Jump to content

Your Dog Knows


Mobasser
Go to solution Solved by casts_by_fly,

Recommended Posts

  • Super User

My old friend Mike lives alone in a nice senior apartment complex not far from me.                              He was talking about getting a dog for quite a while as a companion. I kept telling him it was a great idea.                                   Three months ago, he adopted a terrier named Tuffy. It was obvious that Tuffy had been mistreated. He cowered whenever you tried to pet him, and spent his first month laying around not doing much.                               Now, two months later Tuffy is a new man.        He greets everyone with a wagging tail, and, a happy disposition. He's a great companion for Mike. I asked Mike what he did to get Tuffy to change? His response was, " I was kind to him. I spoke to him in a low voice, gave him plenty of attention, petted him, and gave him good food and a treat here and there.".                It's a fact, and it's what my grandpa taught me as a kid. Always be kind to your dogs. They'll respond to this kind treatment with a trust and loyalty that is second to none.                                          I'm happy to report that Mike has found a great companion, and Tuffy loves his new home.                                          The old lesson has proven to be correct again. You were right grampa. Always be kind to your dogs.

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Positive reinforcement training involves rewarding your dog for the things they do right.

Like sitting next to me as pictured.

large.1829384534_AJTank2.jpg.34bd779fc8450ff4032d5660c0494d21.jpg

The reward could be a toy or a treat.

Whatever your puppy / dog wants to work for.

To some people that sounds like a bribe, not training,

and they want their dog to obey just because they should.

But positive reinforcement training is neither a bribe nor a gimmick.

It’s based on the science of animal learning, and it’s incredibly effective.

I highly recommend doing this with your dog!

:mini-dog-6:

A-Jay

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
5 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

Positive reinforcement training involves rewarding your dog for the things they do right.

Like sitting next to me as pictured.

large.1829384534_AJTank2.jpg.34bd779fc8450ff4032d5660c0494d21.jpg

The reward could be a toy or a treat.

Whatever your puppy / dog wants to work for.

To some people that sounds like a bribe, not training,

and they want their dog to obey just because they should.

But positive reinforcement training is neither a bribe nor a gimmick.

It’s based on the science of animal learning, and it’s incredibly effective.

I highly recommend doing this with your dog!

:mini-dog-6:

A-Jay

A-Jay, I have three dogs at home. Two terriers and one dachshund. Each morning, I get up at 5 :00 and let them out to go to the bathroom. They come in pretty quickly, especially when it's cold.      When they come in, they all three line up and sit there, in front of the cabinet where we keep they're dog treats, and, I'll give them a small treat.           After doing this so many times, they know the routine. Go out, bathroom, come back in- treat. It's the morning routine at our house. They're smart dogs.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dog's sense, or somehow just know stuff.   I'm home with Covid right now.  (I'm doing OK)  Dolly (yorkie) won't let me out of her sight.   When I go in a room she lays at the door to "guard" me.   She follows me everywhere I go.  She's not normally so "clingy".   She knows something isn't right.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I'm only on my first dog as the primary owner, but I've been around dogs most of my life.  Including some professional hunting dog trainers who have offered me their advice.  Simple repetition and one-word commands, a daily routine, and positive reinforcement has been a successful way to train my current dog.  In fact we just spent 3 hours in the great outdoors yesterday chasing roosters.  Its also been stated that people with dogs live happier, healthier lives.

 

12-5-23 roosters dog.jpg

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
24 minutes ago, Woody B said:

Dog's sense, or somehow just know stuff.   I'm home with Covid right now.  (I'm doing OK)  Dolly (yorkie) won't let me out of her sight.   When I go in a room she lays at the door to "guard" me.   She follows me everywhere I go.  She's not normally so "clingy".   She knows something isn't right.

 

Our #1 Rule here at the Pawz Pack Inn is

"ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS, Trust your dog.".

They operate at/on a higher level that we might not always understand,

but it doesn't mean it's not 100% Spot On.

YMMV

:mini-dog-6:

A-Jay

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

I may be too kind. I have a very smart girl. But for the life of me I can't get her to understand the meaning of personal space and that all beds aren't hers.

Screenshot_20231206_125259_Gallery.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator

My wife says our dogs have me trained and unfortunately she’s correct, I do whatever they tell me haha

 

if I’m at home alone they go inside then outside then inside then outside then dog food then outside then back inside then more dog food. And constantly need petting 

 

if my wife is home alone they sit there like perfect little angels 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love dogs. Had a lab/golden retriever mix as a kid. Looked like a giant golden but was all black. My dad stands 6’2"-6’3" & as an adult he could put his front paws on my dad’s shoulders & look him in the eye. Really good dog but a klutz as a puppy. Many nick nacks fell victim to his tail & uncontrollable happy emotions. Miss him every day.

 

Not much on the majority of cats, though there are a few I’ve liked.

 

Another critter that can be surprisingly somewhat trained (and eaten)….this is Kevin, coming down to see me & get a snack.

IMG_2668.jpeg.3e6642b5830d0ad563a1ba0099e882bf.jpeg
 

He and the rest of his furry hoard probably won’t like your dogs much. It’s unfortunate but come to think of it, most of his kind seem to feel everything not in possession of a peanut or 10 is going to definitely murder them. They come & take peanuts to bury all over the neighborhood, some returning for hours at a time, just like a dog might with a ball.

 

This is Peanut I (deceased). The white bowl was intended to be her water dish. She had other thoughts, obviously, and got an F on this training session, mostly for gnawing the opening in the watering can so she could fit her head in for a drink.

