Bass boat storage

Go to solution Solved by Riverfisher9,

Hello all, first time posting. This may come off as a stupid question, I don’t know how would you. But just curious if any of y’all came out with any creative ideas. I want to get my hands on my first bass boat! But the thing is, I have no where to store it. I can’t afford a boat payment and a garage unit. I don’t have a yard to store it in. Any suggestions. Thank you all!

Always good to ask questions --- especially here -- the Bass Resource community is filled with wisdom/knowledge.

Not sure where you are at (northern or southern climate) and what you might encounter weather wise (ie, snow, rain).

Perhaps someone in your area has extra space (ie, in their yard, in a no longer used barn/garage, near a cabin they only use a few times a year ?). Some people may shy away from doing this based on potential liability.

If you have "Fair Grounds" in your area perhaps they may offer storage at a reduced rate during their off-season. 

I have no doubt others will add in their thoughts to help you find a solution.

• Super User

If you can't afford a bass boat and have no place to store it, my advice would be forget about it.  Do you have a sizable tow vehicle to even haul it?  These are generally things that boat owners have.  If I didn't have a place to store mine or the means to afford one, I wouldn't have one.

You might consider a kayak or canoe.  You don't need nearly as big of a place for storage and it would cost substantially less than a bass boat.  Lots of yak anglers on here to help.

• Like 4

What part of the country are you in? As mentioned above I have friends that store their boats in barns that the farmers aren’t using anymore at a very reasonable price. On a side note make sure when you buy the boat to get a good high end cover for it.

• Super User

I live in a townhouse and struggled with the same question.  I checked into commercial storage at parks, marinas, commercial storage places... regularly checked Craigslist and FB for garages for rent, etc.  I occasionally found secure affordable storage, or secure storage with electric outlet access, but never both.  For nearly ten years I stuck to a combination of kayak and Jon boat rental (with my own small outboard and TM).  It wasn't until I bought a place with garage and land that I could make it work for me.  

I always believed there were lots of underutilized garages and carports around that I could find something to rent, but never stumbled into one.  Good luck.

By the way, kayak fishing turned out to be immensely satisfying, and I'm glad for how well that worked out for me.

• Like 2

When you say "boat payment" what boat are you researching?

You can find lots of different boats at different price points. Sold my old Rich Line for $2,200, it fished the lakes in our area well.

2024-03-13_7-27-56.jpg.a832c3abe5e8747c4e641251f859aa19.jpg

In my opinion, finding a place to store a boat is more difficult than finding an actual boat. Heck, even finding a place to store a Kayak or canoe can be difficult. Friends? Relatives? Neighbors? Put the word out and keep looking.

I stored the boat above at an outdoor RV storage area...I think it was $22 per month.

If you really want to get a boat, maybe adjust your budget, downsize boat, and factor in storage. Find a way.

• Like 1

• Super User
1 hour ago, DaubsNU1 said:

I stored the boat above at an outdoor RV storage area...I think it was $22 per month.

Ha!  I wish we had that available here.  When I was going to restore my dad's bass boat I looked into storage here.  My garage is only 19'10" and 7'8" wide at the doors, so an 18' bassboat wouldn't fit.  The best I found was going to be an outdoor storage unit in a 20' space for $80 a month to start.  The regular price was $125 a month.  I mean, we could swing it and I nearly pulled the trigger on it, but for $22 a month I'd sign a 5 year lease.

@casts_by_fly, sounds like your search should concentrate on boats that fit the existing space.

Mine is a tight fit, and stored at an angle...but it fits.

And it is Ranger approved : )

image.png.519e44dd154aa77c7519090c93505cbc.png

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Riverfisher9 said:

But the thing is, I have no where to store it. I can’t afford a boat payment and a garage unit. I don’t have a yard to store it in.

You're in a pickle, and with those parameters like Gimruis said, I don't think a bass boat will work in your scenario. I think getting one would create more headaches, problems, and stress. Stick with the kayak until your situation changes. Also look into joining a local bass fishing club as a co-angler that will get you on a boat several times a year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Riverfisher9 said:

Hello all, first time posting. This may come off as a stupid question, I don’t know how would you. But just curious if any of y’all came out with any creative ideas. I want to get my hands on my first bass boat! But the thing is, I have no where to store it. I can’t afford a boat payment and a garage unit. I don’t have a yard to store it in. Any suggestions. Thank you all!

Consider Sea Eagle Inflatables. Seriously.

Good Fishing

• Super User
1 hour ago, DaubsNU1 said:

@casts_by_fly, sounds like your search should concentrate on boats that fit the existing space.

And it is Ranger approved : )

image.png.519e44dd154aa77c7519090c93505cbc.png

I'm not actively searching anymore.  I still want one and I know what the right thing is for around here and me (16' decked out V bottom with a 9.9), but my wife has no interest in my getting a 'boat'.  So I have my 'kayak' which is more boat like than lots of boats and we're good with that.  I browse marketplace and if something were to pop up at a crazy price I might just go buy it (I've been tempted twice now) but What I've got works for me.  

