for are in this line, finesse and bottom contact. 

 

Xtasy is the tippy top shelf lineup. The only rods in the line up I haven’t had the chance to fish yet. They step up to a superior blank and torzite guides. 

 

Its been a long time since I’ve fished with a St Croix but I do know they’ve made a lot of changes in recent years, to a few of their lines. I’m sure others will chime in with info for ya. But to speak from experience the Dobyns warranty system is fantastic, customer service is great to deal with, and they’re always available to help people select rods. I know a couple guys up here have called in and asked for recommendations on specific techniques and got pointed in the right direction. Anyone new to Dobyns I recommend the Champion 734C it’s a lot of people’s favorite “do everything” rod. 

I can't speak to everything but I do own a St Croix Mojo Bass and a Dobyn's Fury. This post is right on. I prefer the feel of the Dobyn's (softer, better balance) but the Mojo bass may excel for finesse due to it's stiffer tip. For this reason I have Dobyn's for baitcasting and Mojo Bass for M and ML spinning. The other advantage for the St Croix Mojo bass is the shorter handle when Kayak fishing. If I could only choose one brand it would be Dobyn's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 9:53 AM, Bearsfan67205 said:

How would you compare dobyns rods with st . Croix rods ?

A couple years ago I bought a Dobyns Champion 702.  This was before they upgraded the the blue label Champion to the XP.   It took roughly 5 minutes throwing a shakey head on a gravel bottom while comparing it to my Avid 7 mlxf to realize that the Dobyns was the lighter, more sensitive rod.  I had the same exact line and shakey head and I had all the variables the same to have as much of a controlled comparison as possible.  Granted, the Dobyns was $50 or so dollars more but the difference in performance was well worth the cost IMO.  I now have 5 Dobyns spinning rods and have sold all my Avid spinning rods.  I also have several Dobyns casting rods as well and they are excellent.

 

To me, the Champion XP is all the rod I need.  I have a couple HP and the $100 extra cost is not worth it.  And while you didn't ask for it, my 703 Champion casting rod compares very closely to my 843 GLX in terms of sensitivity and weight.  Definitely the better value of the two.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Junk Fisherman said:

A couple years ago I bought a Dobyns Champion 702.  This was before they upgraded the the blue label Champion to the XP.   It took roughly 5 minutes throwing a shakey head on a gravel bottom while comparing it to my Avid 7 mlxf to realize that the Dobyns was the lighter, more sensitive rod.  I had the same exact line and shakey head and I had all the variables the same to have as much of a controlled comparison as possible.  Granted, the Dobyns was $50 or so dollars more but the difference in performance was well worth the cost IMO.  I now have 5 Dobyns spinning rods and have sold all my Avid spinning rods.  I also have several Dobyns casting rods as well and they are excellent.

 

To me, the Champion XP is all the rod I need.  I have a couple HP and the $100 extra cost is not worth it.  And while you didn't ask for it, my 703 Champion casting rod compares very closely to my 843 GLX in terms of sensitivity and weight.  Definitely the better value of the two.  

Interesting, first I've heard of someone saying they preferred the XP to the GLX as far as sensitivity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×