IMG_1883.jpeg.7bc024cf5a5b0d77ff6e2575314afe44.jpeg

 

She was very tame & would patiently wait for me to get home from work so she could bury her beloved namesake. She had 2 different litters of kittens & each year she’d bring them onto our property to wean them. Ironically to the same location in the same tree where I first encountered her.

375ECECD-2EEE-49AD-B408-6F3B555774A3.jpeg.80ea2ea2bc158becba3e3d51dddd1379.jpeg

 

Sorry for hijacking, just wanted to share. I love (most) animals.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's our every day, @GreenPig. Bully breeds see any space with their people in it as "our" space. Once SWMBO gets home, they're never more than a couple feet from her, and if she's sitting still, they're sitting on her.

 

My cats are dope. The little one's pretty spicy, though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, RipzLipz said:

I love dogs. Had a lab/golden retriever mix as a kid. Looked like a giant golden but was all black. My dad stands 6’2"-6’3" & as an adult he could put his front paws on my dad’s shoulders & look him in the eye. Really good dog but a klutz as a puppy. Many nick nacks fell victim to his tail & uncontrollable happy emotions. Miss him every day.

 

Not much on the majority of cats, though there are a few I’ve liked.

 

Another critter that can be surprisingly somewhat trained (and eaten)….this is Kevin, coming down to see me & get a snack.

IMG_2668.jpeg.3e6642b5830d0ad563a1ba0099e882bf.jpeg
 

He and the rest of his furry hoard probably won’t like your dogs much. It’s unfortunate but come to think of it, most of his kind seem to feel everything not in possession of a peanut or 10 is going to definitely murder them. They come & take peanuts to bury all over the neighborhood, some returning for hours at a time, just like a dog might with a ball.

 

This is Peanut I (deceased). The white bowl was intended to be her water dish. She had other thoughts, obviously, and got an F on this training session, mostly for gnawing the opening in the watering can so she could fit her head in for a drink.

IMG_1883.jpeg.7bc024cf5a5b0d77ff6e2575314afe44.jpeg

 

She was very tame & would patiently wait for me to get home from work so she could bury her beloved namesake. She had 2 different litters of kittens & each year she’d bring them onto our property to wean them. Ironically to the same location in the same tree where I first encountered her.

375ECECD-2EEE-49AD-B408-6F3B555774A3.jpeg.80ea2ea2bc158becba3e3d51dddd1379.jpeg

 

Sorry for hijacking, just wanted to share. I love (most) animals.

Out here our squirrels drink sweet tea. Kevin might like it.

Screenshot_20231206_152014_Gallery.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
7 minutes ago, galyonj said:

 

My dogs think anybody that works for free is a schmuck.

LOL ~ 

Sometimes I feel like a human treat dispenser . . . . 

(We use a different flavor of the same dry food we feed them).

In every pocket, in every coat.

Ice cubes are big deal for some reason as well. 

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same. Both of ours are seriously food motivated, which makes training pretty easy.

 

The little one loves water cookies; he'll shake you down for 'em if he catches you at the fridge. The big one isn't a fan, but is so scared she'll be left out that she takes one anyway.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
9 minutes ago, galyonj said:

Same. Both of ours are seriously food motivated, which makes training pretty easy.

 

The little one loves water cookies; he'll shake you down for 'em if he catches you at the fridge. The big one isn't a fan, but is so scared she'll be left out that she takes one anyway.

When we foster, at least half the trick is to find out what 

"The Treat of choice is".

Sometimes it's everything, other times it's nothing.

The nothing dogs are an entirely different training experience.

That's when we rely on 'the pack' to really help us out.

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, GreenPig said:

Out here our squirrels drink sweet tea. Kevin might like it.

Screenshot_20231206_152014_Gallery.jpg

That’s awesome GreenPig. Looks like a grey, if I’m not mistaken. None of those in my neighborhood, mostly fox & around 3-4 red squirrels which just appeared in the past few years. However there are greys in IN. The reds (or pineys as some call them) are smaller than fox or greys but very tenacious guarding their food. Too wild to hand feed. Fun animals.

 

Sorry - website is saying I’ve reached my reaction limit for the day 😣

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i have had dogs since i was a teenager.  i think they train us as much as we train them.  i've only had one dog that was not trainable,  but he had something wrong with him, i think he was mentally slow. 

 

this one's name was poopily-doo. she was my sweetheart.  the most grateful dog who ever lived. once when i was sick, she laid with me for 14 hours, and skipped food, and bathroom breaks. i miss her so much, i can't even tell you

bWLYbq4.jpg

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator

Oh man @cheezyridr, I have a soft spot for the hound dog ears. My boy Bo has some too, your photo reminded me of this one from about 10 years ago. His face is all gray now (and he’s thicker haha)

 

IMG-3715.jpg
 

here he is now 

IMG-3716.jpg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
48 minutes ago, TnRiver46 said:

Oh man @cheezyridr, I have a soft spot for the hound dog ears. My boy Bo has some too, your photo reminded me of this one from about 10 years ago. His face is all gray now (and he’s thicker haha)

 

here he is now 

IMG-3716.jpg


Is that a polar bear rug? Did you slay a polar bear?!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
24 minutes ago, gimruis said:


Is that a polar bear rug? Did you slay a polar bear?!

It better not be because that dog is beyond dirty. It’s  something off some free chairs my wife got 😂. I made her move it further away from the fire, the dog didn’t even flinch just voluntarily went on a magic carpet ride. I’m sure that synthetic would go up like fireworks 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


  • Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.