The fact is " boats are expensive to maintain" no way around it !!  If proper storage is out of your reach, then consider another hobby.  Around me I see numerous boats that are less than 15 years old that are junk sitting in peoples yards because they could not keep up maintenance costs, some still making payments on them.  Think about something very portable like a car topper or inflatable until you get into a position where you have access for proper storage and security.  

Not really any secrets.  Find reliable and secure storage with electricity first...Then look for a boat that fits whatever you find. 

You'll have better luck of you have a good network...Join a local bass club, fish some tournaments, make some friends.  Someone will probably have a line on a place to store a boat.  

A lot depends on where you live I suppose, I know around me there's very few options for what you're looking for.  Most people I know that store their boat like this have a connection to someone with land or something, very few store their boat somewhere "public".  Good luck, hope you work it out. 

4 hours ago, GaryH said:

What part of the country are you in? As mentioned above I have friends that store their boats in barns that the farmers aren’t using anymore at a very reasonable price. On a side note make sure when you buy the boat to get a good high end cover for it.

I’m in pa. Don’t know anyone with land. I live a row home in a city

2 hours ago, Junger said:

You're in a pickle, and with those parameters like Gimruis said, I don't think a bass boat will work in your scenario. I think getting one would create more headaches, problems, and stress. Stick with the kayak until your situation changes. Also look into joining a local bass fishing club as a co-angler that will get you on a boat several times a year.

My situation ain’t gonna change. At least not for years and years. As far co angling I’ve thought of it, but can’t really find much. Any pointers to put me in the right direction? I’m in pa. Main bodies of water don’t have tournaments with that option.

• Super User
3 hours ago, DaubsNU1 said:

Isn't your boat pretty new?  I'm surprised that the trailer didn't come with a swing-away tongue.  I thought pretty much every new boat came with that option on the trailer nowadays to save space.

• Super User

If you're looking into getting a new boat, or a newish used boat on loan, I'd forget it and get a cheaper and older used boat.  That way you have money for storage fees, maintenance, and repairs.  If you were thinking of buying a cheaper and older used boat, then I wouldn't do it. 

Even cheap boats are pretty expensive.  You need to budget a lot more money towards a boat than you'd initially think.  You've got registration fees, boat usage fees, repair and maintenance fees, storage fees, and all kinds of other hidden costs.  A lot of people buy a boat thinking it's only the cost of the loan and insurance, and wind up financially strapped because of all of these hidden costs.  

You might look into a small jon boat, older bass boat or something a lot less expensive to give you more financial room to maneuver.  Or just keep using your kayak.  Bottom line is, if you can't afford to store your boat, then you definitely can't afford a boat.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riverfisher9 said:

Any pointers to put me in the right direction? I’m in pa. Main bodies of water don’t have tournaments with that option.

I think there are a good amount of bass clubs that run the Susquehanna River, and Delaware River.

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/forum/27-bass-clubs/

Or ask here if anyone wants a fishing buddy: 

There are lots of nice people on this forum that have open seats, just ask. Please be polite and courteous and know the rules of the road though, such as offering to chip in for gas or ramp fees. I was fortunate enough to spend time in Lake Winnepausaukee and a forum member took me out on his boat, it was like a guided trip.

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

Isn't your boat pretty new?  I'm surprised that the trailer didn't come with a swing-away tongue.  I thought pretty much every new boat came with that option on the trailer nowadays to save space.

@gimruis, yes, it has swing-away tongue. When I position the boat right, it's not needed.

• Like 1

• Solution
2 hours ago, Bankc said:

If you're looking into getting a new boat, or a newish used boat on loan, I'd forget it and get a cheaper and older used boat.  That way you have money for storage fees, maintenance, and repairs.  If you were thinking of buying a cheaper and older used boat, then I wouldn't do it. 

Even cheap boats are pretty expensive.  You need to budget a lot more money towards a boat than you'd initially think.  You've got registration fees, boat usage fees, repair and maintenance fees, storage fees, and all kinds of other hidden costs.  A lot of people buy a boat thinking it's only the cost of the loan and insurance, and wind up financially strapped because of all of these hidden costs.  

You might look into a small jon boat, older bass boat or something a lot less expensive to give you more financial room to maneuver.  Or just keep using your kayak.  Bottom line is, if you can't afford to store your boat, then you definitely can't afford a boat.  Th

@Riverfisher9 if you ever get up to northern Pa. Send me a msg. If I’m around I’d gladly take you out fishing. 

• Like 1

Yeah the way your speaking I see absolute disaster with boat ownership for you based on finances alone. You know boat stands for "bust out another thousand". You can get a sweet kayak for $1500 new. 

It is a terrible idea to buy a boat then have to sell it for less just because you can't afford it. 

• Like 1

One thing to add, storage spots are not only hard to come by, but reliability from year to year is not always good.  Often a storage unit will change owners, raise prices, bump you out for a friend, local codes can change as to no more public storage......unless it is your own, or you have a long term contract, storage arrangements can change over nite !!  I would never trust public storage, way to many horror stories. Find a fishing buddy with a boat is your best option...

Where at in PA are you?  Your name is river fisherman have you considered getting a small Jon boat with a removable jet outboard? It’s not ideal “bass boat” but would get you on the water in your own vessel.