Sign in to follow this  
Bassaholic84

High end rod advice

So my Bps extreme rod broke the other day.  I need to buy a replacement.  My other rod is a Powell max and i am planning on buying a high end rod.  The three I'm thinking of now are

1. G loomis MBR IMX

2. St. Croix Legend Tournament

3. Dobyns Champion series

If anyone has any other suggestions or experience with any of these or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a BCR 893 GLX that I use for t-rigs,weightless, wacky, and drop shot. This is the first high end rod that I have used and I am blown away by its performance. It is very light and super sensetive. I could not be more please with its performance.

I have also heard very good things about the new Dobyns rods.

Kistler Helium LTA

x2. this is a great rod for the money. I have the 6'9APC for sale.........190.00 to your door. Wink :) Wink!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a Kistler LTX 7'6 Telescoping Heavy action that I would like to trade for a 7' MH or 7' H LTX....... ::)

Kistler Helium LTA

x2. this is a great rod for the money. I have the 6'9APC for sale.........190.00 to your door. Wink :) Wink!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a Kistler LTX 7'6 Telescoping Heavy action that I would like to trade for a 7' MH or 7' H LTX....... ::)

Try putting this in the Flea Market were it belongs.......

Out of these two rods i would go with the IMX as i have them both. The Legend Elite is a better price comparison to the IMX and i would go with it over both.

Go custom, have it built the way you want it.

I just had a Chaos custom rod made up, really nice $150.

Dobyns rod over the IMX for me any day. I had a GLX that I got rid of for another Dobyns rod. The front cork I cannot stand, and for the price they just didn't do it for me. The IMX rods just don't do it for me, at that price range.

I don't have much experience with the St Croix, but I do have two friends that had them. One of which sold all of his St Croix Legends and replaced them with Dobyns. Then another one who is in the process of doing so.

I own several St Croix Legend Tournaments, and they are my choice. Made in the USA, as are the Loomis's can't go wrong with either IMHO

Dobyn's............please $300 for a "made in china" rod, with non-fuji guides, and a $60 replacment charge, which is $10 MORE than Croix or Loomis. Not to mention the first run of rods which tanked because of poor quality. I would be VERY leary of spending any of my $$ on a rod with his name on it till they can prove they can make more than one batch of rods that won't fall apart.

i am under the impression that chaos isnt currently making rods for anyone...?

Another vote for the Loomis IMX series out of those you've mentioned.  They're fantastic rods, no doubt.

If anyone has any other suggestions or experience with any of these or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

You name it and I probably owned it (Dobyns being the exception, which are highly respected blanks).

Before you make your final decision, take a close look at Okuma Concept C3 (about 50 bucks less than the others).

Roger

i am under the impression that chaos isnt currently making rods for anyone...?

Chaos rods aren't bad but they cater to saltwater.  I have a one left out of two that I bought from them.  I build much better rods than they do(when I was building).

Im REALLY happy with my Carrot Stix, great rod for the money IMHO.

Chaos is shut down for a while, moving back to Miami as I understand it.  I have a friend that has an "in" with them.

For all-around use, and specifically for fishing jigs

and soft plastics, the G. Loomis IMX MBR844C is

what I would recommend.

8-)

I have the small cranker and the jig and worm in the St. Croix LTB, Ive found them to be wonderful rod. Either the IMX or LTB, I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with either one.

In my opinon high end rods are a waste of money when you can go to walmart and but a descent rod for 15 bucks if you are worried about breakage buy three or four and you are still no where near the 100+ dollars you will spend on a rod that is made the same exact way that an inexpensive one is made but if you are a name brand guy go with st. coxi

In my opinon high end rods are a waste of money when you can go to walmart and but a descent rod for 15 bucks if you are worried about breakage buy three or four and you are still no where near the 100+ dollars you will spend on a rod that is made the same exact way that an inexpensive one is made but if you are a name brand guy go with st. coxi

Dude, no offense at all but you clearly don't understand the reasons that people buy high end rods. I don't factor in "breakage" when I'm purchasing a high-end rod. I'm much more concerned with sensitivity, lightness, balance, and the general feel of the rod. If you held a $15 wally-world rod in one hand and a Loomis IMX (or any other higher-end rod) in the other you would see what I mean. And cheaper rods are definitely not made "the same exact way" as $100+ rods. Craftsmanship, component quality, and general aesthetics of the rod are much improved.

I own several St Croix Legend Tournaments, and they are my choice. Made in the USA, as are the Loomis's can't go wrong with either IMHO

Dobyn's............please $300 for a "made in china" rod, with non-fuji guides, and a $60 replacment charge, which is $10 MORE than Croix or Loomis. Not to mention the first run of rods which tanked because of poor quality. I would be VERY leary of spending any of my $$ on a rod with his name on it till they can prove they can make more than one batch of rods that won't fall apart.

Finally, somebody with some since, GEEEEEZ!!!!! I would go with St. Croix or another Powell!