Jump to content

Show off your Stuff


Recommended Posts

  • Super User
9 minutes ago, Msl819 said:

what did you spool it with?  Is it a brake setting issue? line choice issue?

Not sure if there is an issue just yet. It's spooled with 15lb CXX right now. It was also really windy but it is a DC after all right?

If I put it on the wind mode there was no distance at all in the cast. The best settings ended up being internal on mono (N) and external on 3 with no side to side on the spool tension.

The only other DC reels I've used are the Metanium and SLX and they were basically impossible to backlash.

I'm going to do some more in depth testing this weekend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DINK WHISPERER said:

Not sure if there is an issue just yet. It's spooled with 15lb CXX right now. It was also really windy but it is a DC after all right?

If I put it on the wind mode there was no distance at all in the cast. The best settings ended up being internal on mono (N) and external on 3 with no side to side on the spool tension.

The only other DC reels I've used are the Metanium and SLX and they were basically impossible to backlash.

I'm going to do some more in depth testing this weekend. 

Keep me updated.  I’ll be curious to hear your results.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Msl819 said:
10 hours ago, DINK WHISPERER said:

Not sure if there is an issue just yet. It's spooled with 15lb CXX right now. It was also really windy but it is a DC after all right?

If I put it on the wind mode there was no distance at all in the cast. The best settings ended up being internal on mono (N) and external on 3 with no side to side on the spool tension.

The only other DC reels I've used are the Metanium and SLX and they were basically impossible to backlash.

I'm going to do some more in depth testing this weekend. 

Expand  

Keep me updated.  I’ll be curious to hear your results.

I'll be interested too. I was just about to snag one of these as well...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
28 minutes ago, RichF said:

I'll be interested too. I was just about to snag one of these as well...

I'm actually out here right now testing it at work before the wind picks up. From what I can tell it just doesn't like wind at all! It's doing just fine with a light breeze and a 1/4oz tungsten and 10" worm. 

My son and I actually tried it out last night in the yard with a half ounce test plug against his SLX DC and the SLX was casting further by at least 25 ft or so with the same line and rod. 

IMHO unless you want the looks and the smoothness of the micro module gears, I believe the SLX is a much better value. My son wants it so I am going to give it to him and just stick to the Metanium DC that I already have. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad reel AT  ALL. All I'm saying is that if you are in search for best bang for the buck this one isn't it. If you just want it and like nice gear then I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. 

If anyone that has used it feels like I am doing something wrong feel free to PM me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DINK WHISPERER said:

I'm actually out here right now testing it at work before the wind picks up. From what I can tell it just doesn't like wind at all! It's doing just fine with a light breeze and a 1/4oz tungsten and 10" worm. 

My son and I actually tried it out last night in the yard with a half ounce test plug against his SLX DC and the SLX was casting further by at least 25 ft or so with the same line and rod. 

IMHO unless you want the looks and the smoothness of the micro module gears, I believe the SLX is a much better value. My son wants it so I am going to give it to him and just stick to the Metanium DC that I already have. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad reel AT  ALL. All I'm saying is that if you are in search for best bang for the buck this one isn't it. If you just want it and like nice gear then I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. 

If anyone that has used it feels like I am doing something wrong feel free to PM me.

Well dang! Thanks for the heads up. Now I have to reconsider:(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

ok, since I already exposed it here, the rod for my braid-raced 4600C3

My new Smith Super Striker handle - best price on this by far is Amazon.jp - they remove the JDM tax, which happens to be slightly more than DHL Express shipping (only $5 more than standard JP EMS post). 

JZp1Md3.jpg

Asian Portal has stock of 4 different blades, 3 glass and one carbon, and prices less than half of the ebay hoarders. 

N2leASZ.jpg

I picked the FO-56 Top Water Light for my primary application linked above, and will probably go back later for the 6' big-lure-weight carbon blade. 

zan5QO9.jpg

 

Nx70kGF.jpg

 

PWZZUXg.jpg

 

SQGQ4Hg.jpg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Chris Catignani said:

What knobs are they?

They're just Shimano power knobs, I just got used to them and they're so comfortable to me that I even replaced the T knobs that came with my spinners.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DINK WHISPERER said:

This one just came in unexpectedly on a Sunday! I got a stupid good deal on it so couldn't resist. New Zodias 72MH and 17 scorpion DC with some upgrades already. 

20220227_154531.jpg

20220227_154542.jpg

That’s a good looking combo.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Serpent Mound said:

This is what I'm going into 2022 with as a tournament/recreational kayak fisherman. Maybe one or two more.?Screenshot_20220227-211015.thumb.jpg.55b23e5299042487709f134cd631c4bd.jpgScreenshot_20220227-211004.thumb.jpg.6d5889f21a93f02c3a97c7b6eddd553e.jpg

Very nice. I love the handful of SC rods I have. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2022 at 9:12 PM, Serpent Mound said:

This is what I'm going into 2022 with as a tournament/recreational kayak fisherman. Maybe one or two more.?Screenshot_20220227-211015.thumb.jpg.55b23e5299042487709f134cd631c4bd.jpgScreenshot_20220227-211004.thumb.jpg.6d5889f21a93f02c3a97c7b6eddd553e.jpg

How do you like that Mojo Glass?  I'm looking hard at them right now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RichF said:

How do you like that Mojo Glass?  I'm looking hard at them right now.

So far I'm a really big fan. Casting does take a bit to get used to if you're only using graphite normally but it's not too difficult. That's the target cranker model cause I throw a ton of 1.5 squarebills and DT4-8 on river riprap but I've found it handles flatsides and crankbaits in the 10-12 range pretty well. For the price I don't think you can beat it, $160 for a quality glass rod is pretty fantastic in my opinion but I'm biased toward St. Croix obviously. I'm sure dobyns or kistler has a comparable model in a similar price, but I like to keep it all in the same company. Can't speak on them for chatterbaits though. I prefer a carbon MH F for em. Hope this helps.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Serpent Mound said:

So far I'm a really big fan. Casting does take a bit to get used to if you're only using graphite normally but it's not too difficult. That's the target cranker model cause I throw a ton of 1.5 squarebills and DT4-8 on river riprap but I've found it handles flatsides and crankbaits in the 10-12 range pretty well. For the price I don't think you can beat it, $160 for a quality glass rod is pretty fantastic in my opinion but I'm biased toward St. Croix obviously. I'm sure dobyns or kistler has a comparable model in a similar price, but I like to keep it all in the same company. Can't speak on them for chatterbaits though. I prefer a carbon MH F for em. Hope this helps.

 

 

 

 

Great to hear! I have the 7'4 Legend glass and haven't found a better crankin stick. It's awesome.  I was looking at either the 6'10 m or the 7'2 m Mojo for the exact baits you're tossin.  I figured since I only throw small cranks in limited circumstances, I didn't need to throw down another $270 on a crankin stick.  How are the guides?  Are they fairly large?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, RichF said:

Great to hear! I have the 7'4 Legend glass and haven't found a better crankin stick. It's awesome.  I was looking at either the 6'10 m or the 7'2 m Mojo for the exact baits you're tossin.  I figured since I only throw small cranks in limited circumstances, I didn't need to throw down another $270 on a crankin stick.  How are the guides?  Are they fairly large?

Yeah large enough for any sort of connector knots if that's your concern 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as I am aware this should be my last major reel purchase for the year.  I bought this Shimano SLX HG DC in 8:1.  To go on the rod I built a couple months ago 

 

I’ve done a lot of equipment upgrades this year.  A pro revo rocket round reel, a tatula 150, and now this slx dc reel 

 

E8BF40AD-CD7F-4EE0-BEE7-A767F6BD5985.jpeg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2022 at 9:12 PM, Serpent Mound said:

This is what I'm going into 2022 with as a tournament/recreational kayak fisherman. Maybe one or two more.?Screenshot_20220227-211015.thumb.jpg.55b23e5299042487709f134cd631c4bd.jpgScreenshot_20220227-211004.thumb.jpg.6d5889f21a93f02c3a97c7b6eddd553e.jpg

You will like those premier spinning rods.  I’ve got a 7ft UL for trout and panfish and 7ft m/l light for finesse bass fishing.  I live them both.

 

I’ve got a 7ft 4 H bass x I use for heavy flipping and punching that’s ok.  I think their are better rods at the price point though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, NetMan said:

 New combos hot off the press.  Zillion SV TW G paired with Rebellion 7’3 H, Bantam paired with Legend Tournament C Rig rod, Bantam paired with Zodias 7’2 MH, and Tatula Elite P/F on Falcon Expert meat stickspacer.png

Those are sick!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.